Extra Cleaning Fee in House Rules?

I’ve been hosting for about 2 months and most of my guests have been clean. A few have left the house very dirty. I currently charge a $25cleaningfee. Am I allowed to note In house rules that if house is left very dirty, an additional $25 cleaning fee will apply? I want to drive cleanliness and that this is my home, not a hotel.

You can put anything in your rules as long as it doesn’t violate Airbnb policy.

I’m curious, do you refund if someone leaves the room very clean? I’d just think it evens out over time.

Charging extra for anything or even collecting for damages can be a pain. How are you going to objectively measure “very dirty” as opposed to “a little dirty” “somewhat clean,” etc? Rules need to be clearly stated and enforceable. For example, I used to have a rule stating guest had to park in the curved part of the driveway, not in front of my house. It couldn’t have been clearer yet I didn’t get 100% compliance. What am I going to do? Charge people? Get up in the middle of the night when they check in and tell them to move their car? I removed the rule and put security cameras up and quit worrying about it. Strange thing is that I get fewer people parking in the wrong place now than when I was all uptight about it.

This will likely be hard to enforce if the guests object. Airbnb wants actual receipts and such for damages or extra cleaning. Best to have a cleaning fee you are comfortable with and just leave negative reviews for dirty guests.

1 Like

The cleanliness level is up to my discretion. I think it’s a good idea, the threat of an additional fee will be enough to have guests clean up after themselves.

Please let us know how it works out.

I have an extra cleaning fee in my house rules but I don’t know how enforceable it is since I’ve not attempted to collect.

“Cleaning in excess of 3 hours (it typically takes 2) is charged at $35/hour.”

I figured if things are so messy that it’s taken me or my cleaner over 50% longer than typical to deal with it we should be paid for our time. Guests (ostensibly) agreed to this when they booked so I sure as hell hope Airbnb backs me if I ever need to charge it.

2 Likes

What do you mean by leaving it clean? or what is your definition of dirty? If you charge a cleaning fee, then it means you have been paid to clean the property whether it takes you 20 minutes because someone was gracious enough to do the cleaning for you or 3 hours because they extra messy, it honestly balances out. Now that being said, if someone throws garbage around the house, or leaves the bathroom in a total “mess” just because then I would take pictures, send thru a request for the additional compensation for out of the normal range of cleaning and escalate thru the resolution center. Be sure and forward the picture to the guest so they can see exactly why you are asking for additional funds. I also take in consideration for how long they were there for…if they stay 2 weeks the home could potentially be dirtier than someone who stays 2 days. Also a regular cleaning of the home should be done a regular basis, cleaning the picture frames, looking for cobwebs, cleaning the baseboards, blinds, ceiling fans etc. these are items that should not be the guests responsibility to take care of. In my humble opinion, a guest should take out the garbage, put dirty laundry in it’s central place, do the dishes and general wipe down of the kitchen/bathrooms surfaces but I do not expect them to scrub the floors or tub/shower, wipe down the cupboards, wash the windows or glass surfaces etc. Things that I do to make it up to my standards.

2 Likes

I agree I have listed bedrooms in shared home 3 Share a bath then I have master ensuite bath. The cleaning fee is charged basically for cleanimg each room after checkout. I vacuum, mop dust do all windows and have sparkling clean for wvery new guest. I scrub bathroom whenever a checkout even if its just 1 room checking out every day. The common area is cleaned as well.Kitchen, living room dining room lanai. I have a full house 8 people and a guest complaint yesterday the cleaning was not good enough in kitchen. It was spotless when I left Wednesday evening after having new guests check in. I have a long term couple who leaves there clutter everywhere. Water bottles, fruit, clutter on counter she thinks she is entitled to take over because they are renting for 2 months. She rearranged the whole kitchen to her liking and leaves shoes out in common area, personal items has claimed her own junk draw full of her medicine vitamins basic junk. After sever polite attempts asking her to please feel free to keep anything personal or she wants in her room, but if she could please keep all shared spaces clear. Now I have complaint I am a not clean host kitchen is not very clean. Mind you I have a complete minimalist look in this brand new home 1 yr old only large spacious with excellent reviews for sparkling clean or almost sterile its so clean. Not one bad review in a year this guest is ruining it for my other guests in other 3 rooms. Any suggestions. I don’t live there, yesterday was Thanksgiving so today I have a complaint of a dirty kitchen I can just imagine leftovers all over. No complaints on Wednesday upon checkin just this morning 1 1/2 days later. Anybody help?

@Runner23 , I think your problem is going to be collecting on that additional cleaning fee. Airbnb’s security deposit, well, isn’t a real security deposit. Airbnb won’t make the guest pay anything. So, if you request payment from the guest and they decline, you’re stuck. If the guest hasn’t left you a review before you request payment, then your chances of getting a bad review from the guest increase exponentially, and it’s almost guaranteed if the guest declines the request before they’ve left you a review.

@KKC has an extremely valid point. If the guest left the place so clean that you didn’t have to do any cleaning at all, would you give them a refund? I think it’s unlikely.

I’ve removed some of my rules over time because I realized that my regular cleaning routine would take care of a lot of the messes left behind by guest with little or no additional cost/time from me. I realized what is important is to try to minimize actual damage to the listing.

Your best bet is to charge a fee that covers your time and your supplies on the average. Put in your house rules what you expect from the guest in terms of cleanliness. If guests don’t comply, then note it in your review of those guests as a warning to future hosts, then move on.

@Replytodebbi, I personally think that having random strangers share space without a host living onsite is a disaster waiting to happen. Add to that the psychological effect that long term stays have on people and you’ve got a perfect storm. It’s not necessarily a bad business model, but it’s not well suited to Airbnb where your business is dependent on reviews and you are at the mercy of how your guest’s stays are affected by each other with nobody onsite to keep bad behavior in check.

4 Likes

I would have to agree that the 2 month tenant is the problem, if she has been there less than a month I would cancel her reservation now before it gets worse. I am not sure what country @Replytodebbi is from but in the US most states 30 days is a tenant not a guest.

I think this business model could work out, with a host that is close buy and involved and if you attract the right kind of guests. I am thinking of doing this when the PCT hikers come though next spring.

RR

Empty the drawer in a box and put it in their room.

Take control

RR

2 Likes

I would like to, she is very sensitive or pushy not sure which. I have coveyed all personal items in room please. I went to change a lightbulb outside and she had over 50 seashells in front of garage door I almost tripped with ladder. I placed on side of house. She responded with a haughty did you move my shells from front of house? I responded it was a safety issue and again please put you personal items in your room. Thank you for understanding. She still leaves clutter all over house. Shells are now on lanai floor! The kitchen counters cluttered with fruit grapes on a paper plate, coconuts shells she found on beach , crackers, chip bags ect. She does not get it. I take pictures all the time. Air bnb seems to side with guests

1 Like

Time to tell her to follow the rules or cancel.

I would call air and tell them she refuses to follow the rules and you need her/them out.

RR

2 Likes

Thank you seems to be only way out. Was hoping for a kind mutual understanding of rules. It seems Im like Mary Poppins LOL

2 Likes

Stop sending me messages.

I do not see where she sent you a message? This is an old thread, maybe its time to shut it down.

RR

1 Like