Fire pit- yay or nay?

We’re contemplating if we should build small outdoor fire pits at our two AirBnBs. I’m concerned about safety and someone going to bed with the fire still ablaze (I’ve heard some stories and TBH we get a lot of city folk who might not necessarily know how to tend a fire safely lol)… but I know as a guest I’d definitely appreciate a nice little backyard fire during the summer evenings. Thoughts? Tips?

1 Like

You answered your own question. “How to tend a fire safely.” No.

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure if I was being paranoid haha!

This old thread should fix you right up. That said, there are hosts who have fire pits without issue. If I felt a place would really benefit from a fire feature I might get a fire table but they can really eat up the propane.

1 Like

Your insurance company may have an issue with it.

That’s AWFUL!! And illustrates exactly my concern…

1 Like

I have a small firepit and guests love it. It has a firepit bowl so guests can’t start a big fire. They can only fit one or two small logs. If they remove the bowl, then they find themselves with a bunch of big rocks. I used them to fill the bottom of the pit just in case a guest tried using it without the firepit bowl. It’s also at a distance from the house.97d708a0-22de-433d-a943-67b42bcb29f8

3 Likes

Clearly much safer in a non wooded area. I love firepits and would love to be at a rental that had one. But I’m also not the idiot that would leave it unattended or not completely out before I went to bed.

5 Likes

No, No, and No. It is one more thing that can go wrong. One more amenity that might be “unavailable” = 50% off the stay.

1 Like

Another no here. Your STR insurance will zoom up and a firepit might even be a problem with your local authorities so they could revoke your license. (In some places they are fine in private homes but not STRs for safety reasons.)

1 Like

We have a fire table in one of our rentals and I wish we didn’t. One more propane tank to check on, one more thing guests need “help” getting to work (I just follow the directions written on the table itself, and voila!), one more thing to clean, especially after they roast marshmallows over the glass rocks…

We used to live in that house and left it when we moved away. Wouldn’t add one any where.

2 Likes

Check all applicable regulations. Permits are required in some places and come with rules about fire protection, proximity to structures and monitoring. I have a home share so I would sit with guests around a fire pit but not leave them alone. My niece fell in low fire pit at a campground and spent time in pediatric burn unit. I also had a child’s polar fleece vest catch on fire from a small pilot light on a outdoor gas heater - thankfully no serious injury. Needless to say, I’m a little extra cautious.

1 Like

Plenty of people don’t know how to tend a fire safely. Big NO on fire pits. Had one, got rid of it when guests went to bed and left it blazing. Sleeping much better now.

2 Likes

Big NO from here! I’ve seen the aftermath of some pretty stupid acts involving fire and alcohol…
I don’t even trust some guests with a gas stove!. (Electric only now).

For you and your guests safety I recommend no. But you can buy a natural gas fire pit that is really neat. Our friends had such a unit while camping in Arizona last month and it had the appeal of a fire and looked like a fire pit but you could just shut it off with a switch. Regards,

We have one at a stand alone house with a LARGE backyard. Its been a major draw for guests. It’s surrounded in all directions with at least 50 feet of lawn. It’s about 75 feet from the house. A hose is close by for emergencies. I would only consider one if your setup is idiot proof. I also limit firewood to discourage large fires.

1 Like

Sooner or later some idiot will drive up with a pickup load of pallets. Or with a chainsaw.

2 Likes

Well hell, that yahoo doesn’t need a firepit either.

2 Likes

Or, like one host’s story I read, they gathered up all the ornamental pieces of driftwood she had artistically placed throughout her gardens and burnt them up.

1 Like

*neither :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

perfect

1 Like