Guest asking if we offer military discount

Regardless it makes no sense to block it.

Does if you have IB activated, means she canā€™t, for a few hours anyway, book it regardless.

JF

I block dates sometimes if I donā€™t want someone to book them. Or sometimes I just raise the prices very dramatically. I give it some time and then unblock or change the prices. Sure, they wonā€™t get booked for a bit, but thatā€™s the idea. Better no guest than the guest I specifically do not want.

4 Likes

I frequently temporarily block dates. Sometimes itā€™s due to my schedule, sometimes because Iā€™ve gotten an inquiry I donā€™t like the sound of. Itā€™s one of the more useful techniques to manage guests when you have no restrictions IB like I do.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I will. I hate saying no but now it is getting easier. It is amazing the amount of people that ask and then respond with it doesnā€™t hurt to ask. :roll_eyes:

Itā€™s amazing to me that people almost never ask me. It must be the difference between a small room for one night and booking a whole house.

1 Like

We just got our first inquiry that asked for a discount. I said no. But then I also told the man that (a) we donā€™t accept children (he was planning to bring three ā€œlittle onesā€) and (b) he wanted to rent our ā€œapartmentā€; we donā€™t offer an apartmentā€”just a room and bath in our shared house.

Guessing heā€™s not much of a reader.

5 Likes

I have a very small sample size but it confirms a high correlation between non readers and guests with other characteristics that make them undesirable guests.

2 Likes

You already said no, at this point I would block the dates on the calendar and let her book somewhere else. Sounds like a real PITA

RR

You win the (non existent) award for best comment of the day, yesterdayā€¦ lol, that I readā€¦

RR

2 Likes

I would block the guest not the listing.

the only way I see possible to send a picture on the platform is using the app on your phone. you canā€™t attach a pic on the website, on the laptop.

The problem with this strategy is that ā€œblock the guestā€ is no longer readily available. Best I can tell we much now call Airbnb to block a guest. Block a date is a simple mouse click on the calendar and can be done instantly before they book. If they IB I can use one of my free online cancellations as well but Iā€™d rather just push them to find a different place to begin with.

1 Like

I agree whether or not it works is sporadic. Fortunately I get through Airbnb really easily so itā€™s only a matter of minutes for me to get them to block a guest. Low season here so donā€™t want to block dates in my calendar.

3 Likes

I do as well but I try not to call them often. Itā€™s annoying that they removed the option to block guests. It must have been abused.

1 Like

I think you may be right, but they still have a section on the Airbnb Help saying how you can do it.

I have only had to phone them once to a block a guest about a year ago. And have only called them once since, so donā€™t think they see me as one of those nuisance hosts who call them for the slightest thing :slight_smile:

LOL. Yes, itā€™s well established on this forum that those steps havenā€™t worked for many months now. Luckily itā€™s not a feature I need to use often.

1 Like

I totally agree. I have been rebuffing so many requests for discounts, itā€™s ridiculous. And hearing that people coming to Hawaii have a certain ā€œbudgetā€ā€¦perhaps they should re-think coming to Hawaii.

Weā€™ve had so much money lost because of the pandemic and all the cancellations and the many months with no income (as all of you have) and I find it a bit rude that so many people ask for it. Typically I tell them that we already have our prices set at competitive rates. Butā€¦a military discountā€¦every generation of my family was in the military.

2 Likes

I dated someone in the military for two years who always asked for a discount everywhere we went. Itā€™s not a practice I cared for. Best discount of all was staying in the military hotels. When we went to the bay area in 2002 we stayed in one in Novato across the bridge in Marin County. It was a drive into the city but convenient to Muir Woods and the Sonoma-Napa wine country. At $35 a night vs $100+ in the city, it was the best deal Iā€™ve ever seen.

2 Likes

My husband and I are both veterans and we NEVER ask about military discounts if itā€™s not advertised. We do take advantage of the ones that we are aware of but we donā€™t go looking for them. It irritates me that some military people, active, retired or vets, feel they are ENTITLED to a discount. All of us since the end of Vietnam are VOLUNTEERS. We got paid for our service and we should have known what we were getting into.
I have known vets who would plan out their day on Nov 11th to score as many free meals and other things as possible. SMH

2 Likes