Do you provide toothbrush kits for your guests?

We offer individually wrapped toothbrushes, little tubes of toothpaste, lotion, face soap, shampoo, conditioner, small first aid kits. But the thing that is usually used and taken is sunscreen. Florida will do that to you. For our guests who stay over two weeks and spend a lot we leave a gift. Lately it’s been two reusable water bottles so they can refill from our filtered water dispenser or the thermos on the courts or courses for the active folks.

I’ve never provided toothbrushes and have never been asked for one. I do, however, provide toothpaste, soaps and toiletries. Soaps provided are large (not individual) size. I suppose it’s ultimately up to your market and the type of guest you’re serving.

I do offer a snack basket in the kitchen or near the front door as a ‘surprise and delight’ courtesy. Guests leave friendly reviews about this.

I provide toothbrushes and toothpaste for my guests. I also provide mouthwash, and try to provide antibacterial soap.

I provide individually wrapped toothbrushes and small toothpastes. The toothpastes are often used, the toothbrushes not so much.

We leave a ‘just in case’ drawer that includes toothpaste (small size) and a toothbrush. For my guests, who are almost 100% business, this is a rarely used accommodation but at one time I had a weekly guest who opened a new small toothpaste, a new brush, and one small shaving cream; I suggested that we provide a full size version of them and store for him. It was gladly accepted.

2 Likes

This thread started in 2018

1 Like

That’s awesome! We leave a bunch of stuff in the medicine cabinet, in the same way. It’s not always used but it seems always appreciated.

Over the years, we’ve had fun being creative with it. We now give bamboo toothbrushes and the little tubes of Italian toothpaste, Marvis. Putting together the amenities is the most fun part of it for me.

And we have done the same for returning regulars, full size set aside for their stay. I like being able to customize the stay in that way.

I’d love to hear more about what everyone provides for their guests. I know it’s an old thread but it’s no less relevant.

1 Like

dental floss
cotton swabs
sewing kit
emery boards
eyeglass repair kit (magnifying glass, tiny screwdriver, tiny screws)
scrunchie

1 Like

We have all of that except the scrunchie. I haven’t done a scrunchie. I like it! Does it have it’s own tag or whatnot? Or do you buy a bunch of them and just leave an obviously clean/unused one? (you do mean the hair thing, right? or do you mean shower scrubbie? We do the shower scrubbies but I like the idea of a hair tie.)

I highly recommend the tiny chapsticks, they are the most popular by far.

I put them into sandwich bags.

Good idea on the chapsticks!!!

1 Like

I had to search for the tiny lip balm. Never heard of it. What a great idea. Now I have spf 15 lip balm on delivery.

1 Like

I also love stocking the “if you need it” tray! I have sunscreen, tissues, deodorant, toothbrushes and toothpaste, razors and shaving cream, mouthwash, and a few other things I can’t quite remember. All from the Dollar Tree. I hadn’t thought of lip balm - great idea! And…just ordered some :slight_smile:

I used to provide more things but with covid I stopped.

Right now, there’s a new razor and new toothbrush. Large containers of shaving cream, lotion, soap and shampoo. I have n95 masks in packages, 1 per guest. I’ve gone to a touchless refillable rechargeable hand soap dispenser. I leave 2-3 q-tips and remove the unused ones to my part of the house and put fresh ones each day. But they aren’t wrapped or packaged, they are just in a tray. I leave a mesh scrubbie with tag attached, and it is only used by one guest out of 20. But when I run through my supply I’m not going to buy more. There are also paper towels and cleaning supplies including Clorox wipes.

The pandemic doesn’t look to be ending anytime soon so what I supply is going to be modest.

Edit to add: I’ve just ordered a small HEPA air cleaner for the Airbnb room. I don’t know how much effect it will have on actual virus but it sends the message that the room is clean and sanitary. I don’t like to use any scents in there and hope this will help reduce the scents that guests use. Like the individually wrapped TP I buy, I think the subliminal messaging can make a difference.

Here’s my rundown: Bamboo toothbrushes, toothpaste, small tissue pack, razor, menstrual supplies, shaving foam, condoms, bandaids, antibiotic ointment, anti-itch ointment, antacids, Q-tip swabs, sore throat lozenges, surgical masks. Also the fizzy vitamin C “immunity” powder packets you put in a glass of water, with the snack items.

The most used are the toothbrushes, toothpaste, and razors. I’ve found that having an abundance of items for which you’d have to trek to an overpriced hotel lobby shop is a low-cost way to get good rating comments. Most of the guests don’t use most of the supplies. But it makes a great impression of thoughtfulness and hospitality.

1 Like

You’ve got more shit in your listing than we have at home!

They get shampoo, shower gel and directions to the local shop for anything else here.

JF

3 Likes

I’ve tried to work out the math of how much cheaper I could live in Airbnbs than owning my own home.

1 Like

I imagine it’s more or less off the table now due to Covid, but I once read an article about how there are a whole contingent of retired people who have figured out that it’s financially advantageous to simply live on cruise ships rather than maintain their own home, buy food, etc.

For one inclusive price they get all their meals, entertainment, gyms to work out in, pools to swim in, and no house to keep clean and maintained. Plus they get to travel to new places.

Cruise ships creep me out for some reason, and that was pre-Covid.

Obviously I’d need to be able to drive from place to place. Also it doesn’t consider my home based business income. But if I weren’t doing that and wanted to downsize, I’d definitely consider spending some time on the road before settling down again, health permitting.

Same here- the thought of booking a cruise is entirely unappealing to me.

My daughter went on one with her husband and in-laws back in her late 20s. She hated it and said you couldn’t pay her to ever do it again. Although her husband, who was simply her boyfriend at the time, clandestinely bought her a ring on one of the stops in the Carribean and proposed to her. :couple_with_heart_woman_man: That was thhe only good part.

Obviously post Brexit things are different, but previously it was common for retired folks from the UK to live in Spain for the winter months, mainly on the Costa del Sol and the Costa Brava.

The hotels, who were usually either closed or empty during the winter months, gave them decent monthly rates and provided simple, basic food, three times a day.

I know several parents of friends who did this, but now it’s restricted to ninety days maximum, whereas before they used to come from the beginning of November through to the end of March.

So many ramifications from the xenophobic inhabitants of middle England voting for Brexit.

JF

1 Like