Guest asking if we offer military discount

I guess I have not even thought of this. I read some previous posts about this and saw varying opinions.
I think I would like to as my husband was military and several uncles, all Marines. Do I ask for proof. How do I apply discount? I saw someone giving a rebate after their stay? How does one go about doing that… still learning here!

You could refund 10% or whatever after check in and they provide military ID

The question becomes if you advertise it, is it active duty, retired or all vets? I am in the latter group and Lowes gives me 10% but most businesses do not.

RR

2 Likes

My husband was in Marine Corp and we know most businesses do not.
If I am not near the property, how do I request the military ID?

Tell the guest to snap a picture and send it on the platform they will not complain about that they want the discount. If they have not booked yet tell them once you get it you will send a special offer, if they already booked you can send the refund through the resolution center.

RR

2 Likes

That’s what I’ve done with some guests. I use the resolution center. Find on the reservation where is says “send or request money” and click there. I do it after the reservation is over because I’d be pissed if I gave someone a discount and then there was a problem like a stain or something broken or left extra messy.

I never discount if asked in advance, I alone determine discounts and when they will be applied and if you ask for it you probably will be turned down.

I have a guest now who booked full price and said she was military awaiting deployment. When she asked if she could add on 3 more nights I offered the discount.

9 Likes

You can simply send him money through the platform at the end of their stay after you check to make sure everything looks in order.

I have given discounts to some return guests (this is not an invitation to talk about direct-booking :japanese_ogre:) and have done that by just doing a reservation update. I just change the total amount and then they accept the update. If you do this right away, the higher charge (without the discount) won’t get charged to the guest, it will be updated before the charge goes through.

2 Likes

I offer a Military discount and extend it to families coming to stay for a BMT graduation. It’s advertised in my rental titles and listings.

A commercial establishment, which we are can ONLY ask to see a Common Access Card (CAC ID) or Military identification card, because copying it is against the law to verify military affiliation or to provide government rates for services. We can’t photocopy it nor can the person that it has been issued to.

To date I have never asked to see one because their profile usually indicts it or they are coming for a BMT graduation which is also easy to find out. I just take their word for it being true. If I ever do find myself questioning whether it’s true, my staff can verify this by asking at check in to see the ID.

5 Likes

My husband brought up a pretty valid point. He is a vet and essentially by offering them a discount taking $$ out of this veteran’s pocket…

7 Likes

How very true, I have not been asked for a military discount but in light of your husbands wisdom I would be less inclined to give one. That plus I do not liked be asked for discounts at all, it rubs me the wrong way. And before someone chimes in and reads my other post about getting a discount at lowes, I did not ask for that, they asked me was I a vet and set up the discount.

RR

3 Likes

I’m not a veteran and I’ve already gotten way more than my share from the GI Bill (disabled vet dad) so I can continue my military discount with a clear conscience.

5 Likes

Yes, Airbnb follows that law. If you contact Airbnb, about the military discount another team will take over and work with you about it.

What law? There is no law entitling members of the military to a discount.

2 Likes

What are you talking about?

And welcome to the forum

RR

1 Like

The posts of this new member are oddly brief and lacking in detail. I can’t wait to see where they are really going with it.

2 Likes

So Josie0811, what did you end up doing? I am in the same situation now and not sure what to do. First this lady asked for a discount when I kindly responded no (I did not bother to tell her I am already significantly cheaper than my competitor). She said okay but now is asking me if I offer military discount.

We did offer them one but she never booked and I never heard back. Someone above brought up a good point since my husband was military, that it was taking money out of another veterans pocket (my husbands), to allow them a discount so I am not sure we will offer this in the future.

1 Like

Just say no, and politely wish her well in finding accommodation within her price range. Then block of her dates for a few hours.

If you can fill it with folks happy to pay your price, better avoiding someone who undervalues what you are offering.

JF

3 Likes

I wouldn’t block though.

1 Like

Depends if you have IB activated or not I suppose.

JF