End of season musings

I enjoy my guests & the majority of the time, I enjoy hosting. By this time of year, I’m grateful for my snowbird rentals.

Friends told me at the end of every season expect:

1. Something broken that had not noticed
  2. Have lots of touch up paint
  3. Replace Ruined non-stick cookware
  4. Buy new knives because the Sharp knives go missing
  5. Plan for one significant expense (e.g. new appliance, paint condo, new window treatments, or multiple sets new towels, sheets, comforters etc )

What no one tells you is you have to handle constant change. Of course that is true in everything but the change since 2019 has been almost overwhelming.

From 2016-2019, there was change with a foundation of consistency.
Starting with 2019 it seemed change grew exponentially, due to Covid, change to work from home, increased costs, increased competition, guests adapting to higher costs by having shorter stays, guest expectations becoming more demanding, changing Airbnb policies and at least 30 more things.

I used to think my parents were showing they were old by complaining about change & wanting it to stop. I think I’m old now…

Any one else?

9 Likes

You are just more observant and wise! The quicker the pace of change, the harder it is for almost anyone regardless of age. I lamented that one reason I stopped part-time online teaching was because they kept changing the platform for online classes and communication and I struggled with learning the new ones. Was I too old to adapt? Then I chuckled to myself and realized that new computer programs challenged me pretty well in my youth as well.

3 Likes

I think what feels like rapid change is just a sort of seeing the mile markers whiz by. At a certain point you know there are more yesterdays than tomorrows and that might be met with trepidation. So it’s natural reaction for some people to be frustrated by rapid change. I find myself frustrated by technology I don’t understand. Things that used to be easy seem more complicated. However, I’m kind of a forward looking person. I don’t think things were better in the past, old stuff (music, books, furniture, anything) isn’t my favorite. I still have a lot of adventures ahead that I’m looking forward to. But I think that’s a personality thing, not an age thing. Or if anything, it’s a health thing. Healthy people feel young and more optimistic.

4 Likes

We’re all creatures of habit regardless if we’re elderly, children or pets. No one really likes changes in their routine. I try to roll with the punches but it’s exhausting LOL

2 Likes

After spending this spring and summer working pedal-to-the-metal at our day jobs, dealing with my husband’s post-consussion issues, pet hospice, and cleaning and keeping up my duplex, we’re both very glad to have some down time. Getting some painting done, and changing out a few light fixtures. Also moaning to each other, “Remember all that energy I had in my 20s and 30s? Wasted opportunity. Can I have some of that energy back now please?”

My favorite quote about change is from Al Swearengen in Deadwood. “Change ain’t lookin’ for friends. Change calls the tune we dance to.” I really try hard to be adaptable and open to new ideas, sometimes it’s easier, sometimes harder. I’m just glad to be able to make my own choices about most of my life.

1 Like

Change. Our season, here in southern Virginia, is in flux. For most, as the temperature drops, the reservations may taper off. Our property may see an uptick as we’ve added wheelchair access and have been contacted by a local agency with several branches delighted to find a larger place for their developmentally disabled adults to vacation. This was a risky & expensive change but it seems to have been worth it.

Personally, a recent health issue of my husband has stopped me in my tracks when, for the first time in my life I realized I’m never going to… I’m never going to go certain places. I’m never going to do some things. It was such a shock. Sure, we have done a lot of things, we can do a lot of things, I can do a lot on my own…but some things…no, not gonna happen. Never, ever gonna happen. The time has passed. I just…I just…

10 Likes

Sorry to read of your sudden unwelcome change. I’ve seen similar with some friends. So I’m doing my best to squeeze all I can in now.

This would actually be the beginning of my high season, and after being closed to bookings for 2 years due to Covid, and getting my first guest after that in May, I was really looking forward to hosting again. But I have had to block off most of Nov, as my 18 year old granddaughter wants to come stay, which is something I want- it will be her first trip anywhere without mom and dad, she’s really excited about it and I am looking forward to spending some one-on-one time with her, which I haven’t had a chance to do since she was young.

