First bad guests; would like help/advice with the review

@RiverRock Do you use microfiber sheets yourself? Because I wouldn’t want to make my guests sleep on something I myself wouldn’t sleep on. If you like them then that’s different. I just find them hot. Our unit gets pretty warm in the summer months so I like to have breathable sheets. I love cotton percale which is crisp; the complete opposite of microfiber. I don’t like the way it looks or feels, but that’s just me. You’re getting excellent reviews so if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!! I also don’t want to have to replace my sheets frequently, even if they are inexpensive.

2 Likes

I did get a microfiber duvet cover for my twin sized duvet (for the sofabed) because I liked the pattern. That thing constantly has greasy spots on it…after every guest it seems. The cotton duvet cover rarely gets those. The microfiber one has now become my emergency back-up duvet cover.

2 Likes

If the microfibre sheets were disclosed I wouldnt book or would request other arrangements. I wouldn’t be able to sleep properly so thats very important indeed, and it would be poor value and overall. Look, there’s no excuse, you can afford basic cotton for any listing. The only thing that would be Just as bad would be undisclosed night noise.

1 Like

Are you being sarcastic, or are you serious?

1 Like

I couldnt sleep in 100% polyester or microfibre sheets. Nothing sarcastic about that. You are never poor enough to need microfibre.

1 Like

I would try to request it from Airbnb against my security deposit, as I only get $25 to 50 per night depending on the season of my rental.

2 Likes

Just as a follow up, the guest said (via the request for payment option) that they didn’t mind paying but that they wouldn’t have funds until next week, and then they clicked on the “Decline” button. Then I clicked on the “Involve Airbnb” button and the next day Airbnb paid the $85 per the Host Guarantee.

1 Like

No, I have expensive LLBean sheets on my bed and am very disappointed with them considering what I paid. They are an off white and are splotchy after a few washes. Sending them back. I have slept in the rental and the sheets are a non issue.

RR

OMG what a drama queen. NOBODY has ever said a word, all my reviews are 5 star I have only been marked down in value 4* once by somebody who did not like that I collect tax (because air will not) They are not hot to sleep on, I have spent the night in the rental and they are fine.

RR

Most people agree microfibre/polyester sheets are hot including experts, not every single person clearly. People dont say things. On the B&B programme Four in a Bed hosts are always surprised when there’s a criticism, “Noones ever mentioned that before”. Of course they havent! Maybe they’re scared of being called a drama queen. No shame whatsover in preferring cotton, youd have a job finding an hotel with microfibre sheets.

1 Like

You can debate an issue with your fellow hosts without being rude @RiverRock.

No need to get into name calling.

I bought LLBean 100% cotton percale sheets. Some guests complained to our housekeeper that they didn’t like them, so I bought some microfiber. Now we have both types and the guest can choose if they have a strong preference.

I posted this on another thread but will post here as well. Costco is going to have their Kirkland Signature Sheets reduced from 16-26 November; a Queen set will be $40. They are 540 TC 100% cotton and include 4 pillowcases.

5 Likes

Wish we had a Costco here.

1 Like

Wish we had Ikea here in Costa Rica …

Here almost all sheets are MF … and well, double the US price.

Oh puhlease, I was called a pansy the first week on this forum by a moderator. @Jess1 has thick enough skin to know its not personal lighten up.

RR

Edited: I was called a little princess not a Pansy, mod still here.

There have been some changes to the moderator group since that time and some other attempted changes in the tone of the forum. It’s an imperfect process to be sure and I’m one of the less perfect mods when it comes to biting my tongue here but we’d like to keep moving in that direction.

2 Likes

I love it here, and much of that is because it is not over moderated. It has toned down since I have been around. I do not take things personally and I do not intend to make it personal when chiming in.

Namaste

RR

1 Like

Its not worth debating what is comfortable or not. We all react to fabrics, mattresses, room temperatures differently. They are the variables that are most difficult for hosts to manage.

Sheets made from microfiber fabrics offer a soft sleeping experience. But the density of the fabric may create a hot, stuffy feeling for some people, which can wake them up in the middle of the night. While microfiber fabrics do wick moisture vapor from the body, synthetic microfiber fabrics also trap body heat, which makes sleeping on them a winter choice or a matter of personal preference.” … from the attached article.

I’ll go out on a limb and say that a decent quality cotton sheet is probably the safest bet, as its probably the type guests are most familiar with. But I am not an expert, as the only experience I’ve had with MF is the version that Costco occassionally sells (Jennifer Adams). They look very attractive but as soon as I see a 100% polyester tag, I put the package down.

Providing additional detail to the Costco sale that @KKC mentioned (see attached pics)

• 540 TC Kirkland Sateen Cotton sheets are on sale 11/16 to 11/26 ($58.99 - $19)
  • 800 TC Hotel Signature Sateen Cotton sheets are on sale now 10/31 to 11/26

3 Likes

I could take a guess at which moderator was name calling, and cant figure whats going on there. I dont think name calling is conducive to debate, even if the person on the receiving end thinks it says more about the perpetrator than themselves .
I wouldn’t call a host providing microfibre sheets for top dollar a cheapskate or rip off.

2 Likes