First time having a guest booted!

So mad I’m shaking! Posted in the “guest smoking” thread:

Posted 3 hrs ago:

Just caught my guests smoking when rules say no smoking on property. So pissed. They asked where they could smoke. Could they go down the road and smoke? I said no and told them that they need to understand we are currently in a red flag warning for fire danger and if one starts it’s homes, crops and livestock that are lost. They again pressed me for where they could smoke. I said they could make the 10 mile drive to town and find a place.

Given that they asked so many times where they could smoke I get the sense they are people who cannot do without their nicotine and will just smoke anyway and since I caught them because I live 60ft away I’m sure they will go inside and do it now (they were outside on the lawn smoking sitting above a hill that is dry as death natural cover grasses. Nice.

Pissed. Why do people have to be this way? Why can’t they follow simple rules and/or find a place that meets all their needs? These are the people who pulled the ESA stunt on me.

I messaged the guy who made the reservation through Air so it was on the record. He was in town picking up dinner.

Follow-up post 28 mins ago:

That’s it! They are gone. My neighbor just texted me that the guests were smoking by the mailbox where it is all tall dry grass. She is fearful of fire and asked me to stop them. I told them they couldn’t smoke there due to our high fire danger which they scoffed at. I am calling air.

So mad i’m shaking.

1 Like

So Airbnb was helpful?

Very and very sympathetic regarding the fire danger of them smoking by dry grass and that we are situated rurally with only a volunteer fire department and the fact that they weren’t supposed to be smoking at all.

They were smoking at the bottom of this hill - that house at the top is the neighbor who complained (they were standing in front of her mailbox). A fire would have raced right up there. They wouldn’t have stood a chance. This picture was earlier in the year - there is not a speck of green on it now.

They are gone - took off like thieves in the night without speaking to Air. They did take a house key which I’m sure was innocent but I’m still going to have to change the locks.

here’s another perspective of just how dry it is here. This is looking from the neighbor’s property (the one who complained) to my property. Nothing but dry natural cover that will burn just thinking about it.

2 Likes

Where are you located?

Hi @Bunny,

That’s scary. We worry about fire a lot here too. Are you having a drought, or are these normal conditions for your area, wherever that is?

I am sorry that you went through this. Smokers are addicts. My partner was operated on for LC less than a year ago and he is still smoking. Best thing you can do is to post repeatedly and in the rules.

Is m.not sure I understood . Smoking on property is very different from smoking down the road. I’d I didn’t know the area and fire problems I couldn’t never imagine that I can’t even smoke 2 minutes walk from the property.

3 Likes

#1 House Rule:
Due to fire hazard, no smoking allowed ANYWHERE in the neighborhood - must travel 10 miles to town to smoke. Violators will be asked to leave.

Then, reinforce again at time of booking.

This was a bad situation for you AND the guests. I’m sure they thought smoking off- property would be ok.

3 Likes

I am in eastern Washington. We are a desert climate and dry conditions are the norm for us during the summer months. We grow wheat and hay here if that helps you imagine what the environment is like. Here is a picture of the road they were standing on smoking. As you can see there is no safe place to have burning material (also note the smokey sky from fires burning across the state and British Columbia Canada hence our poor air quality alert). We are currently listed as “extreme fire danger” with all outdoor burning banned.

My place is listed as no-smoking. They read that in the listing, they agree to that when the book and I state it again before I accept. I caught them smoking and told them not to. They asked if they could smoke on the road I told them no because of the high fire danger and the danger to my neighbors homes, crops and livestock (this isn’t just me that is affected). After that, within an hour, they had to have another cigarette and walked down my drive and stood in front of my neighbor’s tinder dry property and smoked. My neighbor saw them, told them to stop and texted me. She was quite upset. She has many head of livestock that would be at risk if a fire started. They were smoking at her only exit point so getting out would not have been an option for her if a fire had started there.

I should note that they had been drinking which is not a problem but alcohol does impair ones judgement and diminishes the attention span. They most certainly would not be as careful with their cigarettes after several glasses of wine then they would be stone cold sober.

From the National Parks Service:

As many as 90 percent of wildland fires in the United States are caused by humans. Human-caused fires result from campfires left unattended, the burning of debris, negligently discarded cigarettes, and intentional acts of arson. Cigarettes are one way humans can cause fires.

We’ve already had non-owner occupied rentals banned in our city because of neighbor’s complaints and the county where I am is about to take the issue up. This kind of behavior by guests, causing neighbor’s concern, does not help.

1 Like

Again, just be super clear with guests. Most guests think “No Smoking” properties mean you can go to the curb or road and smoke.

1 Like

This is true. In my smoking days we stayed at a non-smoking place in Key West. I thought that (as usual in those days) I’d be able to go onto the balcony or at least into the grounds for a cigarette. But no, I had to go into KMart’s parking lot next door…

1 Like

I state clearly there is no smoking anywhere and we had multiple discussions about fire danger prior to their arrival.

I just went over to my neighbor’s place to where they were smoking and found a butt in the ground where there is dry fuel! It was fresh, not weathered so I’m 99% sure it was theirs. See that green stuff growing? Those are tumbleweeds. They burn like Christmas trees. WTH?

Why can’t you imagine it when loads of places are on red alert for fires? Haven’t you heard about Greece, Portugal, California etc. on the news. It’s not just about the host not liking it, it’s a danger to everyone in the neighborhood. Vaping might be a good idea for nicotine addicts in this situation.

1 Like

Same problem here in Southern California. My listing will be no smoking or vaping. I will have to make clear that includes the surrounding neighborhood as well. I was thinking about allowing them to smoke inside their own vehicle with all the windows rolled up only.

I’ve thought about the car thing but I think that just opens the door to abuse. Seems the best way to go is an all out prohibition.

Honestly, people need to learn to find a listing that meets their needs. You don’t buy a pair of size 8 pants when you wear a 12 so why would you book a place that says you can’t do something you want to do?

2 Likes

As of August 15 , there are 450 fires burning in British Columbia, Canada of which 195 are out of control. The province has declared a state of emergency. Thirty evacuation orders are in effect across the province, affecting more than 3000 people.

Here in Washington, British Columbia’s neighbor to the south, we’ve had close to 500 this year. Currently there are 10 large fires burning. Oregon and Idaho, our neighbors to the east, have 13 fires each and California is battling 8. In the US there are close to 2 million acres of active fires burning in 13 states.

Scientists believe this is the new normal.

https://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/nfn.htm

" Anywhere" where? .

1 Like

Its irelevant how many place are in danger of fire. What relevant is that it feels i I was smoking which I never did in my life I would for sure assume that I can smoke at least few steps from property. It is not common knowledge and should be specified .

1 Like

The OP categorically specifies no smoking on property or surrounding countryside. It is common knowledge that so many of these places are on red alert for fires and ban smoking. The guest should only have had to be told once, if that. Lives are at risk.

1 Like

I will be following up with all the guests that have pending bookings at my place so that there is no doubt and giving them a chance to find other accommodations prior to their arrival should they have been confused as to what “no smoking on property” means.

I have also updated my listing to make it crystal clear that there is no smoking on the property or my neighbor’s property and that there is no curb to stand on or sidewalk along the 50mph county road. And since the county has issued a county-wide burn ban I would assume that they should not be smoking in the middle of the road either.

I want my guests and me to have a pleasant experience and apparently that means spelling things out when it comes to smoking. I have lived and learned.

3 Likes