Guest asked me to change my cancellation policy

Interesting, so out of curiosity, what is your long term cancellation policy and what is your short, @Mr.B ? How odd they would auto change a cancellation policy once a stay began. That’s screwy.

I am reading on the website now about this. Good information. Even had a link to instructions for the guest to request the change.

Hi Jefferson,

The thing is, if we don’t modify the booking to shorten their stay, the 12 nights will always stay blocked and won’t be able to get rebooked.

As they have already spent 12 nights in the Airbnb of Mr B and are still their, I don’t think the modification of the check-out day will entitle them to 48 hours free cancellation. They have either to accept or decline the modification. Right?

But it’s certainly safer to ask them to cancel the 12 nights themselves. You are right.

It is automatic, i found out that yesterday, when they book for a stay of 28 days or longer the cancelation policy is defined by air bnb (" If the guest cancels the reservation during their stay, the guest must use the online alteration tool in order to agree to a new checkout date. Regardless of the checkout date chosen, the guest is required to pay the host for the 30 days following the cancellation date, or up to the end date of the guest’s original reservation if the remaining portion is less than 30 days.")
But they get a longer stay discount on their daily price which is good for them. As jjd mentioned they basically scam me for the lower price if i modify their reservation to the less than 28 days

1 Like

Everyone’s longterm cancelation policy is the same. There is only one.

I’m curious as well @Mr.B , what is your short term cancelation policy?

@aelilya or anyone else who may be thinking it, well, just change your short term cancelatioin policy to strict before you accept the modification. It’s not possible. Even though guest booked a long term stay, they are still bound to all of the short term stay provisions in the host’s listing at the time of their booking, so a host that doesn’t already use a strict cancelation policy will always be screwed by shortening a long term stay.

That’s because all reservations for 28+ days fall under the long term cancelation policy, there is no choice in it and there is no other option. However, it cannot apply to reservations for less than 28 days.

The long term cancelation policy is really set up like a month-to-month lease, the guest effectively has to give 30 days notice to end the reservation. It really has to be done this way because, legally, the status of the host and the guest change and then the local laws will prevail so it’s best that Airbnb mimic the common lease laws.

2 Likes

There is no way that i will allow anything for them to do as that is the only way i am safe. Only thing i am not 100% sure is if they modify their dates, will my apartment be bookable. I guess if we will find out soon :slight_smile: that why i had cash in mind… for my consciousness

Don’t forget to deduct the long term discount to which they are longer entitled if any.

1 Like

I think i am on flexible, but i am so tired and angry that i cant find it on my profile :frowning:

You have no obligation to modify dates. No one, including Airbnb, expects a host to accept a modification. Let them send it and then ignore it.

Well since it’s worded on the AirBNB as a “cancellation” if they do, like @Jefferson and @JJD were saying, it would be logical that the dates would open. If they do, still, refund in the platform if you feel you must refund. No cash. Please. Don’t pay taxes on money you are giving back.

1 Like

If you aren’t positive that you are on STRICT then you will get screwed. I don’t think you should even put this much energy into it. You do not deserve to be tired or angry over this. It is not your problem. You are using the policies as they are meant to be used and they are fair. You are not the bad guy here, the guests are.

1 Like

@Mr.B I would advise you to stop taking long term bookings through Airbnb. You watch and see- if these scammers don’t get what they want, they’ll probably come up with a bunch of bogus complaints to Airbnb as to why they should be refunded.

1 Like

So don’t do anything especially when you are tired. Just let them talk with Airbnb and cancel the 12 nights if they want them to get rebooked even partially.

2 Likes

(On website) Look under “Menu”, “Listing”, “Policies and rules”. It should be at the top. We all know you’re trying to be fair, but you have to draw the line at your peace of mind. Sorry this is so stressful. That’s one reason why I hate promising refunds if I rebook. Too much extra work for me unless the guest is legit.

1 Like

So don’t accept their modification unless they keep the same amout of payment.

