For Your Amusement - Guests Can Be Rather Clueless LOL

I just like to work and stay busy. I didn’t actually make any money on Airbnb the first year. Every dime I made, I reinvested back into improving the property.

2 Likes
  1. Air it out. Open all the doors and windows, turn on a fan and the ventilation system for a few hours.
  2. Close all the windows and setup some “scent bombs”. They sell them at Walmart for cars but I don’t know if they have them for houses. Its like chlorine gas I think so it eliminates biological odors.
  3. If that still doesn’t work to get out chemical smells like perfumes, paint, glue etc try an ozone generator for 24 hours. Rental stores will rent them.
  4. Finally if particular rooms are just bad, I like to use a product called “Ozium”. Make sure the vents in the room are closed or the HVAC is off. Start in the back of the room and spray liberally making your way to the door. Exit and close the door almost completely but leave your hand in the room spraying the ozium for a few seconds. Then close the door. Wait at least an hour before re-opening.
  5. If you have some sort of spill in the carpet or upholstery, you’ll need to rent a rug doctor. You can put vinegar in with the solution to kill some odors.

Mix and match the 5 to see what works

3 Likes

I have an ozone machine and use it after every guest…it just takes out the lingering cleaning smells, perfumes, cologne and body odors. I then clean leaving the just the nice “clean” smell from my cleaning product. I am curious though was there not a ac/heat running during that 10 day time period or not a fan. Seems like the home would have gotten very stagnant if no air flow.

The perfume is horrendous. Is that really what it takes to get rid of it? I’ve had a string of what I can only politely describe as interesting females who are perfume enthusiasts. It still doesn’t beat my auto mechanic though. He hot boxed my car before dropping it off and sealed in king tut’s flatulence.

2 Likes

I have had really good results with it unless it is embedded in the pillows then those have to washed. My bed pillows are incased so it just means taking off the pillow protector and washing that also.

I tell guests please don’t strip the beds, the house cleaner (me, lol) finds it easier to do it herself (so I can find & pre-treat stains & damage, without having to remake the bed).

2 Likes

This is why I no longer have any couches or recliners. My place is for 4 people max, 2 bedrooms & each has a queen size bed.

I recently had this problem - 2 guests in a row with serious perfume addictions, the last one must have slathered on the patchouli. It was a fog of smell. I aired for days…

• stripped all the bedding, cleaned it with borax, even put the pillows in the wash
  • baking soda on the area rug, left for 12 hours, vacuumed with lavender seeds
  • did baking soda trick again
  • cleaned all furniture with a French lemon wood oil. it doesn’t leave a smell, but gets rid of odors and other oils
  • put out bowls of white vinegar around the room
  • vanilla extract on a rag on a plate

I left the vinegar and vanilla in the closed room for 2 days and the patchouli smell finally surrendered.

I thought I was going to have to paint, too. I was getting ready to wipe down walls… I did wipe all doors and knobs, too.

1 Like

I think most of us have kids/or relatives with kids and understand kids messes. But putting away dirty dishes is generally frustrating because I rewash everything in that cupboard. I would rather they just leave them in the sink for me to handle. Dirty floors, messy bathrooms etc no issue but when they do damage or things disappear then I have an issue.

I literally just decline and tell them to find a place that fits within their budget.

Yes, you’re right. I was probably feeling a bit nostalgic about when my son and his nieces and nephews were small when I wrote that.

I’ve now remembered that time when I had to go round an entire apartment on my knees to wipe off all the jam/peanut butter/crap smeared everywhere.

Yikes! Yes, most parents think they’re the best ever and that their children are just adorable. It’s always been that way. But pissing in vases?? There’s no excuse for that, ever.
I co-host during summertime for an entire property which gets a lot of families. So far they haven’t been any worse than groups of adults. In fact, I’ve been amazed at how clean some of them have left the place.

Still there!!! It’s going to be a few more years. So far Almost complete redo. To be done replace tub/shower with shower & glass in /sunroom conversion screen porch.

The condo interior was outdated but the grounds & exterior well maintained so I got a good purchase price. I had the intention of buying it and using rentals to pay bills and pay for updates. I’m not a flipper. So far it has worked out.

Wait, what?? You pretreat the stains and remake the bed without stripping the dirty linens and replacing them with fresh ones?

I’m sorry I thought it was clear when I said… " I tell guests please don’t strip the beds, the house cleaner (me, lol) finds it easier to do it herself (so I can find & pre-treat stains & damage, without having to remake the bed)." I thought Pre-treat made it clear that I was washing the sheets after finding all the stains. When guests strip the bed it makes it very difficult to find the stains .

1 Like

It took me a minute too, to understand. “remake” as in put the sheets back on so you can find the stains in the first place. :slight_smile: and pull and pretreat as you go.

2 Likes

@amywyo

Knack for saying things oddly too I have. Occasionally clarify my meaning I must.

8 Likes

Wish I could like this more than once! Suddenly I have all kinds of Yoda-Superhost quotes swimming around my head.

4 Likes

Sorry for my confusion, it was the remake part. I get it now. Little slow sometimes. Lol

1 Like

Thank you for understanding, sometimes I just think people will understand where I’m going & I don’t want to be wordy… there is also the small matter of my TBI, I should double read things before posting… I enjoyed your reply. :wink:

1 Like