Guest asked me to change my cancellation policy

Yes, that is it right there @Miyima. I was just telling a friend today I wish I could lower my prices a bit but as soon as I do, I start booking all sorts of “problems”. I like smaller groups (4 people) but at that price point I get the problem folks who want to pay for 4 and bring 7. So I price for my max capacity of 6 but now I get fewer of those smaller groups I like unless they are older folks who want a little more space and can afford it. The good news is I’ve also had lots of great guests since I raised my prices, just not as many as before. Fewer but better stays making about the same profit. So, guess I should not be too sad :slight_smile: Things are suddenly very slow after a record month so we will see.

It turned out that they were very good guests, discreet, calm and respectful. (The husband is a Frenchman working in the US and his wife is an adopted Korean with American parents.) They have left our studio reasonably clean after their stay of 16 nights. They were in Nice for their vacation and family visits. I had learned from this forum and offered to change their bed linen and towels in the middle of their stay. (Before, I just left a set of new linen in a drawer.) It is an excellent idea. I was able to wash the linen before it got too dirty and they were very happy and grateful. Thanks folks. I have learned a lot from you guys. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As i am allowed to post now, thought maybe you want an update. i told her to cancel the reservation and when she cancels the reservation im gonna give her 50% - fees refund for the days she canceled. Now we are at the point that she doesent know how to cancel the reservation. But she accepted the fact that i wont modify the reservation in any case. Now i have to find out what is air bnb alteration tool and navigate her t ocancel it, should i tell her to cancel the reservation like tomorow/day after tomorow or it will be ok if the reservation is canceled like 5 days in advance? Thannk you all for the golden advice here <3

But those kinds of issues are the exception, not the norm. I’m just pointing out that your viewpoint is naturally skewed because you spend time on forums where people specifically come to talk about the exceptions, about the nightmares, the dirty tricks and despicable double twists.

You are not being exposed to the norm which is a bunch of perfunctory customer service calls that go exactly as expected and interactions with guests (even ones that want a refund but don’t get one) that are too dull to post about it. It’s a bit of fear-mongering which is inherently harmful. I don’t imagine that that was your intention, but only that your POV is skewed from reading forums (not that I don’t relate ,)

1 Like

It’s definitely true that most hosts only post on forums when they have some problem arise- if everything is going along great, people tend not to come to a forum to say that.

And I agree that most guests are fine. But we don’t have any statistics on how many aren’t, and from posts I read, there seems to be a pattern these days with the type of guests who try to demand refunds and being denied, then “get even” by reporting the host for some bogus issue. There’s a lot of online chatter these days where unethical guests advise each other how to scam refunds, even if you aren’t aware of them.

There’s nothing wrong with hosts being made aware of this possibility, IMO, just like we try to make each other aware of those scam inquiries where they try to get you to click on some link, or tell you their company will pay, but the guest won’t actually stay and so how about splitting the profits?

Even though I assume the majority of hosts don’t get those scam inquiries, it’s good to be aware of them beforehand in case you ever do, as far as I’m concerned. You may never spin out on an icy road, but it’s good to be aware to turn your wheels in the direction of the skid if it ever happens, no?

There’s a difference between fear-mongering and being forewarned based on other hosts’ experiences.

3 Likes

Tell her to go to “Trips” and then select the trip she wants to cancel (your place) and then click “cancel”.

I hope she’s just dense and not playing with you. She may be stalling. Did you give her a deadline to cancel the trip? The deadline is the most important part. It needs to be canceled as soon as possible, give her a deadline.

Or at least spell it out for and remind her that you can’t get her dates re-booked until she cancels so that your calendar opens up. That the longer she waits to cancel the less likely is that she will get any refund.

1 Like

Yeah, tomorow is the last day, i will herp her sort it out. She contacted the admin and he told her to use the alteration tool, ill find that out and navigate her through it.

TOTAL BS that the “Guest is confused about how to cancel” when she knows how to send an alteration. Lying scammer.

That seems silly to me also but I can’t get over how many people are dumbfounded by what should be the most simple of tasks. To be honest, things aren’t always designed or located in/on these apps/websites in an intuitive fashion.

Things feel “easy” now but that’s taken time and repetition, for me anyway. Shoot, I’ve spoken to CS reps who didn’t know how to do basic tasks on the site!

Speaking of…have to say this as it’s killing me…issue with listing being out of synch on a secondary channel…want info from CS on how to force a synch & who initiates & how often. Their response: (1) email your changes and we’ll type them in for you or (2) create a new (duplicate) listing on their site that I can alter directly. WTH!?!? People are being paid real, actual money to say this stuff to us. :weary:
Thank you. Had to get that off my chest.

1 Like

Not much, I’d bet. You know they’re all third party contracted out now, right? They get paid by how quickly they close cases. And they all seem to be working from home. You can hear their kids and dogs in the background. They’re probably cooking dinner or changing diapers while they’re talking to you.

Even before CS got so bad, I used to get ridiculous suggestions from them. When I contacted them years ago to say my text alerts had stopped being sent, the reps first offering was “Maybe your text message inbox is full”.

Yeah, sure buddy. I’m an idiot and wouldn’t have made sure that wasn’t the case before bothering to contact you.

2 Likes

Little update, i contacted the airbnb support explained them the situation and they took my side and the guy told me on the phone that he will call her and cancel the reservation for her if she wants it, without refunds of anything. Im pleaseantly suprissed i must admit. And when i mentioned the scammers he was like yeah… there’s alot of that shady stuff happening. Will update the resolution of the whole situation so future host’s can learn from it as i did. Once again thanks to everybody who helped me in resolving this issue.
Cheers
Bruno

2 Likes

Ok, the reservation is canceled. My dates are avaliable to book. But the thing im not sure about is the total cost of the reservation has changed in the app. Will i owe airbnb the remainder of the reservation, i mean will they take the money from me when i get the next one?

What would be taken out of future payouts is whatever she was refunded that you have already been paid.

Yeah, but she canceled a long term reservation, thats whats weird to me. SHe shouldnt get a refund

Correct, she should NOT get a refund if she CANCELLED, per official Airbnb policy.

1 Like

When you said that the total cost of the reservation has changed, were you talking about the total amount of your revenue for you, or the total amount paid by the guest? The amount of your revenue should stay the same and maybe Airbnb will refund her the gouvernement tax already collected for the cancelled nights.

No no, the new reservation that lasted 17 days less was updated, so basically what ended happening is that it looked like she didnt book the first one at all. Which offcourse trigered the medium return policy… but it is a bug, they are working on fixing the issue. i already got paid but on my expected earnings for this month i had an -x hundreds of dollars which is a no go. im fixing this at the moment.

Translation - the Air agent Fked up and did a Change not a Cancel.

1 Like

I think yeah, But now im looking at it and it is resolved. I owe them 39 euros i guess that is for a discount of some sort i dont know, gonna ask him. But after an emotional rollercoaster i think we will get to the end of this situation with a positive result

Well fixing it 95% would be good enough for me :slight_smile: At this point, would it be worth more phone calls to “maybe fix 39”?

1 Like