Edit my review of this guest

After arriving, this guest and GF proceeded to bring a giant bottle of vodka and a few quarts of juice and proceeded to spend the entire night drinking, inside and outside of my home, on my private (no guest allowed) porch - noisily carousing until my neighbors called me at 6am saying it was time for them to stop or they would scale the police.

I asked them to leave, they did, and airbnb offered to pay the second day’s $$$s since I had strict - but i agreed to split it.

They then left an apparently bad review and air sent me this:

“I just want to let you know that I did look over the review that was left by your guest and it did violate our terms of service. The guest did misrepresent some of the information that I provided him and thusly I have gone ahead and hidden the review so that it is not viewable by other potential guest.”

So… I want to do my review of this guest. How does this look so far? Critiques and comment please:

Ian and guest broke several house rules, including ‘no partying’, and going into my private spaces without consent. Walking naked through my house, making others uncomfortable, and staining my bedding and floors with spilled liquids, and noisily carousing in and outside of my home culminated in a warning from the local police. I cannot recommend this couple to other hosts.

Minor tweaks:

Ian and guest broke several house rules, including ‘no partying’, and going into my private spaces without my consent.

The house rules violations included: walking naked through my house, staining my bedding and floors with spilled liquids, and noisily carousing in and outside of my home. Their stay culminated in a warning from the local police. I cannot recommend this couple to other hosts.

The “making others uncomfortable” bit is vague. What did they do, exactly?

Also, re the “walking naked” part. If this is a shared space, as it seems to be, perhaps something like

walking naked through areas which are not accessible to guests

or

walking naked through public areas

Presumably “walking naked” in their own private space would be Ok.

3 Likes

yes, walking thru public spaces. making other gusts uncomfortable was told to me later that morning - the guest heard noise all night and was concerned that if he left his room he would find himself at a party, while my rules state ‘this is a quiet place’.

Ah, if there were other guests there who were made uncomfortable by these people walking naked through public spaces, then you could mention it. How about:

Ian and his friend broke several house rules, including ‘no partying’, and going into my private spaces without my consent.

The house rules violations included: walking naked through the public areas of the house, staining my bedding and floors with spilled liquids, and noisily carousing in and outside of my home. This behavior made other guests uncomfortable. I also received a phone call from the neighbors at 6 am to complain about this behavior. Their stay culminated in a warning from the local police. I cannot recommend this couple to other hosts.

do you think the first line should be what is currently the last:

I cannot recommend Ian to other hosts.

Ian and his friend broke several house rules, including ‘no partying’, and going into my private spaces without my consent.

The house rules violations included: walking naked through the public areas of the house, staining my bedding and floors with spilled liquids, and noisily carousing in and outside of my home. This behavior made other guests uncomfortable. I also received a phone call from the neighbors at 6 am to complain about this behavior. Their stay culminated in a warning from the local police.

2 Likes

I think either way is fine. The only negative review I’ve written puts that sentence (or something close to it) at the end of the review, but I don’t think it makes much difference either way. If anyone else rents to these people, they’re nuts.

1 Like

Hi Rolf
I have experienced similar experiences several times. I have a new house rule. “Guests who have discovered to been using drugs or alcohol on premises without host permission incur a $50 fine.” Along with “No drugs (including pot) or alcohol. Guests may not bring, store or use drugs or alcohol on site.” Will it cut your listings? Definitely. But my old rules of “Light drinking” allowed or “Light drinking okay” but “No inebriation” or NO intoxication is easily mistaken. Then again, guests never read listings, right? So…you can either ask them directly about it while they book in advance…or just pray it doesn’t happen again.

1 Like

Glad to know air took care of you. @faheem’s suggestions are good ones - but either way, hosts are going to get the message!! Yikes!

Lol, was your other guest concerned he could not control himself?

Just a Q, is there a reason you didn’t put a stop to the party earlier? Might be an idea to be a bit more assertive at the beginning of such a gathering & reduce risk to your relations with your neighbours.

Review, I think it’s fine & the suggestions too but if you didn’t actual get a warning from police leave it out as you would be lying & might get into trouble. Your posts suggests you didn’t actually get one, rather a neighbour threatened to call police.

3 Likes

good points all.

I am always torn between draconian rule enforcing and retribution. For example, I say specifically no food or drinks in the bedroom, but I see people leaving empty water bottles and candy wrappers in the bedroom garbage cans, so I am ok with that, altho they are breaking rules, on that level. So, when I saw on my outside camera that they were going in and out, I did not think that it would be representing something as bad as what was eventually seen.

I awoke at 6am from a phone call from my neighbor, who told me that the guests were sitting on my porch loudly carrying on. Surprised, I flipped thru my Nest cam and saw swaying, stumbling bodies, and fully naked people. In and out of my entry every 20 minutes or so, drinking out of cups and one time out of an open bottle of vodka. At that time I texted them to meet me in my entryway. The girl was passed out apparently and the man could hardly stand straight.

Really pretty cool of the neighbor to call you first, and not the cops. Maybe a nice flowers, chocolate, cookies, or all-of-the-above with a note of apology and thanks are in order!

3 Likes

Slightly confused do you live on the premises or not?

When they turned up with the large vodka did you not say anything to reinforce your house rules?

Definitely gifts, card and an apology to your neighbour and also to the other poor guest who had to put up with their behaviour

It is a 2 family house and i live in one and have rooms in the other. They arrived with backpacks. Apparently the vodka and juice was in the backpacks - and i do not inspect them lol.

They apparently put it in the fridge. I have a camera overlooking the entrance to the house but nothing seeing into the kitchen.

Ah okay - its just you mentioned the vodka so I wrongly assumed you knew they had it :slight_smile:

Does a two family home mean the homes are next to each other?

Yes, i found out about the vodka from my neighbor who saw that they brought it out to my front porch and sat there drinking it.

It is a 2 family and is connected, my front door is 6 feet from the other houses’ front door.

I published the review. The one that the guest wrote was sent to me but is not on my listing.

The guest made assertions and untruths, and discussed his interaction with airbnb, which is a violation of the TOS.

His private feedback to me:

““learn the rules. customer service said you should have cancelled and im getting a full refund. cheers.””

Happily, his bad review is now there for other hosts to see, and he will suffer the truth. Thank you all for the help.

1 Like

My advice is to keep it absolutely minimal. Air has hidden the guest’s review and may well hide yours if it says too much. I would say something along the lines of.

“I cannot recommend Ian as a guest. Due to breaking several house rules, I requested he leave early. Airbnb has subsequently removed his review.”

By saying Air has removed his review it tells future hosts he can be nasty or unreasonable in reviews. That is something hosts would want to know.

1 Like

I do think you should mention the excess all night noise and drinking which disturbed other guests and your neighbours.

If your home is only 6 ft away - your family must be heavy sleepers :slight_smile:

I already posted the review… and fyi i was out for some of the evening, and yes we are well insulated…

So I’m guessing he’s not sorry then! Pity but who will host him now? Unfortunately when he realizes this, he’ll just set up a new profile. Why did he get a refund??? What a jerk