FUND for Superhosts

Ok, whatever is was I was happy to receive it. I’ve been a Superhost consistently since 2015 and I haven’t received an application yet. What is the criteria?

Criteria is 1) longest tenured hosts, 2) Superhost for more than 1 year, 3) lost significant income, 4) the lost rent is a significant part of your income.

I’m thinking it’ll be pretty subjective.

1 Like

I’m not counting on any bookings this year, since I’m an elder with a history of respiratory illness.

None of us should. The travel industry won’t recover until we have a widely available vaccine, which means summer 2021 if we’re lucky.

3 Likes

Ok thanks for the update.

It’s most definitely subjective, and their claim that it’s based on “need” is BS. “Superhost for more than a year”- no, now they have amended say they’re looking at Superhosts for 3-4 years first. And they are first going to compare last year’s earnings for the same time period with this year’s, meaning hosts who show less of a difference won’t even get the application form, which supposedly asks questions to determine “need”.
So Joe Schmo, who lost $10,000 from last year’s numbers, and who is a single guy, with a paid-off house, and who has another well-paying job, will likely receive an application, while Susie Homemaker, who shows a loss of $4000, is a single mom with no other job, 3 dependents and a mortgage to pay, won’t. In other words, the highest-earning hosts, who had the ability to sock away more profits last year if they wanted to, will be the ones to receive the applications, and those who only ever earn enough off their Airbnb bookings to make ends meet, will not.

2 Likes

Good point! I’m going to be pissed if I don’t at least get ask to participate … I’m an 8 year host, Superhost over 3 years, still have a mortgage, retired (so Airbnb income is important), and have a $6,000 decline in rent income from same 3-month period last year versus this year. So we’ll see.

Ed Osterman
Cell: 503-887-2328

@Lindeman6872
Hello. I received an invitation to apply today. I was very surprised by it. I am keeping my fingers crossed to be awarded something, but I’m certainly not counting on it. I wish you all the best of luck as well

2 Likes

May I ask how long you’ve been a host and how many years a Superhost?

Im wondering how my 8 years hosting and 3 years being a Superhost stack up.

@Lindeman6872
Certainly.

I have been a host since 2015. I have been super host off and on since then, usually “on”

I would think that you would be in good standing to receive an invitation based on your experience and good standing. Just my opinion…

I’ve been a host since 2014, I have been a SH every quarter since it was created (and even got an acknowledgement from Airbnb for it. So even being a SH the most you can possibly be one doesn’t put you at the top of any invite list. I’ve had about 800 stays and have 598 reviews. My last Airbnb stay was March 17 and I haven’t gotten an invitation yet. I’m currently closed but have no reservations for the period when my calendar is available (in July).

@KKC
Wow! Amazing. Nice job. Hang in there- two weeks left in the invite period…

Yeah I cannot speak to why I was chosen. And again it remains to be seen if I will get anything

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement; but I’m not concerned. Lindeman just wondered how he would stack up and so was basically saying I don’t think how much or how long you’ve been a superhost (above the required year) is terribly important.

For all we know that are going alphabetically by the second letter of your last name. :wink:

Totally true! None of us really knows…

I think we can safely assume that Airbnb will do this in the same convoluted and non-transparent way they are so well-known for. And it will be full of errors and glitches. My one cancelled COVID reservation on my moderate policy is now marked as not applicable for the 25% refund, which I fully expected- she cancelled 10 days before the check-in. Yet two hosts on the CC, who also had moderate policies and whose guests’ reservations were cancelled also before the 5 day cut-off, and fell into the same time frame of date booked, date cancelled and date of check-in, say they have received the 25% payment.

The questions on the Superhost Relief application would theoretically allow Airbnb to judge need, but the questions were so vague that it will probably boil down to formula giving Joe Schmo the payout and leaving Susie Homemaker high and dry. In the real world, needs-based grants ask for actual numbers and account for dependents, but the application didn’t ask for any such information.

1 Like

Interesting! We are the only two hosts here who have received an invite (or at least fessed up). We both started hosting in 2015. Have you taken any breaks from hosting? I’ve always been a Superhost when actively hosting, but I’ve taken some breaks from hosting. Are you still a Superhost? I took a break in February and intended to reopen in March, but lost my status on April 1. I was surprised I was invited.

What I was trying to explain is that they are supposedly only sending applications to those who show the largest loss of income when comparing last year’s revenue at this time to this year’s (of course they don’t say anywhere how much that loss of income would be- $3000, $10,000? A percentage?). So Susie Homemaker likely won’t even get as far as having an application sent to her, giving her an opportunity to explain why even her relatively small loss of $2000 is devastating to her.
But interesting to hear that the questions they ask are so vague as to not be any real way to assess need. It was pretty obvious to me from when they announced this fund and how they would dole out according to need, that they have no real way of establishing need.

I made $0 in March this year compared to maybe $2500 last March. I consider myself pretty small-time yet I got the message I was chosen due to “how much revenue” I’d lost since this time last year. But your point still stands. Maybe Susie makes $500 a month and Joe makes $3000. That $500 might be a huge about to Susie but she’d be passed up in favor of Joe, whose $3000 is chump change.

1 Like

@Xena
Wow- that IS interesting. I took no breaks… I am currently a SH but haven’t been one for the entirety of my “hosting career” so I was also somewhat surprised to get an invite…

Interesting. I had 0 in March versus about $2500 prior year as well, and I exceed all other qualifiers, but haven’t seen an invitation yet … still hoping.