Does deactivation cancel bookings?

I am ending my AirBnB on May 10th. The city passed ordinances and is asking for a large registration fee - $300. My dates beyond May 10th are all blocked but I’d like to deactivate altogether to avoid fee. Would like to keep the bookings I have until mid May. Will deactivation cancel existing bookings?

How is the city going to enforce the fee? Just keep the bookings and see what happens.

Snooze it, disappears from the website and your profile

2 Likes

Keep after the date blocked and take care if your upcoming reservations. Then deactivate. No worry about fee that way. $300 isnt too bad from some I have heard.

1 Like

? Thats pretty common, I paid $300 first year and $100 a year after to the county. Are you renting a whole house or shared space? Can you raise your rates enough to cover the fee over a course of a year? If you host 30 guests a year thats just $10, 60 its only $5 per stay.

RR

1 Like

RiverRockRetreat is right. $300 doesn’t seem to be out of line. Our county just passed an ordinance requiring a $450 yearly fee. This kind of fee will soon be commonplace everywhere, as counties respond to neighborhood pressure to crack down on party houses and new ways to increase revenue.

To be frank, $300 sounds like a steal for a licence! Surely you aren’t stopping simply because of that, I mean won’t future reservations make you more money in the long run?

JF

1 Like

No it’s not bad but I’m getting out of AirBnB in May so I don’t want to pay it. I want to keep my bookings up til then. I want to deactivate so the city thinks I’ve shut down now. They mailed me a screen shot of my listing so they are checking. But I don’t want it to affect existing bookings.

No I’m quitting in May for other reasons. I’d pay it no problem if I wasn’t quitting.

1 Like

Ah right, understand now.

JF

I’m quitting in May for another reason. That’s why I don’t want to pay it.

1 Like

Since they are already on to you I think you are risking a fine. Or not, I don’t know your city regs. My first thought was just honor those bookings the city probably won’t catch you. In some cities they pass laws but then don’t even have the money or manpower to enforce them at first. But you are already in their records. It’s not a risk I would take unless I was pretty sure I wouldn’t be fined.

If I snooze can booked guests still communicate with me? Thanks for help!

They said I have 30 days which will be pretty close to my shut down date. I’m just going to call and hopefully they’ll be reasonable. Thanks for help!

1 Like

Yes yes 20 characters

1 Like

Thanks! 20 characters

1 Like

Thanks I’m glad it won’t affect current bookings. I have a lot. I’m quitting for other reasons besides fee. Just don’t want to pay when I’m only doing one more month. I agree it’s not bad. I actually voted for the ordinance because it was a compromise and there was danger they’d outlaw all if the compromise didn’t win.

I’m quitting for other reasons besides fee. Just don’t want to pay when I’m only doing one more month. I agree it’s not bad. I actually voted for the ordinance because it was a compromise and there was danger they’d outlaw all if the compromise didn’t win.

I’m quitting for other reasons besides fee. Just don’t want to pay when I’m only doing one more month. But don’t want to mess up current bookings. I agree it’s not bad. I actually voted for the ordinance because it was a compromise and there was danger they’d outlaw all if the compromise didn’t win.

I’m not sure my responses are registering on the website. All glitchy on my phone. Sorry if this is a repeat.

Thanks I’m glad it won’t affect current bookings. I have a lot. I’m quitting for other reasons besides fee. Just don’t want to pay when I’m only doing one more month. I agree it’s not bad. I actually voted for the ordinance because it was a compromise and there was danger they’d outlaw all if the compromise didn’t win.