Getting on each other's nerves

He crossed the line when he decided to swear and call you names after you raised your concerns in a civil manner.

3 Likes

Muddy, i have experiences this a lot of times: the longer a guest stays, the more issues they find. In my experience this kicks in for any stay longer than 1 week

1 Like

This is curious. I have had several very long term male guests, and they were great. Having said that, all trouble guests were (and presumably still are) male.

The firefighter/ex cop changed the locks today, etc. She said the situation could have been very dangerous. She thinks it may have been grounded in old school thinking about women, point being that thereā€™s not a not I could have done.

We cleaned out the food (thrown out) and packed his things so if he needs to exit itā€™s ready for him.

1 Like

Eh? He is still there? I thought that you booted him days ago?

He left a week ago Saturday. I had to air/clean the room for 4 says. I gave him till yesterday as a deadline, and did all the due diligence (changing locks, etc).

I have heard nothing from him at all. There is an awful lot of stuff here and most of it is not junk. I am going to need to make special arrangements for storage, or, drop it on the lawn of his brotherā€™s (last known address).

I have a call in to a paralegal as to what his rights are. If I sound conflicted, I am.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be interested to hear what you find out about his rights (and your responsibilities). I assume that you have no responsibility to deliver or store his stuff. My inclination would be to donate (or trash) it all. But youā€™re probably right to check on the legalities.

1 Like

We are talking a LOT of stuff here. I have 3 contractor bags full and I am only about half way through. I was all set to donate, but we are into hundreds of dollars here and I donā€™t want to add fat to the fire. In all probability there is no legal president here, and of course the smaller courts are shut down.

1 Like

Regarding Property.

This may be useful. https://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publications/yourstuff/when-it-legal-my-landlord-take-my-things

As a ā€œmere boarderā€ he is screwed. Looks like he should have taken everything when he left, or within 72 hours of leaving, or 72 hours of your written deadline.

So, the safe bet is ā€œanything still there on Nov 6th is yoursā€.

Clearly, you are not looking to be a jerk. He will need clothing, etc. As he has gone dark and flaked out - is there a way to contact his brother? I certainly would not bring his stuff anywhere at all. You have done enough.

Good luck!

1 Like

Mr. Misanthrope remains dark. My room mate had an interesting theory. What if heā€™s in jail?

There is literally over 200 lbs. Of stuff here. I packed it all into the greenhouse and locked it. At the end of November, which would represent the end of time he paid for, I will give it 48 more hours, and then itā€™s open season.

I am being conservative because otherwise it could come around and bite me. With a bit of luck, my roomies, neighbors and the Salvation Army will do very well at the end of the month.