So that is a change of plan I wasn’t anticipating, which I hope will prove to be a nice thing, but will be challenging, as she has not been an easy teenager (or child for that matter)- her ADHD has led to some poor decision-making, so grandma is going to have to keep a kid who thinks she’s an adult just because she’s 18, in check, and make sure she doesn’t get herself in any potentially dangerous situations. I hope I’m not too old for it.

As for changes in hosting, I imagine one of the most difficult changes for hosts would be having local regulations brought in which require them to change their heretofore successful hosting model. Either having strs banned entirely, having to spend a lot more money on permits, etc, having the number of days they are allowed to host limited, and so on. And also having a bunch of hotels or otherwise much more competition suddenly appear in their area.

I read something years ago that has always stuck with me. “When you come to a fork in the road, choose the one that scares you the most, as it will lead to an interesting, rather than complacent life.”

7 Likes

@KKC I think that is a lesson more people might want to learn. We delayed some things because my husband is one of those people who can’t fathom not being available to an employer at a moment’s notice (probably because of a military background). We could have taken advantage of military hops and gone anywhere in the world, but the scheduling was never sure enough. Also, our vacations were to visit family, always, rarely for any other reason. Now, the physical abilities to endure certain adventures just aren’t there. I’m grateful for the adventures I’ve had, though, and there are more to come, believe me. They just look different.

2 Likes

Wish I could send my 18 year old granddaughter down to you as well, just to get her away from crappy boyfriend, lol.

5 Likes

I hear you. Now that we have time, we have some physical limitations and less money to do many things on the bucket list. I think I live vicariously through my globe trotting daughter. I’m actually doing virtual walks/hikes online with my Fitbit and a program called the Conqueror Challenges. Pathetically it sends me a postcard when I “reach” certain points. Still, I’m REALLY getting to Paris someday even if they have to scatter my ashes there, lol.

3 Likes

I am so sorry this has happened. This change seems to happen in all our lives so suddenly.

My dear friend of 32 years and I were discussing how quickly life can change. When we first became friends, it seemed like our husbands could do anything physically they wanted and do it well. She & I had good careers and looked good in a bikini. Those days are gone, long gone. Especially the bikini, I need to mash my droopage into something covering.

Lean on your loved ones & friends. You both are stronger than you think. My beloved mother used to say “things always work out, it may not be the way you want but it works out”. I would roll my eyes & think “sure yea right” but she was right.

1 Like

The problem is that so many people have to learn for themselves. I’m pretty good at learning from the mistakes of others. My parents saved more than spent and lived short lives without much adventure. I knew that wasn’t for me. And every time someone close to me gets sick and passes away I feel that urge to do more turn up a notch. I’ve been very lucky.

I just saw 72 year old Bonnie Raitt in concert this week and she is so full of gratitude and good advice about “living for those who can’t.” If your story inspires even one person to get up and get with it, whatever it may be, it will be a blessing.

5 Likes

@KKC I actually just had the same thought. If one person says, “Let’s go see Venice before it’s an underwater attraction, instead of babysitting the (beloved, brilliant, wonderful) grandkids for the fourth time this year,” it will be a good thing. I’ve sipped strong coffee with a Bedouin sheik in the Negev, snorkeled the Bermuda Triangle, helped create a couple of living beings & nursed one through her dying breath. I’ve loved a man, heart, mind & soul, for 43 years. I’m looking forward to the next chapter, however much less exerting it may be.

9 Likes

@momovich

Oh, it’s so painful to be blindsided, to come face-to-face with limitations on “doing”. My heart goes out to you and your loved ones.

2 Likes

:heart:your previous post. You’ve done a lot of livin’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well put, it is weird to think about a life well over half lived.

RR

4 Likes

I first heard Bill Clinton use the phrase and it really reasonated with me.

1 Like

@rubychix I do enjoy the memory of the respect the sheik had for my husband, as he assumed all of the women in our little research pod were his wives. :laughing:

3 Likes

My brother-in-law calls it “being on the home stretch”

2 Likes