For Your Amusement - Guests Can Be Rather Clueless LOL

@Brian_R170 One of my regular tenants is an older couple who leave it perfectly - partially because they used to operate a cleaning business themselves! They even bring their own vacuum because they like it better than the one I provide in cottage.

But - as to other extreme - a chocolate covered spoon under a bed isn’t a good sign - that was after i found their Mac Book Air also under the same double bed! They did reimburse me for the $25 shipping.

3 Likes

Hosts who leave consumables for guests and then complain that they used what was left for them always puzzle me. A guest looking at oatmeal packets would assume they were left for their use?

4 Likes

Well I find this all makes me feel a whole lot better! We all do what we do because we choose to and to help make a living, but oh yes, there are some wierd things to deal with and sharing the troubles, and yes, having a moan, can help! Nice to feel we are not alone! Especially nice is some wonderful sauce left in a bowl, then another similar bowl put on top, this one with porridge, then 4 clean ones on top, and yes…back in the cupboard, lurking!! Hey Ho! On the plus side, meet some great people!

3 Likes

Yes, and no. They are there to be used not packed up and taken with them. I just had this happen for the second time, the basket containing oatmeal packets, coffee pods, hot chocolate and the like was just emptied out, the wrappers not in the trash they just took them. Yes I know its part of the deal and most of the time only the coffees get used but it is just so LOW END.

It is annoying, but not review worthy.

RR

7 Likes

I agree that we have to expect that some people will take all the consumables (and all the little bottles of shampoo and bars of soap). And that we need to budget for that in our prices. But we certainly can also bitch about it! And this forum is the best and safest place to do it.

5 Likes

That’s why when emptying out my rental I dump all the stuff I’m taking into plastic baggies and and bottles so I can dump all the trash with the host and they think I consumed it there. :wink:

3 Likes

Could be they were that hung over that a lot of coffee was needed? LOL…J/K I will never understand how people can use so much coffee in such a short time. I had a similar situation so I understand your pain. The a/c is something I have gotten used to with people wanting it warmer or cooler than I am used to, some places do not allow for the windows to be opened which is why they want more air circulation…but they can ask. Sometimes you just have to laugh and keep going.

1 Like

It’s not a big expense, it’s just odd that they went through/took 24 packets of oatmeal and a pound and a half of coffee in three days. Some guests don’t touch either, so I guess it evens out. I know that if it’s left there, it’s possible the guests will assume it’s theirs to take.

Exactly! It was two unopened boxes of oatmeal – 12 packets each. They left the empty boxes.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell of patchouli oil in a bedroom?? I’ve checked the past threads, tried all the advice, I’ve cleaned everything - laundered bed protector, linens, pillows, duvet, put baking soda on the area rug (twice), lemon oil on the furniture (in case they got oil on that, too), wiped down all lamps, vacuumed the lamp shades, and it just stinks.

I don’t use diffuser oils or anything like Glade because many scents give me migraines. Yes, I asked her to stop using it, but she didn’t listen and the daily open window airings when they were out (with windows kept open for them to close upon their return) didn’t make a dent. I think the damage was done day 1.

Help?? I have guests coming tomorrow and I’ve had the windows open for 3 days…

No idea if they work, but a quick search came up with this:

https://grandfolk.com/guide/how-to-get-rid-of-patchouli-smell/

Thanks, I’ve tried everything except the club soda and the vanilla. :frowning: I’m at the point where I’m ready to ask them if they spilled it somewhere secret that my in-depth cleaning hasn’t found.

1 Like

People ask what you do for a living. When I say I mange 4 Airbnb’s I usually get a response like- oh wow, easy money. All you have to do is change the sheets and give the bathroom a swish! My hand itches to slap them! Most people have literally no idea how much work it is to keep the places looking good, stay on top of bookings, making sure your phone is always with you and giving your guest the best experience. This is my job and I enjoy it, but it can be hard work.

9 Likes

Isn’t that the truth…I had a guest last night that I am not even sure they stayed as the home was still spotless and I couldn’t tell if they used the bed. Of course I changed it anyway but the only indication that they stayed was the used hand towel and wash clothe in the bathroom. Of course these are few and far between but it is nice once in awhile just to walk in and change bed and “swish” the bathroom. LOL

3 Likes

Thank you, @Brian_R170 and everyone else on this forum for your advice. I finally put out a bowl of white vinegar and a plate with a rag soaked in vanilla extract. Along with putting down baking soda on the rug (twice - 48hrs total), that seemed to have helped. New guests don’t wear stinky perfumes and they like the windows open. Thankfully, the weather here in Florida has cooperated and has been gorgeous.

1 Like

I run 4 airbnb’s that I do all the housekeeping, yard work and maintenance at including framing, plumbing, drywall, electrical, painting, paving and landscaping and I work a full time job. Everyone has their limits.

2 Likes

The most problematic guests have been families. They usually start with a discount request that stems from a hetero normative assumption that a family as defined by a mother, father, and two children is somehow “best.” Usually from a Gen X mom. Usually bragging about their “handy husband” who never ends up being that handy. That is the impression I get.

I wouldn’t go into any deeper assumptions about any particular family. When I measure guest effort it can only be measured as compared to our other guests. If my cleaner finds piss in the vases, a broken fridge, excess trash (requiring additional haul away), I can’t assume it is from being run ragged by children after a long day of “doing their best.” I can only assume that my other guests do not piss in the vases and that these are worst guests.

5 Likes

hahaha! 5 beds and we just made a “cuppa soup” in the microwave!

1 Like

Yeah, easy money, “passive income”, you just line your pockets with the airbnb payments right?

3 Likes

PLEASE help what to do for deodorising? Same thing! Family inside not opening windows for 10 days! how to deodorize? Febreze? Even thinking of putting a new coat of paint on some walls to get the fresh paint smell inside?