Do hosts replenish supplies, toilet paper, toiletries for long rentals?

Both. Boxed Dove soap in a soap dish with a strainer - makes for easy clean up. Also body wash. I don’t spend much on either.

For shorter stays, they don’t get the dove, they get some paper wrapped hotel sized soap instead.

Pump/anti bacterial soft-soap by the bathroom sink.

In our area long term (month or more) rentals are the norm. I haven’t heard of any that replenish supplies. Most do provide starter packs, some of which are more generous than others. Since we do rentals as short as 3 days in the off season, our starter packs would cover guests for about a week.

Most also provide golf carts as transportation for those who fly in, and that would get the guests to all the grocery or other shopping they would need. Somehow running errands in a golf cart makes it more of an adventure.

We do provide 3 sets of sheets per bed and twice the number of sets of towels as the max occupancy of the home.

1 Like

We do the same. It seems to cut way down on usage and there have never been complaint.

A bar of soap on its own may not be antibacterial, but soap and water is. Antibacterial soap is a marketing gimmick as far as I’m concerned and there have been many medical reports saying that no one should be using it in a home environment. Like the overuse of antibiotics, it can cause bacteria to become immune and also using all this antibacterial stuff leads to increased cases of allergies and asthma. If everything around you is sterilized all the time, your immune system never has to work and you’ll be more likely to catch whatever is going around.

Of course there are times when using antibacterials is the thing to do, in a hospital setting, or if someone in the house has an infection of some kind, but if all I found in a place I was staying was antibacterial soap, I’d not use it at all, I’d go out and buy some normal soap.

Well, can you tell me exactly what “body wash” is? Because as far as I’m concerned, that’s just another marketing gimmick. The more products companies can convince you are essential, the better for them. How is it different from liquid hand soap? I use the same liquid soap to wash my hands, my body and my face and have never had any ill-effects.

I’m sure you could put the same liquid soap in a “body wash” bottle that you use to wash your hands and not one person would know the difference.

I’m not quite understanding how bar soap means that the showers/bathtubs need more cleaning than liquid soap?

As everything needs cleaning anyway, why does the type of soap affect anything?

1 Like

I found that bar soaps require a bit more effort to clean up after. It sits and congeals and it just takes longer to deal with.

RR

1 Like

I guess I’ve never known anything different. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Makes sense. I agree that might be a better policy

1 Like

[quote=“jaquo, post:27, topic:44042”]
guess I’ve never known anything different. :slight_smile:

This is an interesting artcle on soap vs body wash but does not say anything about one being easier to clean. I had read that soap had more fats and that leads to more soap ring but nothing in here about that

[/https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwitxJ7D3JjsAhXEXM0KHQtQAuYQFjAJegQIBBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mindbodygreen.com%2Farticles%2Fbar-soap-vs-body-wash-which-is-better-pros-and-cons-of-each&usg=AOvVaw31oxaOZ5YgKPaPZd8fG9HA

1 Like

Maybe it’s just me, but someone’s wet, possibly mushy, bar of soap is disgusting, even if I’m wearing gloves. So it’s liquid soaps for us. Even for our own use.

5 Likes

My longer stays are discounted, so (as I outline in my listing description and house manual), consumables such as soap, coffee and firewood are not refreshed.

As we don’t supply a washing machine, though, tea towels and towels are refreshed every 4 days and bed linen weekly, (depending on length of stay and guest preference).

No complaints from guests.

1 Like

Thank you all for the input. Just for the record; this is a separate two bed, two bath guesthouse and we supply three sets of bedding for each of the two beds, at least two each bath towels, hand towels and face clothes and there is a washer and dryer. I’m going to go with filling all the shampoo, conditioner, shower and hand soaps along with lots of toilet paper etc. and if they ask for more, they’ll get it. They are getting a % discount off regular rate but the long rental saves lots of work. We don’t supply cleaning. We never use anti-bacterial products since everything I’ve read tells me it contributes to resistant bacteria.
Again, thank you all.

3 Likes

I do. I have 6-8 towels per, cases of TP, liter size bottles of shampoo and conditioner, shower gel, etc.

Cleaning the room is up to the individual, but they inevitably prefer to do it themselves. Clean sheets are appreciated.

If we are having a BBQ, etc we extend an invite.

If we are going to a grocery store, we pick things up.

Also (and this is silly, but fun) I drop off fresh fruit, candy, etc. This is very popular if they are working long hours.

1 Like

So I just read a very interesting post on the Airbnb reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AirBnB/comments/uqqyln/airbnb_host_sent_us_new_rules_at_checkin_is_there/

jrossetti says quite reasonably and from experience:

If its not in the ad, its not enforceable. ANY and all amenity restrictions and limitations such as toilet paper and such, have to be detailed in the ad. Starter packs are only okay, if its disclosed fully in the ad. The # of hosts who list soap and TP and then try to give a starter pack without disclosing it is too damn high and those hosts need to be corrected. You can’t list the essentials for example, and then not provide them for the entire stay without putting in the ad you dont supply them for the entire stay. Ive been successful tagging refunds for this 100% of the time and teh host was coached and had to alter their ad to reflect their rules. If the host did not list this as a restriciton, and also lists toilet paper or essentials as an amenity guests have every right to be compensated for the expenses related to stocking it for their entire stay.

1 Like

I have always advised hosts who say they just got their first long-term booking and asked whether other hosts provide basics and other listed amenities for the entire stay, that that is something they should have thought about before accepting a long term booking, and put wording to that effect in their listing info. While there is nothing unreasonable about cutting down on amenities provided for a long-term stay which is likely heavily discounted, I think such things are quite unfair to guests to start talking about after they have already booked on the basis of what they read in the listing info.

If hosts want guests to read the listing info thoroughly and respect the house rules and other info they have written, and not expect amenities that weren’t listed, they can’t then expect guests to uncomplainingly accept a change in any of that after they have booked and paid.

3 Likes