First 2 requests for a 4 guest listing, 'can we bring 5 guests?'

Launched my new listing, 2bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 4 guests. First 2 enquiries were identical, but different people for different dates. "can you squeeze 5 in?"
I said “yeah, fine, but I will add £20 a night”, taking price from £120 to £140 a night. Then didn’t hear from them again. Was I being too greedy?

1 Like

Not too greedy. The correct answer is:

“NO – as you can plainly read there is only room for four.”

4 Likes

Of course you weren’t, they were being cheapskates :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Do you charge extra for guests after one or is it the same rate for One to four? I charge extra after the first guest and will take up to three. Maybe you should allow five but charge extra after the fourth guest. Then they won’t have to ask.
No you are not greedy, extra guests use extra utilities, towels, sheets, and in our case extra breakfast which we provide.

4 Likes

Not being greedy at all; they are!

2 Likes

If you’d wanted to earn their business you’d have to price check against 5-person listings to ensure a reasonable value.

But when people ask for something outside of our standard offering, to me it’s less about “what’s competitive” and more “how much do I need to be paid to feel comfortable breaking my own house rules”. If you’d said £50/night, I still wouldn’t consider that greedy so much as “I reeeally don’t feel comfortable with this”.

I charge $30 (all in, not per night) for people who want to bring a 5th to my “4-person max” place. If that’s too much, they can find a place that WANTS to host 5.

1 Like

not greedy at all. very reasonable. seems they wanted 5th for free or they found another place in the meantime.

5 Likes

Cabin is right. If you squeeze more in and its overcrowded then you may hear about it in the review.

Barns…do tell! You’ve been posting a while and amusing us but are we to learn that this is your first listing?! :laughing::laughing:

1 Like

@Barns

“Can you squeeze 5 in?”

Sure, if you can squeeze another 20 out from your wallet.

7 Likes

Second listing! I had a year off for bad behaviour (the 4 Fulham fans whose team was thrashed by my home team, they got drunk and ran amok in the building).

Started to buy a new place in August, with a view to a bit of Airb, and have been treading water on here till the sale completed.

I’m charging a bit much, but have 2 bookings, so I’m confidant I’ve kind of got it right. I’m central Brighton, with parking, and a roof terrace. Will ignore the 2 requests who wanted to squeeze a child in! x

1 Like

Nice to see you back. Love Brighton (outside of the summer months).

2 Likes

you really hammered me when I mentioned my problems at the first listing! x

Central Brighton WITH parking?! That’s not an Airbnb, Barns, it’s a gold mine!

2 Likes

Yes! What an attraction!

I take it that is like central London with parking? Unheard of except for the queen herself? :laughing::laughing:

1 Like

who you calling a queen?!! :rofl:

4 Likes

LOL! In typical American fashion, I’m a bit obsessed with your royal family. Netflix is running The Crown, an absolutely lavish and elegant love letter to QE2. I also loved Diana, in her Own Words, also on Netflix. I tried and failed to look like Diana for years. Cute sweaters, hats, white stockings and of course hairstyle. :laughing::laughing::princess::princess::princess:

yeah, we’ve all been through that phase :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I didn’t know she had facial hair.

1 Like

Oh Yeah! Perhaps I’m thinking of Camilla Parker Bowles!
That big olds chin could do with some beard

2 Likes