Fire pit- yay or nay?

Another air bnb host and I share the same lawn person and he just told me a interesting story about the use of her fire pit. It seems her last reservation for 3 guests turned out to be about 10-12 during the weekend. Her guests decided to roast marshmellows in the fire pit. Sometime a little later most likely after a few drinks a marshmellow battle began. The next day when he mowed her backyard marshmellow bits and pieces flew everywhere. Afterwards it took him a long time to clean his mower blades. So the fire may not be the only thing to consider.

3 Likes

I agree, that thread from 2018 stopped me in my fire-pit-shopping tracks!! Have a guest coming this summer who really wanted a bonfire, and I was feeling guilty about no longer having an outdoor fire option (after lake rose over last few years and claimed former fire pit)…until now. That thread absolved me of all guilt immediately! Thank you.

2 Likes

We’ve had a firepit since we opened our AirBnB 3 years ago. It’s an absolute draw card and a highlight for our guests. They love it and mention it favourably in our reviews all the time. It’s given countless people a lovely holiday experience with friends and family.
Obviously it totally depends on where a host’s AirBnB is located, but if anyone reading this post is considering a firepit, these are the things that we took into consideration:

• It is built-in (so not moveable)
  • it’s on a large gravelled terrace (so there’s no chance of sparks or embers catching)
  • outdoor furniture around it is light, so easy to move if necessary
  • there’s an outdoor water tap & hose nearby
  • we source the firewood on our own (rural) property, but we let guests know that the amount we’ve supplied is to last for the duration of their stay (as it takes time and effort to supply).
2 Likes

This looks perfect. A fire, a dog, a beer. Tell me there’s someone just off camera playing guitar and I’ll be booking your place ASAP. :wink:

(BTW, I’m fully aware that there are millions of people worldwide for whom a guitar player at the fireside is their idea of hell.)

1 Like

I’ll take a guitar player over a drummer any day :hear_no_evil:

2 Likes