Enough with the non-stick cookware, folks

No one should be buying non-stick cookware either for themselves or their rentals.

3 Likes

I don’t know the answers of why but over the past 60 years it seems there’s more:
People with dementia
Children diagnosed with autism
Women with MS
Men with Parkinson’s

My mother & her 3 siblings died of causes related to dementia.

I’ve long felt it was environmental. Maybe this is it?

1 Like

What really upsets me is that there are many things that science has identified as carcinogenic, yet those things are still available to consumers and are bought and used every day by millions of people. The multi-national companies that produce this stuff are able to get around regulations, and silence their employees and victims and continue to poison people and the environment. There are hundreds of unregulated chemicals being used in everyday products.

Watch the movie “Dark Waters”, which is all about the real-life Teflon whistleblower case. Yet this crap is still being produced and sold.

A friend of mine grew up in a part of Ohio where a bunch of rivers, that all run through big agrobusiness country converge. Her mother and father and brother all died of cancer, she has had cancer and her sister is currently going through chemo and radiation. All her neighbors where she grew up have either died of, or have had cancer.

When people used to come to my door collecting for cancer research, I would say sorry, but when the govt. bans the things they already know cause cancer, I will consider contributing to cancer research.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting question to dive into. Is there more or is it more apparent, more recognized, more often diagnosed all while being a smaller world? And how much of it is because of a longer life span? There’s no solid answer, but it’s a good question.

Even if it is because of non-stick pans, it isn’t only because of them, there’s so much we’re exposed to now.

Personally, I don’t see the point of them. Well-seasoned cast iron is a better non-stick surface and its only side effect is extra iron in the diet (only if you cook acidic stuff in it), which is typically a positive thing.

6 Likes

I have a set of RevereWare copper bottomed steel pots and pans, Le Crueset pots and Dutch Ovens, and a couple cast iron pans.

It’s easy to season pans and easy to clean even enameled pots and pans if you take good care of them.

2 Likes

We have stainless pots and a stainless frying pan too but otherwise cast iron, even our Dutch Oven is cast iron. I have one piece of that RevereWare copper bottomed that was my mom’s, it is the tiniest of little pans, smaller than a coffee cup in diameter but it’s all I kept of her set, I gave the rest to a friend who really needed it. I can’t imagine melting butter in anything else. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

If I remember correctly that set came with a pot look-a-like that was a one cup dry measure cup. Mom used hers to melt butter & warm syrup.

Perfect butter melting size!

2 Likes

I found one online. It says “sold”. Gasp. Who would sell that perfect little pan.

1 Like

Don’t know but I know someone who would gladly buy it!!!

2 Likes

When I was in college a lifetime ago I sold stainless steel cookware calling on women based on leads. I must have weighed 90 pounds at the time lugging two suitcases of pots and pans and I wasn’t a very good salesperson. However, I still have most of my set, the only casualties being horribly abused pieces. Good quality stainless is a great investment.

3 Likes

I was lucky enough to inherit my grandmother’s, her sister’s, and my mom’s RevereWare, and have added to the collection at thrift stores and garage sales. Only the old Made in USA stuff, though. The Indonesian pans are crap.

Everything besides the Revere is cast iron (a lot of it) or Pyrex.

The best piece of Revere is the 1976 Bicentennial omelette pan, copper outside, stainless inside, brass handle, and it makes perfect 3 egg omelettes every time. My bro and I spotted it at a garage sale but he got there first. He gifted it to me in return for staying here when they came back to clear out their storage unit.

3 Likes

At Arizona State this outfit was run by Mormons just back from their mission year, and their target audience was female Mormon ASU students wanting to build a “hope chest”. That was in 1965 and I never bought a sample set(!), I just never went back.

I have my late Mom’s RevereWare and the set she gifted me in 1978 when I got married. She also gave me my Le Creuset and I scour garage sales and flea markets for both.

The old stuff is the best. My Mom’s dates from 1953 and is still in gorgeous condition.

3 Likes

I am switching to Revere ware.
Our old sink from 1954 is getting sandblasted and re-enameled!! So happy it will now stand out in a good way and I won’t have to keep covering the rust with white nail polish!!

2 Likes

Definitely makes sense for personal use, but I can’t imagine the horrors of cleaning up after short-term renters who don’t know how to cook on anything other than non-stick. Hope you have a few extra hours set aside for kitchen cleanup!

1 Like

The Revere and cast iron are for ME. Guests get garage sale but like-new Teflon pans and silicone and wood utensils. No scratches after 3 years because of the non-scratch utensils. :wink:

I’m impressed. I don’t have any metal utensils. All are silicone, plastic & wood and the frying pans must be replaced every year either from someone burning them or scratches. The scratches look like knife cuts.

I just tossed the 3 quart pan that is a nice size for soup, rice or boiling potatoes. It looks like someone used the stainless steel dining spoon to stir & scrape and maybe the hand mixer. I hated to throw that pan away. I liked the size, even heating, & handles. I can’t find a replacement.

1 Like

No mixer. A silicon-coated whisk. Silverware & metal utensils are in drawer way from stove, whilst wood & silicone utensils are on the counter right next to stove. There is also a nice cutting board hanging nearby.

I have several extra pots & frying pans put away. All from garage sales for less than $5 each.

If a guest noticed my cast iron on my stove if I had my kitchen door open and asked nicely, convincing me they know how to care for seasoned cast iron, I might loan them my griddle or a skillet.

I think I have provided these non-scratch utensils as well but people still use the silverware and scratch it all up!!!

1 Like

This sounds like a possible solution to it a lot of times! Thanx.