First Aid Kits - in the room or..?

Hi guys
I’m just putting my primary Airbnb room/apartment back together after a total rebuild. Came across my first aid kit this morning and wondered whether you all leave yours in your accommodation or…?
I live onsite so have just held mine in my house which is upstairs but that’s not much use if a guest opens an artery while preparing their dinner. On the other hand, I know it will get pilfered if it’s easily accessed (discovered this with facecloths and earplugs).
What do you guys do?
TIA…

1 Like

I’ve got the one Airbnb sent me located in the guest’s room. It’s had a few band aids and such missing but nothing more.

1 Like

How do I get Airbnb to send me one?

1 Like

I go an aid kit in my house, I live on site.
I will not put them in the apartments, because they will get stolen. (or borrowed and never returned).

Guests will take anything useful with them, scissors, toilet paper, can openers, everything that can be used on the road or during a hike will be taken and never returned…

1 Like

I rent my whole house, but I have first aid kits in both bathrooms, plus one in the vintage travel trailer. FUN TIP! I buy vintage metal first aid kits at yard sales and estate sales and put all of the new stuff in there, with a mix of some vintage. It becomes part of the decor.

2 Likes

I keep mine in the kitchen.

2 Likes

I keep my ‘First Aid Kit’ in the bottom drawer in the bathroom (I am not a live-in host). It is just a small cigar-size box with a red cross painted on it.

It has the usual (band-aids, antibiotic cream, etc.), as well as other incidentals: sewing kit, shears, comb, shower cap, aspirin, Tums, cough drops, cotton balls, Q-tips, nail clippers, tweezers, razor, disposable toothbrush, mini toothpaste, floss…(can’t recall what else).

I also have a printed list of the contents taped on the lid, next to the red cross. A few things go missing, but they are easily replaced from the Dollar Tree.

It’s part of the ‘stocked condo’ experience.

2 Likes

I keep mine in a cabinet in the kitchen. It’s big and bulky, so they’d be bold to take the whole thing. I do like the idea of having one attached in a cabinet so it can’t be taken.

1 Like

We have a little bar area for guests. I put all the emergency supplies on the top shelf (it’s not that high, I’m 5’3" and can reach it easily). So far no one has taken advantage. There are also extensive tea and coffee supplies which people have used very responsibly. It is just a room in the house and I think people behave a little better when they know the host is checking supplies frequently.

1 Like

I keep a First Aid in the guest room. The only thing that’s been taken is a bandage when the guest hurt his hand.

1 Like

I had the one Air sent me in the room for awhile but took it out because I live here and am home much of the time. If they need something they can ask me. My concern is not so much them taking it as it is keeping an eye on the inventory of it’s contents.

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone, great advice as usual. I’ll refill my first aid kit, add an inventory list and pop it into the bathroom vanity drawer. @CatskillsGrrl I too love vintage first aid kits/cupboards, I have one in my own kitchen to house my wine glasses :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Now that’s a cool idea! I should just put a big red cross on my beer fridge.

5 Likes

It’s medicinal, right?

1 Like

Totally! “Take one large, cold glass of Sauvignon Blanc on each get check-out…” :wink:

1 Like

As an RN with many years of emergency/ trauma unit experience, I’d not waste money on a first aid kit. When they do open an artery, big cut etc, 99.9% of folks arrive with a towel wrapped around wound. Far more effective than the cheap and nasty gauze in first aid kits. I have a box of band aids and a note with what to tell 911 when they they call, street address, nearest cross street. Emergency services have a difficult time finding site when people call on cell phones, In an emergency guests will forget your address, so put it on the fridge. Simple first aid, ie p something in eye, all they need is a bottle of water to flush out eye. Possible broken arm, ice pack and hold it with other arm or tie towel around body. Big bites, apply ice pack and then calamine or hydrocortisone which they should supply.

3 Likes

Hi @Louise,

Do you recommend a DIY first aid kit? If so, what would you put in it? Actually, if the idea doesn’t bore everyone rigid, perhaps people could provide a list of the items they think are important for a first aid kit?

2 Likes

Info on how to contact emergency services with your street address, phone numb r and address of local urgent care clinic, nearest hospital with emergency department. Packet of band aids. I have a super kit, buts it’s never used, only thing I seem to use are band aids, which I now keep in the kitchen to save me bleeding on the floor when walking to bathroom bleeding. Ice pack in freezer.

4 Likes

The only reason I even have a first aid kit in mine is because I was required to have a fancy one as a foster parent, so I put it up there. If it ever gets taken I do plan to just stick a box of bandaids up there with the ibuprofen and benedryl packets I keep in the bathroom.

1 Like

I just had an inspection by the Tourism Office today and she recommended me to have one in each room, for the reasons you have stated. We are required by law to have them, but I had kept just one in my part of the house. I think the ice pack in the freezer is a good idea (we use a pack of frozen peas!)

if I were a guest thinking of pilfering something, I don’t think a First Aid kit would be my first choice …

1 Like