Eggs for breakfast

Sounds great - so do you boil them on the morning, to order, as such?

The first I knew of it was only a couple of years ago and it was due to Airbnb guests. I was doing a turnover and one of the first things I do is check the fridge for leftovers. (Often there are goodies that I take to eat).

This one time there was a packet of hard boiled eggs. I thought it was so weird that I took a photograph of the package before I threw them away especially so that I could show my English other half. He said he wouldn’t have believed it either without the photo.

The next time I was in the supermarket I looked especially for them and there they were. Baffling :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just found this:

Unless I forget, I boil them the night before, put them into cold water to cool them quickly then keep them in the fridge. They are perfectly fresh for 3 days if you keep them in the fridge except when you have them on the table. I write Hard on them in pencil so guests know they are cooked! Very common in mainland Europe to have cold hard boiled eggs available. Personally, I think it is important to use good quality rather than cheap eggs which can be very tasteless.

1 Like

Best served with Tapitio sauce:) That’s how I eat them for breakfast or lunch. I have 12 chickens I eat a lot of eggs:)

RR

Mr Joan is a fan of gadgets. I have a kitchen drawer full of unused/discarded gadgets. The latest was indeed an egg cooker, for boiling or poaching.

Boiling: impossible to time well, takes ages, and they can explode!

Poaching: better, but the cups for poaching are a nightmare to get the remains of egg white off. Wire wool a necessity.

I was less than sympathetic when he scalded himself, and glad to see it tucked away.

Enjoy your eggs for yourselves and I love to hear of re-homed chucks!

I don’t offer breakfast at my place, but when I do eat breakfast, I like to have some options for protein rather than just carbs & fat. Yogurt is OK, and cold cereal with milk, but eggs are also a fave. I was about to recommend the egg cooker when I saw your post, so I’ll just add my vote. There are several models, up to at least a 6-egg capacity, and they’re easy to use. Just leave eggs in the fridge and instructions for hard- or soft-boiled, and there is a minimum of effort of cooking or cleanup. A hard-boiled egg or two can also be a nice take-along for lunch.

So go for it. There’s no need to be . . . chicken.

1 Like

I have a friend that has Chickens and a B & B. The problem that happened to her with Home Chickens (which is more likelihood) some Eggs may go bad for whatever reason and then there will be Food Poisoning. She had two separate guests that ate eggs get Food Poisoning.
I serve Breakfast Options: Yogurt (low sugar), Fruit, Juice, Milk, Muffins or Croissants or Toast, Jam/Butter and Coffee. And have gotten very positive feed back. People seem to really like the Yogurt and Costco Muffins.

I have never ever had an egg go bad, my chickens are superstars, 10 out of 12 layed yesterday. I would never worry about this. I doubt is was the eggs.

RR

if i were you and I wouldn’t be able to cook I’d keep the breakfast the way it is. Unless you are prepared to mop eggs from the floor, stove, stove top, microwave - you don’t want to see how an egg explodes in a microwave - and scrub burned pans. Although most guests will be fine you will get some who don’t have any ideas what they are doing and will make a mess in your kitchen.
Murphy’s laws: if it can happen, it will.

So I have re-thought this after reading a article @jaquo wrote and linked to somewhere. I realized I am encouraging a mess, look eggs lets get bacon…

No more eggs from me!

RR

2 Likes

There are a few bad eggs. Its just the nature of eggs. If you use real farm fresh eggs, every once in a great while, like 1 in 100, you’ll get a bad egg. If you’re smart, you don’t eat that egg because the shell makes a crack and hiss and it smells really bad. If you’re not smart, then you should leave the cooking up to someone else.

I had a guest tell me he got influenza from my Airbnb. I didn’t even bother to tell him this is a communicable disease only possibly spread from a live body and he was the only one there. I guess I would believe my guests food poisoning claims about as much as that. Thus probably why the Costco Yogurt and Muffins win. I like to eat healthy though so I’d much rather eat something else.