Entitled kid whining

What I do is make them cancel and then if the room books for the dates they told me they wanted I refund the money for those dates.

Normally I explain to them that I have 2 rooms and not 20 and because they told me to take the room off the market they committed to it on those dates. Anyone else who might have wanted the room on those dates could not book it because of them and my promise to them. I cannot refund unless the room is booked again. So the sooner they cancel the sooner the room becomes available and the better the chances for a refund.

It’s not your problem that his friends can’t make it. In fact, it’s not your problem no matter what the reason is. Their problems cannot be allowed to become your problems. The only exception I would make is in the case of a death or medical emergency.

2 Likes

In order to get this nonsense over, I’ve offered him a compromise if the dates are rebooked, he will only lose 25% instead if 50%, minus any loss if I have to discount to get a booking. Radio silence since I sent this, I should have given him a deadline.

I typically say the ONLY way for me to refund any portion of your stay is IF you cancel. Typically they do an I give 20% or less, granted I try and avoid specific $$ amount conversations prior to them cancelling. This has worked well bc usually at this point I dont want the people staying and the dont want to stay.

4 Likes

I know this has come up on other threads, but this is what I think, as well - tell them to cancel and IF the dates are rebooked you’ll give him a refund (maybe less a $25 booking fee for having to deal with all of this nonsense).

At this point you don’t want him to stay there. He’s already unhappy before he arrives so I don’t think it will end well and you will be uncomfortable the whole time he is there. Even though you could keep more, give him as much reason to cancel the booking as you can.

I’d stick to your guns, though.

• He should be more careful when booking, and as others have said
  • It’s not your fault that his friend cannot make it.
  • He’s threatening and seems like he always gets his way. I cannot stand people like this!
  • He tied up your place from being rented at full rate so you’re both taking a risk that it will be re-rented.

Good luck, @Louise. I don’t envy you having to deal with this guy.

5 Likes

It’s not too late to give HIM a deadline now. I would tell him your offer expires at the end of the day because every day he ties it up there is less chance of rebooking it.

If it were me, at this point I’d tell him:
"Only if re-booked, I’ll give you a full refund less my own booking fee if you cancel before midnight tonight. If you cancel by midnight August 12th I will give you 75% back if rebooked. If you cancel by August 26 (?) you will receive a 50% refund if you cancel. After that time you will receive nothing back.

Please note I am making an exception for you, which I hope you appreciate. You have “held my availability” until now and I am taking a risk that I will lose income for this period that I rely on. If you decide to proceed with the booking we need to move forward without any animosity."

8 Likes

And also, be sure to tell them that you can’t refund until the time of their stay because that is when you get paid.

3 Likes

Update, I sent him a deadline. His reply was an apology and excusing it because I didn’t explain how Airnb works to him! Now, he’s going to keep the booking. Here is my response.
Thank you for your apology. In future, take the time to read what you are paying for and the cancellation policies.

It’s not my job to explain Airnb to you, it’s yours and there are many resources you can use. I set my policy to strict as I have a very short season when there is interest, people also plan ahead, so if they had wanted my place, but it was booked, they have gone elsewhere. Yes, I can cancel a booking, but then I’m subject to penalties. Why should I take the burden of your poor planning?

Your behaviour has been troublesome. I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and give you a second chance.
I expect you to treat my home and myself with respect, as if I was your parent or grandparent. If you or your group cause me any distress, break rules, or cause damage, I will not hesitate to have Airnb cancel your stay, with no refund. There will be no excuses accepted, one incident and you are out. Airnb is based on mutual respect and trust. You have caused me considerable distress with your accusations of dishonesty.

If you wish to change the number of guests go to the app and enter the new number. If you need help, contact Airnb.

Louise

12 Likes

I guess all that’s left is to give him a couple of whacks and send him to his room. :grin:

9 Likes

I love your firm approach!!! Do keep us posted on his stay and if he behaves. I’d be stressed out knowing this guy was coming. :frowning:

3 Likes

Yup. I have an impressively sized brother who can come and glower at them. I will print out expectations as well as sending them via message.

