Do most hosts have toilet plungers in their listing?

Oh, and I have tried! With the plumbing fixes needed in the last fifteen years, let’s just say I could have put on two new roofs! (Never would have purchased this money pit with prior knowledge of the issues that all my neighbors have also suffered through). sigh.

I have a night off and you just had me running to grab my RootX (rather, the generic brand I’ve been using) to flush and set overnight!

Sounds like the pipes need digging up and replacing. There are points at which it should be the responsibility of the sewage company. Not sure about law in the states.

Sadly, I can tell you. You are responsible for your pipes until they reach the “city” outlet (wrong terminology, I’m sure). Which in the case of our 1963-1965 cul de sac, is very far. Who knew? I was told it was approximately (don’t quote me here) but 30 yards, which is really unacceptable. The root-rooter types are double for camera and extensions of this length. Oh well. Yay for RootX and the kind, they’ve saved me! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
EDIT:
It’s now a no flush zone here tonight! Let the nasty RootX work it’s wonders :nose:

Yes that’s a long way from the house, so you don’t get much for your sewerage bill. In the UK it’s just about where the pipes join a shared area after private gardens. I think the bill is about £500 a year for (drinking) water and sewerage.

How very familiar I am with that stuff! We have the same problem. They’ve done the camera thing (a sort of drain colonoscopy)!) and roots are a problem here too. On the property. Not the city’s problem. They say…

This is a funny thread, but it’s true…European toilets don’t clog like American toilets. I lived many years in a few countries in Europe and recall a Swiss friend explaining how European toilets work with gravity.

We have plungers in each of our rentals. Like someone said…no way I’m going and plunging somebody else’s business. Nope nope nope nope.

American toilets are called symphonic and have a smaller waste pipe, which makes them prone to clogging, though they are supposedly cleaner.

European toilets are called gravity toilets and that’s why they make a very loud gush noise when flushing.

Fun fact: There are toilets in the US called “noiseless” or "silent flush’ and you literally cannot hear them flush, even when standing right next to it. Have not seen one of these in a private home for many years and they are supposedly exorbitantly expensive, but could not find any demonstrations of a real one online. We do have silent close lids though.

Tip: A plumber in the states told me that Toto toilets are less prone to clogging…

3 Likes

So I was just talking to a home inspector about a million things, but brought up RootX and my plumbing problems. I haven’t had time to google it yet, but he was saying that some folks have DIY rigged up a can of RootX with a sprinkler head of sorts, and place it up-side-down in their toilet tanks. (??) Not sure how this works as the stuff really seems to clump, but bottom line is, he says they get a dose of RootX in their pipes with every flush.

Sounds too good to be true. And I don’t know all that’s to be known about the environmental implications of this (miracle, IMO) product and daily flushing of it…

2 Likes

!! Never heard of this product…but have definitely paid a LOT of money to have the high-pressure flush of the main sewer line to cut the roots invading it!! Going to order some rn!

1 Like

I would choose the no clog toilet every time. I don’t notice particular problems with skid marks or smells, but a bathroom should be well ventilated for other reasons anyway.

I used to have to get the Long Arm of the special rooter team out here about every six months OR ELSE. This product has saved me from this expense for about four years now. But I’m still always crossing fingers! Good luck!

1 Like

I have no problems with clogging toilets! I am talking about root ridden pipes–running way far off from my parcel of land–that I’m none the less responsible for maintaining. I could have the best toilet on the planet and just plain old water running through these pipes (as in no human waste) and still have a severe back up of sewage into the home.

Yes I remember. There’s no civic responsibility for sewage pipes. Therefore the American problem is twofold.

1 Like

I have one in each rental home but not on the pic. When you take the pics, definitely move all those away.

Yes, definitely out of the photos. That’s one of my bugaboos…Listing photos with toilet plungers, air freshener, open toilets, bottles of toilet cleaner and so on.

We all know what toilets are for, but keep a little mystery in the photos.

BTW, I saw one listing recently with a bathroom photo in which you could see, if you looked very carefully, pee and toilet paper in the toilet. Seriously.

One of the reviews mentioned that you needed to use a wrench to turn on the shower. Come on, now.

If you have roots growing into your sewer pipes and you kill those roots, now you just have holes in your sewer pipes, leading to sewage being dumping into your yard and into your water table. Not a good idea. Better to just fix the pipes and moved the plants with intrusive root systems!

Yes I agree that’s what would happen in the UK. However I think in their situation there is so much of the public sewer not covered by the water company, the cost would be sky high to fix.

When I had the plumber here for the blockage two years ago they told me the pipe from my house to the street was clay and could break/be invaded by roots, etc. There is a fix that they recommend that would line the pipe with an epoxy liner. If I wait until the line has to be dug up it will be much more expensive. Their estimate for this was $6000+. I’m opting to take my chances given the lack of tree roots in my area. If I saw that a neighbor had to have it done that would make me nervous. I’ve never heard of a single person having to have it done.

1 Like

@LetsShareThoughts I have to thank you for providing me with reading matter that I never knew I wanted! That article is absolutely fascinating and explains the puzzling (to me anyway) title of this thread. Got to admit I’m grateful to be living in a washdown country!

2 Likes

Heck, I am a little baffled by your question. I don’t understand why anyone would need advice on where to put a plunger. Unless the toilet area is so tiny that it wouldn’t fit, why would anyone put a plunger anywhere but right next to the toilet (next to the tank). And, not knowing the layout of your bathroom, how can anyone give you advice on where to put it? When there is an emergency, you need to be able to grab it and use it. Why in the world would you make your guest ask you where the plunger is? As a guest I would be embarrassed if I had to ask for a plunger, and irritated if I had to text the host and wait around for an answer!

Also, I would never put a used one in a rental. A nice clean new one is mandatory in my opinion. And (if people are worried about the “ick” factor) if it is stored anywhere but right next to the toilet, the person using it will have to carry it back to wherever it is stored (carrying and possibly dripping germs along the way). When the bathroom is cleaned and sanitized after every guest, the plunger should be part of that cleaning.

Ummm, see “Jaquo’s” comments near the top of this post (a moderator): “For the sake of the comfort and peace of mind of your guests, have a plunger somewhere nearby. Even if it’s used only once in ten years.”

1 Like

Another bathroom essential that hosts often forget is air freshener. Just like a plunger, something as basic as air freshener can save your guests a lot of embarrassment…