Do you provide toothbrush kits for your guests?

I don’t provide as our price points doesn’t justify the extra costs, given we are in a competitive area. I also try not to provide anything consumable as I’m scared of liability issues associated with food contamination. I hate to provide shampoo and soap even, for fear of guests with sensitive skin , but I surmise most guests will minimally expect shampoo and soap, so I have no choice but to provide them anyway. I hv STR personal liability insurance.

1 Like

We suggest that you offer a one-time use toothbrush and toothpaste for each of your guests. Your guests will appreciate it - ultimately it is all about the detail. Even if your guests do not use it, the fact that you went to the effort will leave a positive impression on guests.

I found brand name toothbrushes at a dollar store. Take a look around while you are there and you’ll find all kinds of nice amenities like make up remover wipes, sleep eye masks, etc. Grocery Outlet has been good for shower supplies.

I would think it’s on them to know if they have sensitive skin. Of course anyone can have a reaction to anything but we provide dollar store brand shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. I think most of the homes I’ve stayed in have been the same way.

Yep, the dollar store is great for single-guest items.

One of my favorites is 8 shower caps for $1US.

1 Like

I have a GF who is sensitive to bleached linens so she brings her own pillow. You’ve got to count on people being able to care for themselves. Food is one thing - you can’t know what all is in a home-baked cookie or muffin but you can read the label on bottle of soap or shampoo.

1 Like

amen. we throw away too much stuff. we’ve become a disposable society.

2 Likes

I’M with you on the plastic waste. one company makes makes eco-friendly toothbrushes…decompose. too expensive. when will companies get with it and charge less?

and no bottled water in my home. that’s the one thing that kills me

You gotta be careful putting out medicine. I take blood pressure medicine and can’t ever remember what pain medications I can take. I ask my wife. I would not put out medicines because someone like me might take the wrong one, get sick, and complain.

Thank you for voicing a concern.

For clarity-I don’t put out medicines.

The tablets are In a basket in the linen closet & are dollar store blister packs containing very few pills. The pills are individually packaged and labeled. The guest must make the effort to select what they need, open it and take it.

Antacids and anti-diarrheal medicines in small doses (only 4-12 pills in a package so can’t take a large dose) have few side effects unlike cold medicines that can trigger an increase in blood pressure.

Perhaps my use of the word medicine was a little strong. I couldn’t think of a more appropriate term, drugs would sound worse, etc. As far as the heart-burn pills, my wife would appreciate them. I rarely use pain pills, but my wife says I am THE PAIN that gives her the heartburn.

2 Likes

I stopped with the extras when a 3 night guest cleaned me out - at $19 a night. My extras are edible, and a lot less likely to be taken for granted.

If I were in the Egyptian sheets/mimosas for breakfast crowd @ $600 a night I might consider. But that set are usually experienced travellers.

All our baths are shared so I supply toothpaste in each. Other than vital medication, a toothbrush is the think I most regret forgetting when traveling. I usually discover this after I’m in my pajamas. I buy toothbrushes for a dollar or less and put them in a drawer with sewing and first aid supplies. In seven years, I have only had one guest empty this little basket of amenities. The toothbrushes get taken about once for every dozen guests and are greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I have provided small wash puffs for body wash and even small soaps. Ive also told them when they arrive I do have extra toothbrushes if they forgot (dollar store- 5 for a buck ). I also give them a bottle of water- why? because its what Id want for a little extra touch and it doesnt cost me hardly a thing.

I couldn’t read all the messages, but I did read the main ones. I realized that each of you has equipped the bathroom differently. But I have not seen such toothbrushes as mine. I bought toothbrushes, like in dentistry toilets - which are already pre-smeared with toothpaste. Yes, they will not clean their teeth like a toothbrush with toothpaste, but if a person has forgotten their appliances, then this is better than touching a tube of toothpaste that someone else touched (especially now during a pandemic).

I bought 4 boxes of 100 for 45 bucks six months ago and they still haven’t run out. But I also have a sanitizer for electric toothbrushes, because some people use them to clean their teeth. In addition to dental supplies, there is a disposable set of cotton swabs, cotton swabs, a disposable razor, a disposable pack of shaving gel, and aftershave lotion.

Although I wouldn’t leave a used tube of toothpaste for guests, it’s because people touch their toothbrushes to the product itself.

I have a basket of other products, though, that have been left behind by guests, that guests can help themselves to.

No one would be in danger by touching something someone else touched, because those product containers are sterilized between guests. Long before Covid.

Toothbrushes are a nice amenity. I supply toothbrush, paste and dental floss . I either do the recycled plastic ones from Target $. 99 for two or the bamboo from Amazon ( $1) each, it depends whose staying, families usually get the recycled ,younger individuals get the bamboo, most are taken. I just traveled with a family member who forgot, it happens.

I haven not yet had any guests ask for such additional items, but I do like the idea of the “concierge basket” someone mentioned earlier. Would it be out of line to have a note asking guests to leave a couple dollars/pounds/etc if they take something from the basket? Though it might not always break even, this could offset the costs if offering more expensive items than just cheap toothbrushes (a selection of single-use shampoos or various soaps or a robe that guests may not want to have shared or whatnot).

One host mantra is “Promise less and deliver more”. Providing a few things you don’t mention in your ad, so guests didn’t expect, tends to lead to good reviews.

If you need to raise your price a buck or two a night to cover these things, that won’t affect bookings, and is preferable to asking guests to pay that buck or two if they need a bar of soap or some shampoo. Which makes the host look cheap.

As far as individual size shampoos and such, they are environmentally unsound, and many hosts refuse to add to the waste stream in that way. Refillable pump containers are what I and many other hosts use, which is not only respectful of the environment, but economically sound. You can find large bulk containers of liquid soap, shampoo, etc, and top up the pump containers between guests, just making sure the outsides are cleaned and sterilized.

4 Likes