Eggs for breakfast

Hi all,

Over the last year or two we have offered breakfast to our guests in the form of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, fresh homemade bread, jam/honey, juice, tea & coffee. We set it out in our kitchen the night before and then pop down first thing to put the fridge items / take bread out. Guests then come through when they’re ready and help themselves, and we usually catch up with them at some point during their brekkie. This has been working really well, and never had we had a comment about lack of cooked breakfast which suits me just fine!

We have just rehomed 4 hens who should start laying in the next few weeks. I think it would be really nice to incorporate eggs into the guests’ stay. However, with a toddler, it’s REALLY helpful allowing the guests to be reasonably self-sufficient. Possibly a silly question but is there any way I can get eggs into breakfast without actually having to cook them myself?!?! I’m not lazy, honest, just got 101 other things to be doing in the mornings!

Thanks,
Becky

1 Like

Wow @becky_jo

Your breakfast already sounds amazing. Many places don’t provide breakfast at all or just tea or coffee.

Unless your guests like their eggs raw :slight_smile: the only way of incorporating eggs into a guests breakfast if you can’t cook them yourselves is to let guests cook them, but then obviously they will need to cook and clear up themselves.

Honestly it is lovely you are thinking of this, but it sounds like you have your hands full in the morning so just keep your breakfast as is.

4 Likes

Thanks for that Helsi! Haha yes maybe it is a bit of a silly question… I thought I had heard of people providing cold hard-boiled eggs or something… I guess I could bake something with them the day before… but you’re right I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew!

You can cook them the night before @becky_jo put personally I think they taste best when cooked from fresh :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some ideas:

4 Likes

Thanks for the ideas! Didn’t think about an egg cooker…

Me neither until you asked the question :wink:: I might buy one for our guests :sunglasses:.

1 Like

@becky_jo - I think that @Helsi gave you a great answer … you’ve got enough to do as it is and the breakfast you offer now sounds lovely just as it is. Remember too that the more you offer, the more you have to clean. Also, you’ll find that a guest mentions your lovely fresh laid eggs in their review and from that point on every guest will expect the same. So if you’re too busy or if the hens aren’t laying then you’ll have disappointed guests.

I’m sure that your guests love their breakfast just as it is :slight_smile:

PS. Although I’ve never used an egg cooker, it does seem to be a good idea.

3 Likes

Id go with hard boiled eggs or even use them to bake muffins etc

4 Likes

I do full breakfasts for our guests, so I’m always looking for new and interesting ideas with or without eggs.

Almost any egg addition is going to require more work on your part. Not necessarily a LOT more work, but some.

Hardboiled
At least here in our local megamart grocery stores (Publix) you can buy peeled hardboiled eggs in packets of 2, 4, 6. This is the only way I can think of to put eggs out for breakfast without cooking. However, IMHO most guests are going to want a hardboiled egg in its shell, not pre-peeled.

I do Scotch Eggs (hardboiled egg wrapped in bulk sausage rolled in breadcrumbs and baked); but they are more time consuming than plain hardboiled eggs. See photo below.

Tortilla de Patata
This is a Spanish dish. Beaten eggs poured over fried potato slices and some diced onion then finished under the broiler. The Spanish eat these hot – or cold as a picnic item or sandwich filler. I make 9" mini versions with 4 slices of 3/4" thick fried potato with 1 egg. See the photo below. You could make up in advance anything from 1-slice versions to a large skillet version with 8 or more potato slices, set out on a plate and cut into portions.

Eggy Casseroles
There are lots of egg-and-things casseroles which can be made up in advance in small 1-serving containers and then heated before being set out. I have a recipe for a Southwestern casserole which has eggs poured over layers of cheese and green chiles (not jalapenos); also Hash Brown or Tater Tot casseroles.

Quiches
From simple Quiche Lorraine to overfilled with additions, you can make a variety of sizes and fillings of quiche ahead and then warm before serving. I offer individual Quiche Inna Cup (well Mug, really) which is microwaved. But it’s not really something you want guests to be messing about with – trust me… See photo below.

