Garbage disposal dos and donts

Does anyone have good wording for letting guests know what NOT to put in the garbage disposal? I generally don’t have a problem with most guests, but in the 3 years I’ve been hosting, the disposal has stopped working twice, and both of those guests put chicken bones in there?!?!

Our guidebook says this:

Disposing of Food: You may use the garbage disposal to process incidental food left-overs. Each sink has one. But please do not put eggshells, onion skins, celery, artichokes, corn husks, banana peels, stone fruit pits/stems, nuts, chicken or other bones, or other fibrous foods down the garbage disposal. Run the water liberally after using the garbage disposal to flush the food down the pipes to the street. In summer you might want to put foods in trash can outside by grills.

Thank you. INCIDENTAL – excellent word to use. I’m guessing people have actually put much of that stuff down your disposal? Always shocking.

Actually, I used to do it myself and I’ve done so for years. Now and then it has got the plumbing or disposal in trouble and the plumbers have advised me not to keep doing that, advising that I am asking for trouble. So I’ve stopped doing it.

We did have a guest get the disposal stuck because they put all the chicken bones from a full chicken down the disposal. That motivated the guidebook instruction above.

I think people who keep putting stuff down the disposal worry that if they put it in the garbage or compactor that it would smell and attract vermin. But we haven’t found that to happen.

I add to keep the water running (if it isn’t super scarce in your area) a bit after all the food goes down. A plumber told me this helped clear the pipe and cooled the disposal motor. I have no idea if it is true but it made sense.

Yes, same thing here.

That’s why our guide says, per above:

1 Like

if people are this concerned, tell them to put the carcass in the freezer (in a bag obviously, or not so obvious to some perhaps?) and then dispose of on check-out day.

3 Likes

Good idea!

This thought that the fear of smelling up the house is a concern is a conjecture on my part. I really don’t know. I am guessing that people’s first inclination is to do here what they do at home.

If I read that sign, “incidental” wouldn’t help me know what to do or not do.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback.

BTW, it’s from our guidebook, not a sign.

What if we said:

Disposing of Food: Please dispose of any food that you want to trash or scrape off plates into the trash. You may use the garbage disposal to process incidental food left-overs that might have stuck to your plates after scraping into the trash. . . .

2 Likes

Thank you again, because as I re-read my initial instructions I get that it is not fully understandable.

Sometimes in my desire to use fewer words [yes, I really want to] I’m pulled back into using more words. Kind of like Michael in The Godfather who says " Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Yeah, it’s just like that.

You did that @PitonView . You pulled me back in.

Just when I thought I was out.

1 Like

Good point!

That’s what the vats of lime are for.

HINT, HINT: For guests whose reviews or conduct . . . shall we say, disappoint us?

Well, I had to look this one up.

This is not only a superacid but the strongest acid in the world!

What we learn at airhostsforum!

So, do you agree with this pronunciation? https://www.howtopronounce.com/fluoroantimonic/27069863

So more like this?

So like floor-o-anti’- mon-ic with the ‘i’ in ‘anti’ pronounced like ‘eye’ or ‘e’ as in equal?

We don’t tend to use garbage disposal systems in the uk as all our food waste gets collected weekly by the council and used as compost for local parks @kelbel

One time a renter peeled tons of potatoes. She stuffed the skins down the disposal. It stopped. We had to come by, hand pull the peels out of the disposal, use the “key” to turn the disposal manually to un-stick it, and then get it going. I nicely suggested that anytime there is that much waste, to put it in the trash. Lordy - what a piece of work she was!

I’ve never had a problem in either of our apartments. Maybe I’m lucky in that most of my guests have always been civilised human beings. :slight_smile:

I’ve had to bung my hand down there a few times to retrieve the odd mangled teaspoon. I grind a half-lemon every turnover and that’s it for waste disposer management…

I had a friend from Canada who called them garberators- LOVE that word!!!

We removed the garbage disposal calls from all of our rentals a long time ago by upgrading all the garbage disposals to 1 horsepower units, people can basically put small trees into them and they’re not going to get clogged.

The first rental we had, we inherited the cheap old garbage disposal from the previous owners and after dealing with it twice at inconvenience times it was off to home Depot, for a high horsepower replacement, they are very easy to install even if you’re not a plumber. We are now going on five or six years without any garbage disposal calls.

1 Like

Like @Helsi our food waste has always been either collected for compost or used in our own compost for our garden. I really thought they were for food scraps. When I’m in someone else’s home I err on the side of safety/politeness so I just don’t use the disposal at an airbnb but if I did, it could be potato peels and it would be innocent.

My suggestion would be, “If you don’t know how to use the garbage disposal. Don’t use it.” or leave very detailed instructions. Until this post, I didn’t know any of any of this.

I did not get the memo about the new qualification! I’m sure you quite understand why I’m now decidedly distraught about the inordinate amount of time I’ve spent learning foreign languages, playing multiple instruments (not the least of which was the oboe), reading that stuffy literature, chewing with my mouth closed and always always dressing for the occasion (even nailing smart casual which I personally find distasteful). And all of those damn manicures. Wtf. :crazy_face:

1 Like