Guest asking about possible visitors during stay - please review my draft "sorry but no"

Just in case there is a better way to handle - I would appreciate a quick review.
Situation. A couple staying for 1 night (Jan 12-13) asked this:

Terry wrote this:
Jeff, I don’t know if they will come over, but it is possible that our daughter and son-in-law may drop over and see the unit while we are staying at your place. If they do come over, they probably will not stay more than an hour or so. Terry

Here is my Draft response:

Hi Terry,

Happy New Years. We appreciate that you brought this up with us before your stay.

Sorry, additional guests and visitors are not allowed. Just you and your husband.

Thank you for your consideration and understanding.

Regards,

Jeff and Amy

3 Likes

If you are rigid about it then I don’t see any better way to handle it. FWIW, I wouldn’t stay anywhere this rigid about visitors. So regardless of how you worded it I would be canceling my booking with you.

I understand why people don’t allow visitors but it certainly doesn’t give you any competitive advantage to be so rigid.

13 Likes

I think the draft is fine assuming you have no visitors in your house rules. I don’t have a problem with visitors, but each host is different.

3 Likes

I’m sure I would allow the visitors. Why won’t you?

Do you have a front door camera that will show you when visitors arrive and leave? We have that. But even before we did, I’m certain we would have allowed these visitors and would thank the guests for letting us know in advance.

6 Likes

Given that they’re family this seems unnecessarily harsh to me. We have a lot of people staying with us who are seeing their kids at the local Uni, and we always facilitate the kids visiting their parents - we’ve even given them breakfast on occasion. It’s also a good way to spread the word about us - one student says to another “my mum and dad were here at the weekend and they stayed in a really nice place” - “Oh yes? - where was it?” etc! Word of mouth is a good way of publicity!

11 Likes

It sounds like the adult children want to stop by to see if they would recommend the place to others visiting them. Unless they really just like looking at random Airbnb’s. Either way, it doesn’t sound like these are the types of visitors would cause more work for you, but may get you more visitors of a known quality.

2 Likes

I’ve never prohibited visitors. Once as many as 6 people in my little 200 sf space. I don’t know where they all stand. LOL. But I only allow 2 to book and clearly state that 3 people arriving to stay the night will be cancelled immediately.

2 Likes

I hope you give them a chance to cancel penalty free if you are going to be so strict about visitors. Is this a stand alone apartment or a room in your house?

RR

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with visitors. Our listing states that guests can have visitors only during daylight hours.

As @southendbootboy says, it’s free advertising. And it works. We had a couple stay with us several years ago who were in just the position as the OP’s guests - visiting son and daughter in law. The younger couple have booked several times for friends coming into town.

I like the idea that people want to show off our place to their relatives.

5 Likes

Oh you would. Why do you have to turn every negative into a positive? :wink:

2 Likes

It’s so annoying, isn’t it? :wink:

5 Likes

Why wouldn’t you allow day visitors in these circumstances @Jefferson?

Seems rather short-sighted, as they would then be in a position to recommend your place for other visitors.

A better way to handle it is to thank them for letting you know and offer the daughter in law a discount/direct booking for other friends/relatives who might be interested in your place.

2 Likes

Seems like @Jefferson is just asking for a bad review. It seems so unreasonable not to allow a couple of visitors for an hour.

RR

3 Likes

Yeah, considering he is probably still recovering from the early 4 star review he complained about that would be a consideration. Probably best to just cancel the booking under “not comfortable, guest wants to violate rules.”

I would allow it. The guests were nice to inform you about it and it’s about their kids. They are not having a party or anything like this. One time, I as a guest was in a similar situation. I booked a bedroom with my bf. A couple of friends (husband and wife) wanted to stop by out room to change clothes for a formal event. They had driven for 4 hrs to attend this event and just wanted a place to change (otherwise they should have done it in the restaurant’s restroom). They were serious people, the wife university professor. So I asked my host and she said yes and they came over, changed and stayed for a bit until we got ready and the 4 of us went to the event. I would have felt very bad if our host had said “no”. I mean, there are situations and situations. I, as a host, try to assess each request separately. I would not blindly apply a “no visitors” policy to everyone.

5 Likes

And they will just try to sneak them in…

1 Like

Jeez… Harsh. It’s not like they are throwing a dinner party or anything. I am trying to think of the review that you are gonna get if you go through with not allowing them to let their kid and spouse visit for a WHOLE HOUR.

Maybe the “Hospitality” business is not what you are cut out for.

4 Likes

Heck no!!! They do t get to call the shots against your house rules!

I allow visitors as long as they are pre-approved, name, address age and selfie. I also have a maximum capacity requirement and state that they have to leave by quiet time (10 pm).

I would agree if they had ASKED, as stated…entitled therefor no go. Charge them their extra guest fees.

Now with that said, I have allowed people to have guests over like that for free when they asked and when they were respectful about all other aspects. When people are honest and respectful with me they sometimes get extra refunds, perks, guests, etc. majority of the time I don’t get screwed in the end…but when I do it just irks me even more…

1 Like