Scotch Egg

Tortilla%20de%20Patata
Tortilla de Patata

QuicheinnaCup%203
Quiche Inna Cup

4 Likes

Wow Ken, these look great! Thanks for your detailed response! They all look and sound tasty so might even try these just for us… :rofl:

I would do a quiche, you will get quick at it if you have everything ready to go. I have a full house rental and put out fresh eggs in a basket with a note about our happy chickens with names.

RR

3 Likes

One day @KenH , I’m coming to stay with you. (Remember a few years ago you said you’d make me beans on toast for breakfast? I haven’t forgotten)

But back to eggs…

Strangely it was only a few years ago that I found out that Americans tend to eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast. It seems strange to me. (English living in the USA). In England, hard boiled eggs were for egg mayonnaise, stuffed eggs or salady things.

But I discovered here that a) very few people have eggcups in their homes and b) that you can actually buy hard boiled eggs in the supermarket (which seems so lazy to me).

Using freshly laid eggs for hard boiling seems a bit daft - like using freshly baked bread for cheese on toast or tomatoes just off the vine for pasta sauce. Maybe it’s just me…

So fresh bread should just be eaten with lashings of fresh butter (oh dear, am I channelling the Famous Five?), a fresh tomato with brown bread, butter and a little pepper and a fresh egg boiled for four minutes and served with soldiers. I think I’m being too English here, but it seems a shame to hard boil new laid eggs :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It is also a recipe for failure. The fresher the egg the tougher the membrane and it often results in tearing up the eggs when you peel them. Grocery store eggs are old, like 3-6 weeks old by the time you get them and much better suited for hard boiling. That being said there are some tricks for boiling fresh eggs. I get a push pin and make a small hole in the fat end (air sac) of the egg and put a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in the water and they are usually easy to peel.

RR

6 Likes

I always love reading your food related posts @KenH - I can’t believe you guys eat Scotch Eggs for breakfast - who knew :slight_smile:

I love them but here we take them on picnics, have them as a supper dish with salad or cheese or similar. Or something we buy in the pub as a snack.

And buying pre boiled eggs from a grocery story, this is a bit like when M&S over here introduced pre cut baking potatoes, with grated cheese for you to put in an oven at home.

I am always gobsmacked at how lazy people can be, but buying pre-boiled eggs takes the biscuit - How hard can it be to put an egg in a pan of boiling water for 4.5 minutes for the perfect soft boiled egg (or however long you like your eggs cooked for) :slight_smile: :frowning:

3 Likes

Jackie – I’ll even get the fancy British Beans when you come to stay! I also make Irish Soda Bread or Scottish Buttermilk Bread you could have your beans on!

I must admit hardboiling fresh laid eggs seems a bit harsh! Old eggs are much better for hardening. Good tip there RR.

3 Likes

My mother used to make her soda bread fresh every morning @KenH using milk she used to let go sour on the kitchen window sill :slight_smile:

Now I just use buttermilk.

I use “cheater” buttermilk – Half & Half plus juice of a lemon…

1 Like

We do not offer a cooked breakfast but get rave reviews about our fresh baked bread from the bread machine and home made preserves. We also offer fresh coffee from our bean to cup machine, a range of other coffees and teas, plain yoghurt, fruit juice, cereals and sometimes apple sauce from our apples. I recently started offering hard boiled eggs from our hens that guests see wandering about the garden. I boil them for 8 minutes so they are not over cooked. Now getting rave reviews for these too. Very easy to do and keep in the fridge for a couple of days.

1 Like

This is also strange to me as I have never heard of it being common for Americans to eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I mean…I am sure some people do that for protein and ease of transportation, etc. But I have never known anyone to eat them for breakfast. For me, I have always associated hard boiled eggs sliced up on a salad, or maybe eaten as midday snack. I also did not know you could find hard boiled eggs in the grocery.