Full kitchen access of Full home rental: stainless steel or nonstick?

For the past 3+ years, I’ve provided dishwasher safe, non-stick cookware. All were medium to high quality cook ware. Every year, I’ve replaced the cookware due to non-stick surface failure which means someone cooked at a very high temperature for an extended period of time.

It’s replacement time again.

What do you use? Stainless or non-stick? Why? I use a combination at home and am concerned that many of my guests may not know how to clean the burned on bits from stainless. Sometimes for me it is a challenge.

If someone can help me set up a poll, assistance is appreciated. I didn’t find it.

Ceramic

https://www.cookwarejudge.com/top-10-best-ceramic-pan-and-nonstick-frying-pan-reviews.html

> Ceramic skillets have many advantages. The ceramic enhances your cooking process because foods do not stick and they are a breeze to hand wash.

1 Like

I have used non stick and ceramics for years and they never last longer than a year in a totally non stick state. As you say people overheat them (my sons allow the gas flame to go up the sides sometimes) and people use the wrong utensils and cleaning materials.
Buy non stick in the sales as cheaply as possible. Or buy stainless steel, it doesn’t matter whether people know how to clean them because they are difficult to damage even with a steel scrubber. They also need more oil which might be a problem for your drains.

No one should be buying what we used to call “traditional” non-stick cookware. TEFLON is known to be carcinogenic if released into the food, which happens often (hence, the pan is “ruined” since metal spatulas, forks, etc. are used on it).

Get good, stainless steel cookware. that, while they can (and maybe will) get stuck-on food, can always be cleaned with some steel wool and elbow grease.

8 Likes

As a Personal Chef I use Saladmaster titanium but it’s VERY expensive and I would never suggest it for a rental space. I recommend going to a restaurant supply store and buying the low-end stainless pots and pans.

That said, YOU need to scrub that cookware between every guest visit. Do Not depend on a guest (even me) cleaning your pots and pans to your standard.

The problem with non-stick is that some of the coatings (notably Teflon™ out-gas toxic fumes if overheated with nothing in the pan.

6 Likes

We have both. I have two non-stick skillets that get replaced about once a year. The rest are stainless - the Kirkland set from Costco for under $200 US.

Use BarKeeper’s Friend (scouring powder) to clean stainless. Works like magic and not nearly as “scratchy” as a stainless scrubby.

3 Likes

I bought a cheap but good looking set of non stick and will only give them rubber spatulas etc.
My first choice was and will be when this other set is thrown out is Vintage Revere Ware stainless.

2 Likes

I’ve done the same but have realised that ordinary cutlery will be used to inflict just as much damage as a metal spatula. Think I just have to budget to replace everything every year.

2 Likes

Good feedback all.

What about this combo?

1 Like

another vote here for stainless steel, the hardier of the 2 options.
Get a nonstick, and the first guest will cut up the meat in the pan with a steak knife

3 Likes

You could, of course, have a rule or sign about not mistreating the non stick for guests to ignore.

8 Likes

I thinking of having this decent but inexpensive stainless set for routine cooking and the non-stick pans for eggs and other sticky foods.

I’m hoping the stainless will last more than one year and the non-stick fry pans be replaced annually instead of having to replace the entire set every year.

I see this on all my cookware, ruining the surface. I keep asking myself “Do they do this at home? Do they ruin their own cookware or only mine?”

I’ve replaced two sets because guests cooked for a prolonged time on high temperatures. …its an electric stove so it doesn’t cook like a gas stove. Do you think they’ve watched too many cooking shows?

Mine is 20 years old and still going strong. I probably could spruce it up with some Barkeepers Friend if I were bothered. Good stainless steel should last forever.
Non stick on the other hand, 6 months to a year. Great for eggs etc though.

2 Likes

Jess is right - heavy stainless pots and pans will last years. They may get a little less shiny over the years as they get cleaned, but that does not impact their performance.

2 Likes

I’d get one non-stick pan and the rest stainless steel.

There are certain thingss which are easier with non-stick, like omlettes and fish.

Last week I found a Tramontina 10” non-stick pan on Amazon for $22. It had excellent reviews on the site and on Wirecutter.

So far it’s the best non-stick pan I’ve ever used. I would never spend more than that for a non-stick pan guests will use.

1 Like

Stick with non stick. It’s easier to clean. But if they are cooking with heat high enough to damage it, then they have a Problem. Spatter everywhere; possible fire hazard; damage to cookware. Should appear in the review.

2 Likes

I’m am doing my “after summer” condo check this weekend. I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

The way I consider condo cookware is different than my personal so I really need advice. At home, I use what I like—blend of tri-ply stainless steel, calphelon non-stick, enameled cast iron, & cast iron. It isn’t pretty but highly functional for my personal cooking needs/style.

1 Like

I have stainless because it is my own house and I won’t use non-stick. I really love enameled cast iron. I offer a couple pieces of that that, too, but skillets and pots can be too heavy to expect guests to whip around. I also offer a couple vintage, well-seasoned cast irons skillets.

A great option - enameled stainless steel like Dansk Kobenstyle - less heavy than enameled cast iron.

Don’t! They are now rare and valuable! I know because I have a huge Revere collection from my grandma and my mom, as well as what I’ve collected since I had my first apartment.

If Revere Ware is overheated, the bottoms will warp and will never again heat well on an electric burner.

For the shared kitchen in my Air space, I furnish 2 garage sale Calphalon (ceramic non-stick) frying pans and stainless cooking pots. All of the spatulas and cooking spoons are either silicone or bamboo, so they won’t scratch. They’ve survived a year without any damage, but many of my guests will just go out for breakfast if they don’t want my cereal/milk/yogurt/bread breakfast. A few have used them to cook fresh salmon without any problems.

But don’t waste good Revere Ware on Air guests who could ruin it. Save it for yourself!

1 Like