Dust underneath the rug!

i just recently got criticized by a guest who rolled up a rug in the living room in order to excercise and there was dust underneath!!!

Couldnā€™t we just sweep it under the carpet :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

@Alison_Dodd Dear lord! Ridiculous! What did you say in response and did she expect money off for that?

The horror!

I guess I am in the minorityā€¦ any rug that a guest could move, I roll up and clean the floor underneath between each guest. The rugs that canā€™t move moved completely, I roll the edges into the center and vacuum the portion of the floor that you can get to.

Even before AirBNB, I would do the same, just no where near as frequently.

3 Likes

Based on my experiences - I think some people are just looking for something to complain about - no matter how perfect their stay is. I recently posted two topics on this very thing - one about people giving me glowing reviews and all five stars - but then giving me four stars for overall experience. Then people saying in private review that the living room and kitchen can be cleaner - which they donā€™t even get to fully utilize.

I had people gushing about how wonderful my place is, they stayed an extra day. Four stars due to dust. Iā€™ve updated my listing promising dust as I live on a dirt road.

2 Likes

Dust in the wind :notes: All we are is dust in the wind :notes:
Singing out loud, some people just donā€™t get the poetry in life!

7 Likes

thanks everyone.i love the idea of promising dust! i feel better.
i clean most everyting after every guest. but not always under the rugs and under the couch pillows. etc
this woman complained about alot of things. and i usually get great reviews,
there was too much stuff in the house. the toilet was too close to the wall. on and on!

I had guests who complained that dust fell during their stay even though it was clean and dustless when they arrived.

Sometimes I think that we should be able to see the reviews that our potential guests have left for other hosts. This way we can gauge if they are just a complainer (DECLINE).

1 Like

I have an old cottage in rural Ireland and the inglenook fireplace is the original (c1900) and I have had a guest complain of dust in the fireplace! I felt like saying she would be a bit dusty if she was around since 1900 but obviously I just gave a polite short response.

1 Like

Did she also complain that the firewood generated smoke and soot??

Thereā€™s an app for that! Itā€™s called AirReview in the Chrome store.

Now when I am looking at a potential guestā€™s profile, I see ā€œXā€™s review for Y: ā€¦ā€ under each review written by previous hosts. Itā€™s also useful for identifying positively reviewed guests who donā€™t write reviews for their hosts at all.

You can!! Install the chrome extension!!!
I can see every review the guest has left!!! Sometimes theyā€™ve all been good for problem guests so it wouldnā€™t have helped anyway but it sure is a nifty feature.

Come on fellow hosts! Itā€™s time to start Dustbnb ā€¦ we promise you dust and if you sadly donā€™t find any (but we know most guests find it easy to spot the tiniest dust mote!) we give you a 10% refund - a bit like some safari holidays do if you donā€™t see the Big Five ā€¦

I didnā€™t realize this app was available. We will definitely give it a try.

I was preparing my twin room today and this thread popped into my head and the rug was cleaned and underneath. :grinning:

Ha! Me too! I found a squashed chocolate :frowning: I do clean under it fairly regularly but itā€™s a heavy rug to move so I donā€™t do it every time. No idea how that chocolate got there. For some reason it reminded me of that story about the carpet-fitter who notices a lump under the newly laid carpet and just stamps down on it hard until it flattens. Then the owner shouts out ā€˜Have you seen our hamster?ā€™.

2 Likes

Did you clean under the carpet? And under the floorboard??