Friend scammed the system- free hurricane lodging

I had a friend post a pic on her social media account. She was enjoying a vacation at a free Airbnb due to the hurricane. She frequents the area she evacuated to and has lots of family she could have stayed with. She is this area at least one weekend a month. In fact one person asked “ Why aren’t you staying with me? “ She responded it was because she had a free place on the beach courtesy of Airbnb. I guess it just burns me as that is not what the free disaster housing is about. So Airbnb has no vetting process to ensure you aren’t being taken advantage so someone can enjoy a free vacation. Also, she is pretty far inland and she has been out of the cone for awhile now. She’s enjoying her free housing while checking in at all the restaurants in the area.

You are correct. As you feel badly why not contact Airbnb and let them know @Colorado1?

1 Like

No, they don’t. They expect hosts to do the vetting just as in any other booking situation. Let’s be honest, how do you expect Airbnb to do vetting? And who is going to pay for that? It sucks that you have a dishonest friend, but hey at least you know that about her now and so do all her other friends on Airbnb.

I signed up for open homes here in El Paso to volunteer my room in the aftermath of the shooting here and it did seem like they were doing some vetting and I talked to the director of the program personally on the phone. But that was a bit different as a crime had been committed, people’s identities and privacy needed to be protected.

2 Likes

She is someone u have known a long time. I have hosted for free exchange students so I am not against free hosting, I just feel Airbnb needs some type of vetting system. I would be hesitant to host someone for free and block my calendar because someone is able to pay or stay somewhere for free, but chooses to take advantage.

Oops someone I gave known a long time lol

I am glad to hear that! I understand real need. That is different.

Not only is she being dishonest with the host and costing them income but also potentially she is depriving someone else who genuinely needs the accommodation.

@KKC is right the host should be vetting guests like your friend, but perhaps your friend tells a good story.

This is not about airbnb having a better vetting system but your friend doing something that is morally repugnant. What did she say when you called her out on it?

5 Likes

Now that you understand that Airbnb has neither the time, money or ability to vet participants in the program you can take that into account when deciding to participate or not. Oh, wait, are you even a host?

It seems like you are just frustrated and angry at your friend and want to blame Airbnb or find some way to out your friend.

By Airbnb’s rules, she probably fits the description. She may have lied to Airbnb, but we don’t know that. The fact that she had viable alternatives and is preventing people with a much greater need from receiving this benefit shows your friend’s moral/ethical character, though. Think about that since you don’t seem to agree with what she’s doing and she’s your friend.

3 Likes

What a depressing story. In addition to being morally repugnant, as Helsi so aptly describes, your friend must be a bit dim too. Boasting on social media about something nasty you’ve done - never ends well.

If you came here looking for advice, all I can say is “unfriend” her poste haste!

6 Likes