Do I mention that there is no TV in the summary?

How do you know this?

The tv is not in the bedroom but in a separate area accessible to the guests. We are present so weā€™d know if they turned on or watched the tv. Itā€™s also where we serve their breakfast.

I think it depends on where the listing is and what type of guests you have.

I wanted to offer a space that people could enjoy together on their vacation. I feel like people are drawn toward turning on the TV if itā€™s in a room and preferred to offer board games, a sound system, and a well-stocked bookshelf. Perhaps thatā€™s imposing too much of my own ethos on another personā€™s vacation, but part of the charm of Airbnb is that each of us can host in our own way.

Far more guests have mentioned how nice it felt to get away from TV than those who asked about it. The couple times itā€™s come up it was to watch a game broadcast on cable, which I definitely wouldnā€™t find value in offering.

Instead of

Thereā€™s Wi-Fi, but no TV and shower but no tub.

how about

Our guest room has Wi-Fi, but does not have a TV. And our bathroom has a shower, but does not have a tub.

A few extra words, but it makes it impossible to misunderstand your meaning. I once had a professor tell the class (that I was in), that there was no reason to ration words. Which was good advice, I think. Maybe if one had to send a telegram. But fortunately on the net one does not have to pay per word.

1 Like

True! We generally have short stays so itā€™s not so important. Most of the Airbnbā€™s we have stayed at have no tv in the bedroom. I believe itā€™s bad feng shui to have tv in the bedroom and donā€™t have one in our bedroom either. Weā€™ve stayed at some very upscale resorts over the years and many actually tout the the fact that there are no TVs in the rooms.
The Meridian club,
Telephone, TV

In order to provide you with the most relaxing, authentic Caribbean experience, these items are not included in your room. Guests come to The Meridian Club to enjoy freedom from the noise and disruption they can generate. A telephone is available in the office for emergency use. Cell phone use is prohibited on Club property, including the beach, so as not to disturb others. If it is necessary to make a call on your cell phone, it can be done off the Club grounds and away from other people (eg. near the tennis court). Many guests keep their cell phones in their room safe throughout their stay.

ā€œ4*edā€? I like that much better than the other word I was thinkingā€¦ :grin:

1 Like

If you are marketing as an unplug destination that is fine. But generally most discussion has been that people donā€™t need / want one. Which I feel is an incorrect generalization. If a US destination. 96.5% of US households own a TV set.

2 Likes

I guess I am differentiating between one in the bedroom and one on the premises. Still, more and more people are using their iPads, phones, laptops for this. WiFi yes, but investing in Cable is unnecessarily expensive. I still think it wonā€™t affect opā€™s bookings but they should say no tv available

Thereā€™s no need to be appealling about it and no need to apologise for it.

Advertising on Airbnb is very different to just about every other form of advertising. We have to be scrupulously honest about our listings or otherwise weā€™re marked down for accuracy. For example, my neighbours claim that we are ā€˜a 15 minute stroll from the beachā€™. Itā€™s actually a 45 minute ā€˜strollā€™ but can be done in 25 minutes if youā€™re jogging or marching. On most forms of advertising saying itā€™s a 15 minute stroll is misleading, but would have no real consequences. Say that on an Airbnb listing though and youā€™re being inaccurate and even, to some, deceptive. So guests will start to look for other ways in which your listing is also inaccurate or deceptive and before you know where you are you get one star for accuracy.

TV isnā€™t terribly important to most of our guests. I know this because before they arrive I set the channel to a jazz music-only channel and quite often it hasnā€™t been changed during the stay. But I did have a guest earlier this year who specifically asked about certain channels.

I had an inquiry recently and the guest wanted to know if thereā€™s a TV in the bedroom. I replied that there isnā€™t but the great thing about the apartment layout is that double doors open from the bedroom into the lounge and guests can lay in bed watching the huge screen lounge TV. They didnā€™t book.

If this was my place I would just put a cheap one in so it wasnā€™t an issue, but Iā€™m co hosting for someone. Itā€™s her own house and she doesnā€™t want a TV. Iā€™ve already put my spare microwave in her kitchen after a guest mentioned that.
The fact that there is no TV is now mentioned in 4 places. Hopefully potential guests see at least one of them

I look after a rental for a neighbour and until this year, he had no internet. I always confirmed with inquirers that they realised that was the case. Iā€™d rather have them not book than book and leave a bad review and one star ratings.

Thatā€™s a good idea. I might start doing that

1 Like

Maybe put it in the limitations section, as someone else noted. Two lines:
No TV provided.
Great shower but no tub available.
(?)

I would never complain but have a few bubble baths a week and always like to have one when travelling. Thus, I always look for listings with a bath tub and appreciate when itā€™s obvious in the listing so I donā€™t need to ask or be disappointed :bath:

2 Likes

Do you know why? I often find people who arenā€™t into TV or various things impose this on others in their rentals and I find this can hold people back. Yes itā€™s her home but itā€™s designed for the rental market and a lot of people want & like a TV, which is very cheap these days for a basic model.

1 Like

No, itā€™s her real home where she usually lives. Just working over seas for 6 months and wanted to try and cover the mortgage while sheā€™s gone.

Just got a message from the guests who asked me where the TV was saying they will stay again. I havenā€™t seen the review yet, but at this stage it seems they werenā€™t too concerned.

1 Like

I like the ā€œsecurity depositā€ part.

Two soaking tubs inside + a hot tub outside.
Do you come to Charleston SC USA ?

1 Like

We have a TV in each bedroom + in the main den. Two homes. That means we have a lot of TVā€™s ā€¦and we do get a guest call when the TV satellite is off line, or for some reason they can not work the clicker to find the channels or whatever they seek.
It depends upon your target guest , and your niche, but i can honestly say that our groups expect TV and also good fast internet.
We provide both, as long as the stars align.

1 Like

In Australia we get basic digital TV for free, I think about 20 channels. I have cable though as I love documentaries, renovation shows and (Iā€™m slightly embfasssed to say) Bravoā€™s Real Housewives series, of which there is a lot more on cable :slight_smile:

2 Likes