Do any of you Leave guests a GIFT upon check in?

I was wondering if you hosts leave guests a GIFT upon. Check in , such as baked goods , or candy or a personalized card , I was thinking of offering something similar, what ideas do you guys have and if you can upload a picture that be great

Lots of Airbnb hosts are leaving this kind of goodies. And I would highly recommend doing this. Small things like this can have a great impact and bring you a good review. Cookies, chocolate bars, a bottle of wine, bottles of water (this one is a must I believe). Fruits can also be a great option.

I think the toiletries I leave in bathrooms are considered a gift, as they usually disappear. I have some small flasks from ā€œChilly Bottlesā€ that I keep full of water in the guest fridge. Guests are shown where they are to take to bed with them; they keep water chilled for 24 hours.

Hi @Gandyv8

I would suggest you look at goods that work for your target market and style of property?

Can you bake? if not freshly baked goods wonā€™t work for you unless you get some frozen stuff.

Chocolates, sweets and biscuits go down well.

If you offer a high end self contained beachside villa you will offer different items than a host with a budget room in a city centre in Prague.

What sort of property do you have and whatā€™s your target market.

2 Likes

If one is leaving gifts itā€™s logical, but itā€™s not a must. It would be interesting to know what percentage of hosts leave bottled water. Iā€™ve only stayed in a handful of airbnbs but none had bottled water. I did stay in a house in Costa Rica this summer that provided a starter supply bottled water, coffee, beer and wine. However it was at a price point well above the typical airbnb.

I put bottled water in the guest room which is attached to my house but separate from me. When I had them sharing my space I offered them my purified water that I refill and put in a cooler. (side story: I always said "feel free to fill your water bottles before you head out. One couple brought in an ice chest with what must have been a case of empty bottles. At first I was taken aback and a bit miffed but when they were finished I realized theyā€™d used less than a dollar of water and kept a case of bottles out of the landfill for the time being. Anywayā€¦) I dislike bottled water for environmental reasons but donā€™t know of another practical option for the guest room Iā€™ve thought of leaving resusable plastic cups or just coffee cups and a single larger container of purified water. Iā€™ve wondered if guest would just find it off putting in some way. Some people are very odd about ā€œgermsā€ and what constitutes clean and what doesnā€™t. Iā€™m wondering if leaving a reusable bottle of water will bring me any grief. I know you are in Europe where they have different ideas about these sorts of things than wasteful Americans. What has been your experience with these bottles? Edit: Iā€™m not going to buy expensive bottles as even having one walk off would be more trouble than itā€™s worth. Iā€™m interested in the reusable aspect.

2 Likes

To answer @Gandyv8ā€™s question: A bottle of water per person per night and there is a small box with hard candies they can help themselves to. In the winter I leave a good quality dark chocolate per person.

The Airnb I stayed at in Lisbon had a bright coloured bottle with a hinged cap that was filled with water in a tray with two glasses. I leave 6 bottles of water in the fridge, my water is safe to drink, but some might not trust water coming from nature-the river, they trust large underground pipes. I recycle all i can.

1 Like

Typical bottled water, not re-usables?

I sort through the guest room waste bins and fish out recyclables.

I feel the same about the environmental effect of bottled water; the cost, the waste, the plastics etc. Weā€™re luck to have potable tap water, although a guy from Berlin told us off for using tap water in the coffee machine, cheeky sod! Then we looked on-line and learned that Germans are quite happy to lug multiples of 5 litre bottles up five floors. They seem quite paranoid about chlorine being added. Thereā€™s a huge kick back in UK against restaurants pressurising customers to buy bottled water at vast expense, with many now offering jugs of iced tap water.

Iā€™ve not lost a Chilly Bottle yet, but if I did, I wouldnā€™t replace; too costly to risk again.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t offer bottled water - here you can drink tap water, so it would be wasteful to offer bottled water.

We are an eco-conscious household so everything that can gets recycled and we decant shower/bath gel and shampoo from larger bottles.

Guests are really good about using the food waste caddy and I leave a wicker basked out that they can put cardboard, plastics, cans, batteries, glass, textiles, paper etc. I then separate it when itā€™s full and put it into the recycling.

