Emotional support dog and room damage

Yes, you are right. I don’t need to include the dog. I did talk to airbnb staff on the phone about the dog but I doubt if they’ll connect it with the resolution form .Hopefully they aren’t reading this. Though I’m not being deceptive.

No you aren’t. Technically this is a guest who put bleach on your carpet. The dog didn’t even need to exist. It could have been done for a wine spill or something. I think that by not really mentioning the dog, you make it easier for CS. Otherwise, there becomes concerns over disability discrimination because it was supposedly an ESA. We know it was bunk but it just eliminates some issues for CS.

If they are, I am sure they would appreciate that we are trying to make their job easier :slight_smile: That’s what everyone wants really.

2 Likes

I don’t need to mention the dog. And in terms of warning other hosts, I’ve done that. I’ll let you all know what ends up happening with this. Thanks again.

2 Likes

That’s even better reason to not mention the dog with CS for your damage claim! Because the dog is mentioned in the review, it could cause the review to be removed if it became part of the investigation/claim.

Most of these people are lying. Lie back to them about alergies or whatever else we are allowed to say to not host them . They have guts to show up at someone door with a dog knowing this will upset their host . Then lock poor animal in a room in a strangers house all day …

2 Likes

I had one case of AirBnB covering half price for what I asked when a guest dog chewed through a king sheet set and comforter. The guest had declined and Airbnb said they would only pay me half because it could have been my dog that did the damage to the bedding in the guest’s private room. They said unless o could provide proof that my dog had never entered the guest’s room they wouldn’t pay it all. I think they paid $45 out of the $90 requested. The guest’s dogs were NOT called ESA dogs and the guest turned out to become a host shortly after leaving my house.

In my listing description, no animal can be left unattended more than four hours. I also have a flyer for the neighborhood pet resort for drop in care. Guest responsible for any damage pet does. (Tile floors luckily) The whole support dog thing is insane!

2 Likes

Tell Air that there was poop on the rug, must have been the guest there was no dog…

Laugh out loud

Good luck

RR

I read about a woman who travelled with 2 dogs. She claimed that dog #1 was her ESA and dog #2 was emotional support for dog #1. I kid you not.

5 Likes

People say all kinds of things…

For our shared space we have a no pet policy too.
We also have cats, and they are very territorial. They will attack any other animal entering the house.

We had guest trying to book, even though we put the cats in the listing.
It always helps to ask the guests if they love their pet, and explain we will not pay any veterinarian bills if they decide to take their pet with them.

Up to now, they always canceled.

5 Likes

They say that an ESA is not a pet, so imho the “not covered for pets damage” bit in the Air guarantee should not apply. anyone?

2 Likes

I’d try that angle for sure!!!

1 Like

Exactly. Guest, in an effort to clean up spot made on carpet, used a spray containing bleach which left a (?) 5 inch x 7 inch bleach mark on carpet.

2 Likes

THIS!! I’ve actually used this wording to weed out the “I’m bringing my ESA (teehee) who is crate trained…” It’s a great way to weed out the fakes in my no pets listing (Bengal cat who will go mental and I work from home… can’t deal with the noise of the poor animal going bonkers)

Love this forum, helps with elegant words when I can’t find them…

6 Likes

What exactly is the Airbnb policy on ESA ‘s ? We don’t want any animals whatsoever.

Airbnb policy:

1 Like

There are so many threads here on support animals vs ESAs. By the way if you have a separate home where you aren’t present you can’t really refuse a service animal under federal law. And you can’t refuse an ESA under Airbnb policy. So be sure you know the policy well and handle it correctly. You should also be aware that a person with such animal doesn’t even have to disclose it in advance. So if you get a guest with a suspected ESA dog make sure your ducks are in a row so you don’t get ducked by having a row. (attempted joke warning)

3 Likes
2 Likes

@Brian_R170 It just keeps getting better! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
The ad for getting an ESA letter is right above your post now!