I hate people who whine to get out of commitments, to get a better grade etc. So, I wasn’t disposed to wave my magic wand to make it all better.

4 Likes

These type are all wind. But, I do have my own bouncer. Dear brother is in actuality very gentle, but he is impressively sized.

4 Likes

I wonder what review he will leave. How did he word the apology? Was it coherent?

I am sooo proud of you Louise. The guy realized he was stuck and you let him know it will be YOUR rules, and not his.

Can I ask if you told him that he is a crazy nut for saying the kitchen is shared? Did you tell him that you have no desire to interact with his nut case friends?

2 Likes

Semi coherent, and very much it’s not my fault because, I’m new, I don’t like green eggs and ham, …

To cabinhost, this was part of my offer emai, “Accusing me of dishonesty is not the best way to negotiate. Hosts are penalized for cancelling reservations. You can look it up online. My listing is an entire separate space, we only share the driveway. You can cook your breakfast nude for all I care, as I can’t see you. Airnb has reviewed my listing and it fulfills the criteria for entire home/ private.”

7 Likes

Did you consider getting Air to cancel this for you without penalty? I would not want to host this brat. Leopards don’t change their spots. He could continue to be whiny and bratty once he arrives. He’s not started out well.

1 Like

Yes, but then I’d have get another booking. Also, it would let him off the hook. I made it clear that I’d take no nonsense, or he and his friends would be booted out, with no refund. He’s obviously keen not to lose the $.

5 Likes

Honestly if was him
I would not stay. Your responses are too rough. I understand he was unpleasant but then he apologized. After all aren’t you afraid he will do damage out of spite? I wouldn’t even want him in my separate unit anyway. after all of this communication especially if I am right there , at the same property.

Also about rich kids: I know quite a bit of kids who attended the best and most expensive schools in US by getting scholarships and leaving their parents in debt for awhile ( including my own kid) who are far of being spoiled brats and nothing but hardworking and appreciative young people. My favorite guests too.

1 Like

Did we ever determine that he actually attended the fancy school on his profile? Didn’t you say he was attending the community college?

I would still be worried about this reservation. It might come back to bite you. I know you said you were worried about filling it. It’s better to have no reservation than one like this.

1 Like

In my experience, kids with scholarships are careful with money, they check on arrangements before spending large and small amounts. They are polite and responsible. My nephew was one. He visited one of his private school classmates . The mother made them a snack, the classmate told his mother to take it back and get something else. When my nephew expressed surprise at this, the kid asked him wouldn’t you do the same, nephew said, only if I wanted to find a new place to live.
This fellow comes across as entitled, petulant and spoiled. I’m fairly new at Airnb hosting, but I’ve been a nurse for over 40 years. I’ve worked in emergency, critical care and now home care. Nurses are skilled assessors and must do this rapidly and accurately. Someone comes in complaining of a headache. It could be a headache, a ruptured brain aneurysm or a drug seeker. We need to make an accurate triage decision, erring on the side of caution, but knowing the first is more common, the second potentially fatal and the latter very complex.

I recently had a woman come into my care who had “lung cancer” and was palliative. The doctor and palliative care consultant agreed she was in need of palliative care, after a few visits, I picked up on multiple objective signs that this lady had Munchausen Syndrome and not lung cancer. The doctor and palliative consultant had never reviewed her x-rays, just went on her word, as well, they only saw her briefly. They were fooled by her, it took me three weeks to be sure.

My assessment of this chap is that few people have refused his demands. I had to set the limits of what is expected when he’s in my home. If he causes damage, I will have before pics of the unit. There is nothing in the unit that is precious. My brother will drop by to show him how the BBQ works.

Munchausen syndrome

3 Likes

He listed a private school in China that has a program to get Chinese students education credits acceptable for Canadian universities.