Does being an Airbnb host impact your identity?

Hi,

I am an undergraduate at Durham University researching for my dissertation. I have previously posted on this forum and received some great responses that I am very appreciative of.

Another element of my project leads me to investigate how Airbnb has an impact on identity?

Some specifics that I am interested in include:
Do you consider yourself to be an entrepreneur who is using Airbnb as a platform to market your property or do you view yourself as a worker on the platform?
How do you think Airbnb hosts are viewed by wider society?
Has being an Airbnb shaped your identity in any way?

Thanks so much if you are able to offer any insight into the above areas of interest! Please also add where you are based and if you are willing to be contacted further and perhaps engage in a deeper discussion via phone call or email! Again, any information is greatly appreciated and extremely useful, thanks so much for your cooperation!

Many Thanks,
Aashni Patel

1 Like

Hi sorry for posting again, but if anyone has any thoughts on my above inquiries I am extremely interested in finding out more so please respond to the thread!

1. Entrepreneur
  2. I don’t think most people even know what an Airbnb host is. They say “What you let strangers stay at your house?!” Regulators and government see Airbnb hosts as a flop house slumlords. Guest and people who actually use Airbnb seem to see Airbnb hosts as a normal person with a room or place to rent.
  3. Airbnb has shaped my identity in that I know I have a talent for hospitality now.
3 Likes

OK, I’ll play, though the more experienced hosts here (I’ve only 70+ stays under my belt) might be better to weigh in here. I guess we all count though.

1. Definitely an entrepreneur, or at least a professional who’s come from 30 years in the service industry.
  2. Not sure, though I tend to agree with @Mexican . I will say that my friends started out thinking I was nut’s to have strangers in my home, but now are entertaining doing it themselves, in their homes, for a variety of reasons.
  3. My identity? Not really. But I’ve become quite the expert in cleaning and linens! Lol. I have always been a great host to friends and family. Now I’m extending this to airbnb guests.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

@Mexican @yecatsr

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, both contributions are greatly appreciated and really useful!

1 Like

Neither. I am doing little more than selling a commodity that I own and using Airbnb as a broker.

It’s all over the map, but I’d wager that wider society (more than 50% of the earth’s population) doesn’t even know what an Airbnb host is.

None that I can think of.

2 Likes

It’s a business. Does not effect my identity more than any job. I rent a duplex that is separate from my home. I’m in real estate and used to work in hotels. Nothing unusual about it. Just a good platform for income.

2 Likes

Hi @Brian_R170 and @Jason.D.Burk,

Thank you both so much for taking the time to respond, you contributions are greatly appreciated!