1 Like

Switched from bottled to Brita filter pitcher in the small fridge in the suite. Ugh all those plastic bottles realt bothered me, even when tossed in recycling.

2 Likes

I also leave a Brita pitcher in the apt in addition to filter refills with dates (at 3 month intervals) written in permanent marker on the outside packages so that guests see the filters are being changed regularly. Many buy bottled water anywayā€¦ We also have a $1000 whole house reverse osmosis water filtration system (that cost another $1000 to install) with triple filters but people want to buy their bottled tap water which is costing them more than what they pay for gas. Anyway, Iā€™m going off-topicā€¦

Room in my house, here. So when they arrive I offer guests a hot drink or cold tap water, depending on the season. Some guests keep the glass their whole visit, others donā€™t.

I have been leaving one (big) chocolate bar on the bed, for guests who stay more than one night.

(I do remove the price tag before I place it)

Our neighborhood has the largest Greek speaking population outside Greece, so this makes a good souvenir even if guests arenā€™t fond of chocolate.

3 Likes

I donā€™t offer bottled water because itā€™s so bad for the environment. We have a whole house filter. During the walk through we stress that itā€™s safe, ecological and cost effective to drink tap water. We also have chilled water and ice via the refrigerator. We have a plastic water bottle in the guest room which we offer guests to use during their stay. Many of our guests (mostly Asian and European) buy bottled water.

I didnā€™t leave a gift as such, but there was a fresh loaf of bread, a pack of croissants, some bottled water, and a jar of biscuits, hoping that would add to the ā€˜someones homeā€™ experience

I bought glass bottles from Ikea and just them for the guests. They have a tray in their room with kettle tea/coffee/bottled water. For the one nighters they get biscuits, a few days fruit and home made baked items, normally something Irish so they can sample something different from their own country.

1 Like

For myself I roast coffee, bake bread, and make cheese. They can share in it and Iā€™m always happy to show them how itā€™s done. Not the cheese so much as that often has to age.

I leave a bottle of Cremant (brut) and some Danish chocolates along with fresh flowers for all my guests.
It makes them feel so welcome and itā€™s so very worth it when I see how happy and appreciative they are because of it.
Water here in Copenhagen is directly from the underground so bottled water is crazy expensive for this reason :blush:
When I come to an Airbnb I usually receive some wine or sweets. I donā€™t expect it all but itā€™s very nice to see as a guest so I can only say go for it!

I always have goodies and cold beverages for my guests. The offerings vary and I try to personalize them, in particular for guests celebrating birthdays and anniversaries. These guests get a small cake and a bottle of bubbly. I typically leave trail mix, granola bars, fresh fruit, yogurt and various beverages including bottled water, both still and sparkling. I do my best to leave freshly baked muffins which many guests mention makes them feel welcomed and appreciated. Perhaps I will scale it back at some point, but the delight it brings my guests makes it worthwhile.

There was another thread in which a host actually did a controlled experiment with one no-goodies flat and one flat with lots of amenities ā€“ and I believe the bare bones flat made just as much money! Has anyone been able to link gifts with return visits or other positive business outcomes? I think many of us are deriving utility from happy reviews and delighted guests, nothing wrong with that as long as it is consistent with oneā€™s goals; I know I am in that boat too and it probably has some brain chemistry dopamine aspect. I am going to do some serious analysis when business slows this winter about maximizing $$$. Including the raising the price/fewer booked nights trade off. Will I be able to do it? Prospects may not be good ā€“ Iā€™ve got a honeymoon couple coming and theyā€™re getting a split of champagne, nice chocolates, flowers and a souvenir mug! Iā€™m too romantic I guess. My husbandā€™s family had a puzzling habit of asking for dessert ā€œon the dinnerā€ or ā€œon the plate.ā€ Turns out the grandfather owned a deli, and ā€œon the dinnerā€ meant a skinny piece of cake because it was included in a fixed price dinner. ā€œOn the plateā€ was charged for separately and was a bigger slice because it made more money. I think my amenities need to be more ā€œon the dinnerā€! I like my guests, but they are neither friends nor family, are they?

3 Likes