Does anyone provided laundry detergent?

does anyone provide detergent for guest use. I have washer & dryer sets in my properties but was thinking if it makes it easier for guests and if they appreciate that, and if you do , what Do you provide ?

Yes I do but charge 5.00 total to wash and dry a load. I also have oxyclean and fabric softener.
The guests only use the washer pods.

No, I lock it up. I have mostly one and two nighters and they do not need to wash clothes, and for those who stay longer or need to use machine they buy their own. If I leave it out they use it. I do not think anyone expects laundry detergent to be provided.

When I am finished building my guesthouse and another bathroom for glamping guests I will have 3 sets of washers and dryers on the property if I was supplying soap all 3 will be getting used all the time. No thanks.

RR

1 Like

What about your dishwashers? You leave pods for them? Is that any different?

Different hosting styles, different location, ā€¦
I leave detergent out because what is good one without the other?

I also do because I travel on occasion and I would probably nag about in the review if your washer is a listed amenity and there is detergent missing.

1 Like

I provided everything and it is not abused. I usually have long terms and they wash their own bedding. Time saver.

I provide laundry detergent, chlorine bleach, stain pre-treat, liquid fabric softener, and dryer sheets. My reservations average 5 people and 4 nights and the washing machine hardly ever gets used by guests. We use the the same machine and supplies to launder the bedding and towels. The laundry supplies that guests use are negligible in comparison.

Iā€™ve done the analysis and I know for a fact that the toilet paper my guests use costs me more than all of the laundry supplies used by guests combined, including the electricity cost to run the washer and dryer.

5 Likes

Iā€™m about the same as Brian. I provide laundry detergent, oxiclean, borax, various stain removers, and fabric softener sheets. Very few guests do laundry but I do get guests who come for a week or more for work and they sometimes do laundry and appreciate the supplies. No one has yet abused the machines or used too many supplies.

1 Like

Ah yes, the metrics of TP.

Most of the time people are civil about Kleenex, paper towels, and toilet paper. But there are addicts everywhere.

We have guests that go through a roll a day. And these are big fat double roll premium brands. I swear they are eating them. So when you have a couple of TP bingers clogging up the toilet or wastebasket I stack them 6 deep.

I tried the industrial brands and they really arenā€™t bad, but they canā€™t compete with 24 roll offers at Wal-Mart or Costco. So thereā€™s a hole in a wall stocked with a 4-6 month supply.

2 Likes

I also provide laundry detergent, oxiclean, and fabric softener. Some of my one night stays are between camping sites and use the washer and dryer. One guy who stayed 13 times for 3 or 4 days a week would arrive with his laundry (didnā€™t have a washer at home.) He was a contractor on a short term project.
Most people donā€™t use the laundry room but seem to appreciate that it is available if needed. I have never felt like it was abused.

2 Likes

I leave stain remover and liquid detergent. I also leave all the cleaning supplies and hide the extra toilet paper in the very back of the cupboard where they have to get on their hands and knees to see it.

The amount of toilet paper usage is shocking though. I donā€™t understand how two people need more than 2 rolls over a three day period.

Hmmm, this probably comes under the heading of TMIā€¦but 2 rolls for 3 days wouldnā€™t do for my husband and me. Perhaps you have been blessed not to have GI issues of any sort but we both have had at times and so that amount quite possibly wouldnā€™t be adequate for us.

His son has Crohnā€™s disease and my son has serious GI issues too. So I think you are assuming your guests have have healthy digestive systems if you think 2 rolls for 2 people for 3 days is going to be adequate.

Quite frankly, I would rather have a few rolls taken by guests than to have a guest who was caught short by an inadequate supply.

3 Likes

Yes, I provide laundry detergent at no added expenses. I think itā€™s appreciated. I donā€™t buy expensive detergent. I wait for a good sale or buy at the dollar store.

I provide a ;ā€˜laundry packā€™ in a ziplock bag. Our laundry facilities are shared so in the bag I leave one sachet of Tide (or whatever is cheapest when I shop - sometimes a couple of pods) and eight quarters (enough for one wash and one dry). I also let the guests know that we have an outdoor washing line (which is at the back of the building so they arenā€™t aware of it) and that if they need pegs to ask me.

Each laundry pack usually just stays in the apartments for months. Hardly anyone does laundry.

I read somewhere that dryer sheets are the work of the devil environmentally-speaking so if guests want them, they buy their own.

1 Like

Yep they can help themselves to the same detergent and conditioner I use included with the ā€œfull access to kitchenā€. No problems, and the washing machine is very rarely used by guests anyway.

I have a W/D in the guest house and advise the guests that it is really for their personal use. I provide some pods and the devils dryer sheets*. Iā€™d say fewer than 10% of the guests have used it; But whether itā€™s used or not, I think its appreciated as a perk, and one less item that they donā€™t have to purchase, should they want to do a load of laundry.

Iā€™ve read the same recently and in addition that they arenā€™t not good for your clothes, so Iā€™ve started to cut back and use them intermittently. ā€¦ Costco Bulk means Iā€™m going for a while before I can cold turkey it.

Iā€™ve also heard that they are very good for dusting - especially things like TV screen or computer monitors that might be subject to static.

3 Likes

I advertise the ventless washer/dryer in my listing, so I leave a limited number of pods with instructions not to use any other type of detergent ā€“ the machine requires HE detergent.

My front load washer requires HE detergent and Iā€™m allergic to perfumes so I have a bag of unscented detergent pods and ask guests to use them, and to NOT use fabric softener sheets in the dryer.

My stackable ASKO washer and dryer have been great when the upstairs was a 2 BR apartment, and worked well last year for the occasional guest that needed to wash clothes. I use them when Iā€™m only turning one room around, but most of my linens go to my grandmotherā€™s 1968 Maytag washer & dryer in the basement (the kind where the repairman never gets called, they are real workhorses!).

Unfortunately, the switch panel on the dryer seems to have failed yesterday. And my go-to online appliance parts supplier can no longer carry ASKO parts. Is there anyone here from Sweden who might be able to find & mail me ASKO parts?

When my wife and I purchased a vacation condo two years years ago, it was used as an Airbnb-style vacation rental.

The previous condo owners did not provided their weekend renters with dishwashing machine soap and laundry machine soap. But they did have plastic bottles of Dawn liquid soap for washing dishes by hand, which the weekend condo renters used in the laundry and dishwashing machines.

We had to pay a plumber to unclog both machines from the built-up liquid dish soap used.

So, donā€™t skimp on providing the proper laundry and dishwashing machine soaps. Or, you will end-up paying far more for a plumber to fix them later.

3 Likes

Youā€™re absolutely correct, I didnā€™t even think of people with GI issues!