Guest asking for Tax Excemption and payment catalog as lodging

Hi - Just received an instant book. The Guest wants to check in on Wednesday, Nov. 8th and put this in his comments: “Traveling for state of Florida. I have a tax exemption number if it is possible to get the taxes I can stay at your place. If not, I have to stay at a hotel. My work cell is 8502514175 if you want the tax emeption number. If you cannot help with this issue please reject my request. Finally the payment would need to be catalogued as lodging not entertainment. Thanks” - Never had a request like this. His verification says he works for the Florida Department of Agriculture. Is this even possible through airbnb? (tax exemption and catalog as lodging)

What a strange request.

One for you to call Airbnb about I suggest.

When I travel for work my office takes care of all payments directly and would claim back any relevant taxes.

If he has made a confirmed booking it is the guest not you who would have to cancel the booking.

4 Likes

Yea, thought it was odd too, and decided to message AirBnB. They got right back to me, in minutes! Here’s their reply in case anyone else comes across this:

Hello Heidi! This is Sandra with Airbnb Support.

I have checked your reservation with William and what he is asking is not possible.

The reservation is accepted as originally planned. This means the payment has been done and TAX has already been applied.

Whenever anyone asked anything financial, my response is…
Airbnb takes care of all financial details, you will have to contact them to answer your questions.

Also - in my opinion - he instant booked. You should not be considering cancelling. If it doesn’t fit his needs, he will need to do all cancelling - whether he just does it, or if airbnb does it for him. He booked on an instant book - this was pretty stupid of the guy if he wasn’t sure it could be done to meet his special requests.

6 Likes

Good response, and I will use it in the future! Last season, my first time hosting, went so smooth. This season is a rocky start. I cancelled his reservations and now I regret it because according to the rules I’ll loose my super host status and my calendar stays blocked for 3 days. Ugh, that’s what happens when you’re new to this. I’m going to write back to Airbnb and see what they say.

I wouldn’t write back @heidibarrett call them now and explain what happened. I am fairly sure that when you go to cancel a booking as a host, Airbnb tell you there will be penalties involved. Did that not come up for you?

I would also suggest you take the time to read through Airbnb Help Centre to help you understand how Airbnb works. You are running a business so it’s important to understand key policies like host cancellations.

I would also suggest if you have IB turned on, turn it off so you can manage each booking on a case by case basis until you are more confident that you know how things work.

4 Likes

@Helsi, I appreciate the advise. Yes, the messages came up, and the repercussion clearly didn’t hit me until I finalized the cancellation. I did write them back, but, will take your advise and call instead. Big lesson learned, and you’re right, this is a business and I shouldn’t take it lightly.

2 Likes

I’m surprised Air hasn’t figured this out for US market since they are so interested in business bookings. I’m with the federal government and we’ve fairly recently started allowing Uber for business travel expenses (apparently our overlords are now comfortable with Uber insurance coverage) but not Airbnb yet. Government rate lodging is recognized as tax exempt in several US states and localities and our offices do give us an exemption form to carry about. Air may be missing a yuuuuge market here!

1 Like

@dpfromva, yes, agreed. I was surprised they couldn’t do a tax exemption either. Yes, this is a large market in the US.

@Helsi, I called Air, they understood, and immediately waived all penalties. I was really impressed with their quick response, and that they understood the cancellation was not malicious, but, simply an error in judgement on my side. Really appreciate your advise!

6 Likes

It sounds like your guest has a resale number and incorrectly believes that the tax is sales tax. However, even if the tax was sales tax not hotel tax the guest wouldn’t be eligible to have taxes waived on this purchase as the stay won’t be resold to a final purchaser who would pay sales tax.

I’m so glad you managed to sort this out with expert hosts advising. I really get so cross with people who Instant Book but attach conditions to their booking. I’ve found Air are always helpful when they do. I hope your second season gets better!

Nice try!!! Wonder if other hosts fall for it. He probably gets a per diem and wants to maximize his allowance.

1 Like

Hotel tax exemption is definitely something Airbnb needs to accomodate if they want to expand their business traveler segment.

I had a recent guest ask if I accept “TSA numbers from FEMA.” I just replied that she needed to contact Airbnb as they process payments.

@Joan, thank you, I’m optimistic it will go fine.

@konacoconutz, I never even thought about this. You’re right, probably a per diem. Well, he won’t get it through me now.

2 Likes

There goes that lobster dinner!

3 Likes

A federal (and I presume a State) employee would not get any extra $$ themselves for asking for a lodging tax exemption, and may be required to attempt to get such an exemption by their government employer. Like anything governmental, it’s complicated. Federal travel using a Government Services Administration centrally billed account is always tax exempted by law; travel using a government issued credit card may or may not be depending on jurisdiction.
You need to be on official business for such an exemption.
Separate from the tax issue, some hotels offer “government rate” (geographically determined lodging cost maximum) to anyone with a valid government ID, even if on vacation, as a marketing/ positioning thing like offering an active duty military special rate.

2 Likes

Where you can “make money” is on the meals & incidentals per diem (daily stipend, again geo-determined). It is administratively costly to process actual cost vouchers so the govt has come up with an allowance. Yes, I have known folks to eat crap at fast food places for years, and save up their per diem reimbursement so thay can buy that Porsche or whatever, Not my style!

1 Like

But the twit instant booked! If work will pay for a hotel, why cause all this grief for you? Imagine my eye roll…