Education on linens

I bought mine from Amazon. There are dozens of different ones to choose between with lots of reviews. I find that they work great with non-static prone fabrics; with static prone fabrics I still need to use dryer sheets.

I had great luck w/ sheets from JCP. My cleaning people love them, elastic all around the fitted sheet and plenty big enough for a thick mattress:

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/luxury-performance-1000tc-sateen-wrinkle-free-deep-pocket-sheet-set-studio/ppr5007240478?pTmplType=regular

I have two queen size beds and we use cream colored sheets on those beds. We upgraded to a split king at home 2 years ago and I moved all of our very high quality personal sheets to the STR, so they are a mix of colors. When JCP has a sale I buy an extra set and hold them back for replacement. We keep three active sets for each bed.

1 Like

I have purchased “Heart Felt” for my self and “Woolzies” for a gift off of Amazon Both brands are great. Also I buy the essential oils for scent, but this is not necessary:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GFXRF62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, if you have a load with fleece blankets or other full polyester garments there will be some static on those items in the load. I just deal with it though! They really shorten dryer time using them on low has really helped my electric bill.

Adding white vinegar to your rinse cycle (we use a “Downy ball”) will prevent the static. We don’t use any other fabric softeners, only white vinegar in the washer rinse cycle and dryer balls in the dryer and don’t have any static.

3 Likes

Thanks for this! Can’t wait to try it!

1 Like

I do the same thing. The only thing you must be careful about is, if any stains didn’t come out, the vinegar will make them subsequently harder to remove. Vinegar is used to help “fix” dyes.

3 Likes

I buy from them also. ) I do have question. I have never bought pillow cases from them. How the pillow cases are? are the closed in the end or open like a bag? Thank you !

@Ping The pillow cases I get from them are regular bag-top pillow cases, though they have numerous pillow cases to go with all the different sheets and such. The pillow cases match the sheets I bought and they are wonderful. I like that they are long enough that you don’t see the pillow sticking out at the end. I find a lot of consumer linens have very short pillow cases and the pillow sticks out.

What you are describing as closed at the end is what I would call a “sham” instead of a “pillow case”. You could search their site for shams if that’s what you’re interested in but if you just don’t want the pillow to stick out the end, the pillow cases I have gotten don’t have that problem anyways. I don’t think that shams will be common on there because they are not common in hotels but you could have a look. Also, it’s possible to order a “sample” of just a single pillow case to see if they suit your needs. If you’re not in a rush that may be the best option.

1 Like

Will do! I usually spot clean but have definitely missed spots and they set in the dryer so I had to resort to bleach! Can you put vinegar right in the bleach tray or do you need to use something like the downy ball to disperse?

2 Likes

I don’t think this will work as well because that goes into the washing cycle. We use the downy ball so that it goes into the rinse cycle. You could just watch it and add to the rinse cycle though.

1 Like

Oh right! Duh, the rinse cycle. Got it!

1 Like

Amazon has the downy balls but I think I got our last one at Target, so they’re pretty easy to find. Sometimes I do just pour some extra into the wash if there’s blankets or a lot of workout clothes or something that is particularly prone to static. I’m not sure if it helps but makes me feel better I guess.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I like the pillow cases called envelop close pillow cases. I hate to see the pillow stick out the end also. The best I have bought were from Ikea, I also found some on Amazon but they are all microfiber. It’s a great idea to order a sample. I will look into it.

2 Likes

A lot of places are going to refer to those as “shams” - if it helps with your searching :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much. I will definitely add to the search. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t find good options to buy.))

1 Like

Also check out The Distinguished Guest’s article on linens. She explains what hotels use and why commercial linens are usually the best choice. (Personally I used her research to help me choose wholesale commercial linens.)

2 Likes

I run a full service laundromat, and we service a variety of different rental properties and small inns. I would recommend looking at Innstyle’s website for both linens and advice. They supply a huge variety of linens and consumables for the hospitality industry, and have an entire site dedicated to helping innkeepers and hosts with their businesses.

When it comes to laundering linens, it might be worth using a laundromat to cut the laundering process out of your business, or to cut the time on your end. Many laundromats have machines that are fast and reasonably affordable, and will save tons of time if you have a lot of linen to clean (as in wash and dry linen for 10 beds in about an hour). Or skip the process and drop your linen off for wash and fold, if you have the budget for that.

2 Likes

I’ve checked them out before and their prices are really high. Since we need linen for 5 beds/3 apartments it was much cheaper to buy direct. In fact, their mark-up on the sheets is so high, that it’s really cheaper to buy retail as a lot of hosts are doing.

We started doing this and it comes out cheaper than the utilities we paid to do them ourselves! It’s a great deal even before factoring in wear and tear on our machines, detergents, time, etc. I highly recommend the wash and fold too!

2 Likes

@Keugenia Kim, I recommend Lands End Supima Cotton No Iron Sateen Sheets. I bought a set over 3 years ago and my cleaning team told me that of all of the sheets that I have, they prefer using this set over and over again over any other set. In fact, they will rush to drop the Lands End set in the wash so that they can make the bed with the same set.

1 Like