1 Like

You saying this to another host is just as bad as a guest threatening the host. And I never thought I would say this on here but you are not giving Airbnb enough credit.

@Mr.B has already discussed this with Airbnb and they have already supported him in it. They told him that the guest is not entitled to a refund. If the guests, which is truly a very rare occurence (unless you’re on forums all day), decide to make up a bunch of lies in revenge, Airbnb already knows that they are doing it because they aren’t getting a refund. It is already documented.

And in a clear cut situation like this, particularly when they’ve already discussed it with and supported the host in it, Airbnb comes through for the host.

That being said, @Mr.B it would help for you to keep in touch with Airbnb. If it were me, I would go ahead and mention that you fear retaliation, it will help if there turns out to be any.

1 Like

I’m too nervous to take them at all. I admire you all who do it without worry. I thought that if I lived across the way or in the building I’d be ok with it but I don’t think so. I did have one good 4 week stay but they kept extending so not sure that counts. I get nervous that if I didn’t vet well I’m stuck (had that experience & now I’m ruined I guess). Or, people are of the mindset it’s their place and they can do as they wish, which they should have more liberties longer term. Some day, maybe. Y’all can tell me your good LTR stories some other thread.

Don’t accept their modification no matter what. If they send one, just ignore it. You have no obligation to respond to it. Don’t touch it.

If you want to refund them some money then do it another way, but do not touch the modification request.

You should feel free to tell them “no refund”. Per your first post, you said that Airbnb has also told you that the guest doesn’t get a refund.

If you want to cut them a deal, here’s my suggestion. Give them a deadline, some crumbs and an ultimatum.

Tell them that if they cancel right away (give them a deadline, like tonight by 9pm) that you will then give them 50% of their original nightly rate for any nights that you are able to re-book. The other 50% is a tax on stupid and is for your extra trouble. Clarify that you will send any refund due to them not until after you receive the payout for the re-booked nights and that it will be through the resolution center. And then tell them to meet your cancelation deadline or they will get no refund at all and you won’t discuss it again.

And definitely call Airbnb again and get this documented, especially that you know that the guests are not due a refund but that you are offering them a deal. Let Airbnb know that you are concerned about retaliation but are trying to do the fair and right thing. Airbnb will fall over you for that.

The deadline is the most important part. It is to limit any further disturbance to your life. You must look after yourself. If you give them a deadline then it will be done with and decided by them (because they have been given a choice so it is not your problem) by, for example 9pm tonight. Don’t let them drag it out. You don’t get paid enough for all of this extra trouble.

edit to add: @Jefferson taught me about giving deadlines so I want to give credit where due. A deadline is a miracle worker.

2 Likes

Thanks JJD & Jefferson for your good advices. I wasn’t aware of the consequence of modifying the checkout date of a stay already in progress. We have to pay attention not to get screwed.

1 Like

What??? That’s an absurd thing to say. Warning the host that guests who pull these scams tend to make up complaints to convince Airbnb to refund them is not anything like threatening a host.

And I’ve read plenty of posts where the host was told the guest wouldn’t be refunded, only to have Airbnb turn around and refund them after they claim the place was filthy, had bedbugs, etc.

I accepted a booking of 1 month and another of more than 80 days (50% discount) after the lockdown in France in March 2020 when all my reservations were cancelled. They were very bad guests who had left our apartment in a total mess. Each time, my son and I had to spend more than one long day to clean up together.

Very traumatizing experience. When we rent cheap, we attract cheap guests. The rent was so cheap that I made them agree in black and white that they would pay the the part of electricity consumption beyond 200kWh on the day of their departure by approving my request via the resolution centre. We took pictures of the meter reading the first day and the last day together but none of them kept their promise. The first one complained that the electric meter wasn’t working properly although he was aware that he had the heat on at 22°C 24/7 during one month. The second said that her phone was out of order and she added “We’ll see.” But I finally got paid for their electricity consumption after claiming again (with pictures of the meter and screenshot of our messages) through the resolution centre.