Ever have a guest booking send their kids but the adult not show up?

Curious to see how this worked out for you.

6 Likes

Ditto. OP has been strangely silent since posting.

Expected sympathy and got told to take responsible action and didn’t like the answers?

10 Likes

Damn, this STR gig is such easy money…

:rofl:

JF

5 Likes

She was told the previous time that she needs to get a backbone, go over there, and act like she actually owns the place. She’s doing it again, and then shutting out the folks that are telling her that she needs to take control or it will just be rinse, repeat…

4 Likes

I need a sarcasm font. I remember her last post and ghosting after she got excellent advice here.

1 Like

She had three specific questions.

She didn’t ask for advice or to be told what she needs to do.

We humans tend to be open to listening to advice when we ask for it.

I’m guilty of giving unsolicited advice so I’m not surprised she didn’t respond to my comments.

2 Likes

The booking violates Air’s own policy. The host has every reasonable expectation to expect Air’s support to cancel it and prevent/remove any review.

3 Likes

I about spit my wine out reading that!

RR

5 Likes

Those questions were answered:

1. Are the 18 year old big sisters in charge?
    Answered by many: We don’t know. Manage your listing and find out.

2. Why doesn’t AirBnB have an emergency hotline for hosts to call when weir shizola happens?
    Answered by many: Because it is YOUR responsibility to manage YOUR listing. Air has a number to call to cancel the listing and evict the tenants. Manage your listing. It’s your business. Air is only a booking platform.

3. I would LIKE to know how a 3rd party booking happens on a “5 star account.”
    Answered by many: Lots of reasons, all listed above.

Yes, she got advise because she ASKED FOR IT.

She’s ghosted before with a similar issue and it’s OK for any of us to call that out.

Yes, but that’s not what she asked. She wanted Air to actually boot the people without her managing her business.

4 Likes

I think she well knows that she needs “to manage her business” without a dozen people chewing her out, with little to no constructive advice.
It mostly seemed she was venting. But hey - what is a host post without a dressing-down by strangers on the 'net? Gosh that would be no fun at all.

5 Likes

how long are the kids staying there?

You really don’t seem to like this forum or responses here @Jefferson

I wonder why you continue to be a member here when there are so many others you could join?

This is the second time this situation happened to this host and she was given advice on how to minimise the risk of this happening.

6 Likes

@Helsi Feel better? LOL! Thank you for proving my point.
If you have anything to offer the OP then please by all means do so. Per usual, there was “some advice from some” and a bunch of typical criticism from others that is not remotely constructive or helpful … kinda like your comment to me.
Help the OP, or not, as you like - leave me out of it.

1 Like

Exactly why I don’t allow IB or any primary renter under 30yo. I also state that anyone under 18 must be accompanied by parents at all times. Making people actually interact w/you before letting them into your house is paramount; I don’t need my house being wrecked by partiers!

1 Like

Nope, Air doesn’t back hosts whatsoever. I have MUCH better luck w/its #1 competitor for sure.

1 Like

We briefly (about 3 seconds) thought of self-check-in for the VR and immediately dismissed the idea. We have always personally met everyone that has stayed at any of our properties, with one exception and that was our one horror show.
We’ve had a number of different types of rentals over the years. Rented a whole house seasonally in a resort area two hour from where we lived. Rented a multi-unit building in the same area. Rented one unit of a two-family house in a rural area and rented an apartment in a two-family in the middle of Boston. and now, nearly three dozen guests in a casita on our property in NM.
Tenants or guests may have been a little difficult but the only truly problematic one that had to be evicted was the one time we let a realtor rent to someone we did not meet in person.

3 Likes

Years ago I had my condo listed with a STR property management company.

In the past 7 years of being on Airbnb I occasionally have a difficult (but not terrrrribbblllleee) guest.

My worst guest EVER (neighbors were calling me at midnight) was through the management company. I couldn’t reach the guest. No one from the management company returned my calls to their emergency number. I told the neighbors to call the police, there was nothing I could do.

That was the deciding episode for me to make the leap to managing my own STR.

1 Like

Oh indeed! We have been landlords for a long time and do 100% of it ourselves. We would never trust a “mere realtor” (just a salesperson) to interview, show or vet ANY of our tenants.
As owner-occupied with 4 units or less (USA protected status), we get to choose our tenants as we see fit. Knock on wood, we have never had a single vacancy in over 13 years. Only twice did we need to keep small portions of security deposits, for just minor damages: $50 for one and $400 for another (he put a hot pot on the carpet and left a round scorch mark, so no choice but to replace that one room). Super nice guy - he now lives 1/2 mile away in the same town and we’re friends.

1 Like

Ironically I had never had this happen. Then shortly after you posted this thread I got a request from an 18 year old with no reviews to come with her sister for 10 days prior to college starting. She was forthcoming with answers about everything and expressed a commitment to our house rules (It is a homeshare.) I told her that I wasn’t comfortable without talking with a parent. I had a great chat with her mom, feel comfortable with the girls and made it clear that if there were any problem the mom would need come to help them leave. (That was her suggestion). I’m a person who often acts on my gut and it serves me well so I accepted the reservation.

6 Likes

Sounds like the girl may need to use her mom’s credit card, right? So, isn’t this a 3rd party booking?
If so, take it direct? Otherwise, you would not be covered by Air (though 3rd party STR Insurance may), if anything happens?
It sounds like it “will be fine”. I am merely concerned if this actually is a 3rd party booking or not, given the circumstance.