Does declining an INQUIRY actually hurt you

I think I’ve read everything in this thread, and I’m still fuzzy about whether declining an inquiry hurts the host.

Is there a solid answer to that?

Does it hurt the host to click “Decline”?

Does it hurt the host to respond by text only (no button push) to say “Not a good fit,” or something to that effect?

It’s unclear as to whether the algorithm punishes us for declining an inquiry. What is very clear is that is not necessary to decline or approve an inquiry. You only have to respond to it. So that’s what I do, unless I specifically want to pre-approve.

This is an inquiry as opposed to a request - you do have to decline or approve a request (or get the guest to withdraw the request, which is what I do).

1 Like

Thank you, @JJD. Good to know.

1 Like

Yes, me too, but you can’t prevent guests from submitting inquiries or reservation requests when they don’t have those things.

Thanks so much, J! Unfortunately in most cases they don’t tell you anything. I am not sure I want them. This is a home share.

1 Like

Totally Agree!!! you don’t pre-approval before you are sure this is a good fit. because that means they can book instantly. My listings are 5 small units in the same townhouse so i definitely can not welcome partiers period. I need people who read and agree with my house rules.

1 Like

Yes, it hurts, especially if you do it more than once. After my third response to an inquiry without a booking, I received an email from Air stating that my rankings would drop unless I put heads in bed.

I live here, so I’m picky. :wink:

1 Like

I also have a home share, and live here. I have a new listing for a wonky but wonderful basement room that is multi featured, with a dirt cheap price. I have had to turn down 8 inquiries from bottom feeders. So I switched to IB, which should screen out the nitwits. But it still doesn’t stop them. Price is the driver on this unit.

I just learned yesterday that this is one first world problem that will take care of itself.

My insurer no longer wants to handle STR’s.

1 Like

I’m sorry - that sucks. Who is your insurer? Are you looking into other options?

She is a highly competent agent. And the insurer is Lloyd’s. But in the end, I would have to agree with them. As it has been pointed out here, every guest is a risk. And they are getting worse.

Got no idea about your rates etc, but is it worth considering

Just a thought.

JF

I really liked the concept of slice, and they told me that they were working on a calendar system that would let you link your Airbnb calendar to the on-demand payments so you don’t forget or pay for guests that cancel or whatever.

The thing that you have to watch out for is whether your primary insurance is compatible (i.e. does your primary insurer completely void your policy if you use your property for STR?). Slice told me they completely replace your primary insurance for the days that you pay for the STR insurance, so you’d think the primary insurer would love that, but that’s not necessarily the case.

2 Likes

Got to be frank, Slice is way too expensive for most EU hosts. We only pay €500 for our property, two rental apartments and this comes with a PL element of €2m.

I’d be surprised if any hosts in the EU or UK pay anything close to US and Canada rates. They just seem like another world to me.

JF

Raise your price! You will get better guests!

I have a confession. I’d had a few drinks and noticed I’d gotten an inquiry from someone about a one night stay wondering if we’d waive the cleaning fee since they’d only be there one night.

I replied that I’d be happy to waive it if they were happy to sleep in the previous guests’ sheets and use their damp towels. Then I said that actually that wouldn’t work because I already had a cleaner scheduled for their check-in day.

I declined them (I have instant book) with the reason “looking for guest willing to pay listed price”. I never heard from them again. I know it was rude, but it sure felt good.

I have instant book and almost never decline anyone so it didn’t hurt me.

7 Likes

You’re invited to my next party!

2 Likes

I was a mod for a very large forum for a long time. I created a sub forum for those posting while under the influence lol.

5 Likes

That doesn’t seem fair at all. I get inquiries from people that want to stay for six months and want a quote, well if they read my listing they would see that I do not allow long-term stays so if I turn down their inquiry I get in trouble? Also people call up that just want to “spend the day“ and not spend the night like if they’re doing a photo shoot or if they’re getting ready for a wedding but they don’t want to spend the night! They think somehow I’m going to sell it cheap which I’m not.It’s a three day minimum whether or not you stay for three hours or three days

1 Like

This is a shared room in the basement. The laundry is there. It is bright and clean but it is a shared room and the ceiling is low. The people who stayed there loved it, because it is close to hospitals, friendly, and very quiet. But far from stellar.

I get this type of inquiry all the time. In the system the dates on the inquiry will be for a week (as that is the longest stay I allow) but they will ask about a month long stay or longer. My response is to approve the inquiry, with a note saying something like “I’m happy to approve your inquiry for a one week stay but will not be able to extend your stay because blah blah blah.”

So my actual answer to their question is no but Airbnb counts it as an approval rather than a decline.

2 Likes