First 2 requests for a 4 guest listing, 'can we bring 5 guests?'

It crept up past $28 a while back, but my point is there aren’t many places that offer the amenities I’ll bet the OP offers for that price…which is in British pounds. Even still, it’s a bargain.

1 Like

@Barns, you need to show the stairs in the photos! Seriously.

2 Likes

@Barns

Yes, to what @Magwitch says. When stairs are involved, they should always be shown. A picture is worth…etc., etc.

It’s a very nice room ~ though I also can see what @KKC means about the connection to a ship. The angle of the first photo (or is it the second?) is tilted. Maybe it should be retaken so it doesn’t affect those who are prone to seasickness. … :rofl: <tilted

4 Likes

Hi @Barns

I can see what you mean now I have seen the other photo from ground level. That’s a relief.

And if access to the roof as a roof terrace came with the property when it was built, the builders would have got planning permission as part of the build.

Good luck I am sure you will get lots of interest.

I would look at maybe increasing the price when you let it out as a whole listing. Such an amazing location.

1 Like

You’re not being greedy. I used to limit to 4 (2BR, 1 bath) and charge $25 per person after 2. I needed a way to appeal to the solo travellers, 1 couple, 2 couples or families without losing out on revenue. I wish air would allow charging per bedroom in entire house as I don’t want to rent out each bedroom (I want guests to know each other).

Then after a family of 6 asked to stay I thought, who am I to decide what’s comfortable? I got 2 twin air mattresses and updated my listing, expecting only families with kids would want to stay. I got 6 men who requested to book. They were in construction and needed a place to sleep. They were excellent guests.

I am careful to only allow 6 if I feel comfortable they will be happy (and it’s not just a cheap way to party). I also state my concerns about their comfort and ask them to resolve that they agree they know what they are getting into. That way I have it on record and it sets their expectations.

2 Likes

You were definitely not greedy.

About people wanting to squeeze in an extra person. Maybe there are just not many (or no) properties around that allow 5 persons. Could be a niche in the market.
Wether you want this niche yes or no, is of course a whole other story :wink: .

1 Like

Hi @GutHend

There’s absolutely loads of places in Brighton that will sleep five people (It’s a major tourist centre).

It sounds like these people were just trying to get an already fantastic value place for even less :frowning:

Truth be told, I didn’t look into the Brighton situation.

I was speaking from personal experience:
Just the other week I was looking, quite last minute, for a 6 person place in Heidelberg and Karlsruhe in Germany. There was simply nothing available :unamused:. We decided to split up the group, and my mum and me just decided to stay in hotels which were much more luxurious, with an incredible breakfast :yum::yum::yum: included and barely more expensive than the remaining sub-par BnB’s.

2 Likes

I see what you both mean…I’ve rearranged the photos, bit more of a pause between ‘waves’

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. Stairs and rickety loft-ladder-to-terrace added

2 Likes

Gut, this is how I feel these days. I always book hotels for these reasons you name. Plus… Sometimes they are a LOT cheaper than Airbnb by the time all the fees are paid!

1 Like

I was just going to post a thread on this topic as I too have been struggling with this question.

First off let me say the Airbnb platform “extra guest question” is horrible - it’s a “have you stopped beating your wife” type of thing. You have two choices: “Yes you can bring an extra guest for x-amount of dollars” or “No there is no extra fee for extra guest” which make is seem like the more the merrier. There needs to be an option that states emphatically that you do not accept extra guests so as to avoid questions and disappointments.

That said, here is what I’ve been struggling with: I have a 3 bedroom/2 bath whole home rental. I rent for six people. I often get requests for “and possibly a 7th person who we aren’t sure will show up yet, is that okay?”. To date I have always declined but I feel stingy in doing so as a 7th person could sleep on a couch or the floor but for crying-out-loud I’m not running a flophouse and the price per night is already low as is the cleaning fee.

After the last request I thought perhaps I should add a futon (already have a frame that was left behind by the previous owner in a small windowless room upstairs) and say “sure for another full nights rent you can add a 7th person” but that almost sounds bitchy and worse than just saying “sorry we only have accommodations for 6”.

I dunno, I’m torn. I want to be accommodating but I’m not desperate to rent. Most of the requests I get for +1 are people coming to town to attend a college graduation which is a happy family event and I hate to rain on their parade but you need to draw a line somewhere, right?

No. It doesn’t. Maximum means maximum. The app won’t let you select more people than that. Pick your top number of people, and then stick to it. Why wouldn’t you?

1 Like

Have they changed that option since I listed? Haven’t been back to check… looking now.

Remember too, that a switcheroo can take place where the one in a double bed can take the futon and put two his bed for a total of 8 guests.

Then, there’s also the fact that if you relent and allow a 7th, it shows there’s flexibility – so why not just bring some sleeping mats and add more!

Wheee!

1 Like

LOL!! Well there is that and it goes to my “I’m not running a flophouse” comment BUT… I live 40 feet away with full view of the house so I’m fairly confident I would catch them.

Had some college kids traveling for a wedding try to pull a fast one on me last year during the booking process (I do not use IB). Finally had to come out and say “Look, I live within 40 feet of the house. I’m going to know how many people are staying there”.

2 Likes