Do any of you Leave guests a GIFT upon check in?

I always leave a box of local fudge in my single rooms, and in my cottage I leave fudge, milk, local bread and pastries, Everyone comments positively on them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely do not leave plastic bottles of water! Unless your tap water is contaminated in some way, I am horrified when I do my changeovers to see the massive amounts of plastic bottles people leave behind. They are a bane on the planet! Buy a filter water bottle or pitcher and leave it in the fridge.

2 Likes

For sure filter water bottle or pitcher is even better. The point is leaving the water is a good thing to do.

We have great tap water here and my guests have been happy with the 3 1-L bottles that I fill from the fridge (so itā€™s filtered). Iā€™m sure some guests still prefer their bottled water (though I canā€™t understand how they can enjoy that plastic taste!), but I havenā€™t had any complaints. I wash them in the dishwasher on the sanitary cycle.

I leave those 3 bottles, some k-cups for the keurig, coffee for the french press, some cereals, oatmeal, and other snacks. I also have a tray of sā€™mores fixings, though less than 20% take me up on the offer of a campfire. And those who find the ā€œsecret messageā€ in my house rules get local chocolate or a bottle of wine.

Iā€™ve tried different levels of hospitality - trying to find a sweet spot of pleasing guests and not adding too many extra costs. Going over the top (providing fresh fruits/breakfast items, flowers) seemed to actually work against me ā€“ perhaps it was too ā€œtry hardā€ and got guests in the mindset of finding things to nit-pick? I donā€™t knowā€¦

Thereā€™s no perceptible difference in ratings between folks that get a bottle of wine/extra gift and those who donā€™t. Leaving a personalized welcome note seems to have the best response, so I try to do that for everyone.

I have no Keurig and leave bottles. Oh, the trade offs! Iā€™m going to look for some sort of resuable bottle and try it. The filtered water I buy by the gallon tastes better than the small cheap bottles anyway.

Iā€™m going to try these. Simple, no logo, metal tops attached and price includes a nylon sleeve (which I like for my use.)
https://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Star-Beverage-Stainless-Carrying/dp/B016APS3CU/ref=sr_1_5

we have one too. And yes they still bring in water.
But this weeks guests used the the filtration system for Everything and ran through the 10 gallons quickly.
they did not understand how to use it.

I have NEVER BEEN able to link the extra gifts with reviews.
The gifts are taken for granted.
I have 2 houses.
In my first, we always have given a bottle of wine, coffee, cream OJ, and bagels and muffins.
We have been doing this for 6 years. I also now added in luxury soaps and bath bombs.
This house has 116+ reviewsā€¦about 5 of those are 4 star, and a 2 star and a couple 3 stars. I think it is a 5 star experience and house. I am happy with the 110 5 star reviews, but I dont think the extra gifts would change a thing.
My other house, I give zero gifts. It was my 2nd house. If the cabinet has coffee and spices that is great! Of course it is properly stocked with everything neededā€¦soaps, shampoos, etc. This house has about 70 5star reviews in the past 3 years. Only 5 star.
In my personal opinion, house #1 is the true 5 star.
Summation: provide extras if you want. It will not matter in the review. If they donā€™t like something, all the gifts in the world will not change a thing.

6 Likes

@Gandyv8 Iā€™d say itā€™s more likely than not here in Hawaii that hosts will leave a some sort of gift for the guests. Stuff like Macadamia nuts, fake leis, flowers, etc.

Tim
TurnoverBnB

Iā€™ve found the more gifts you give, the more guests complain. I left milk for guests and they complained there wasnā€™t enough for their sons who are both 6ā€™5" (their words) so now I donā€™t supply milk and no complaints.
Think carefully about what you leave. Alcohol could be problematic for some guests. And I agree with others who hate seeing plastic water bottles when tap water is perfectly okay.
I like to leave fresh fruit because if they donā€™t eat it, I can.

1 Like

@anomaly14, interestingly enough, Iā€™ve found that as well! Isnā€™t it ironicā€¦

Warning - I am not a licensed psychologist, I only play one on Airbnb. I think too much largesse can make SOME people feel ā€œone downā€ and that the host is ā€œone upā€ ā€“ that they now ā€œoweā€ something. So to feel back in balance, they devalue the gift or find a shortcoming in the listing. (Note this does not apply to rich people whose brains have been modified by their experience to EXPECT swag!)
Benjamin Franklin once had an enemy. In order to change that, Franklin asked the man to do him a favor; he asked to borrow a book. The man felt magnanimous and ā€œone up,ā€ and became Franklinā€™s friend. As an astute observer of human nature, Franklin noted this would not have been the outcome if he had done the favor for the other man.
So instead of leaving treats, maybe Iā€™ll experiment with asking my guests to help with the yardwork!

7 Likes

Agree, I gave jars of gourmet preserves the first year and think this made me look too eager and insecure.

Itā€™s not winter in El Paso but it is at Costco. The chocolates are back in stock and they are excellent. $12 for a 2.2 pound bag.

mmmmmmm very astute.
I just got another 5 star review. Guest told me they loved everything verbally too.
You would never know it by reading the review.
Instead of elaborating why it was a 5 star house, and a 5 star experienceā€¦
the entire review is written to warn future guests of all the imagined, or real, shortcomings so they are not caught unaware.
5 star review said:

1. The entry part of the neighborhood is not fancy houses, but our part is good. True. Actually the houses start at about 1.5 million and climb from there. Even the old houses in front are at the least $200K and more likely $300K and up just because of land value.
  2. Using the cot did not work for their group combo, so the daughter had to use the sofa bed. True: Well yes, and this is in every description of bedding and layout. 4 br + 2 sofa beds and 1 cot. Nothing hidden in this.
  3. The driveway can only hold 3 cars, because the owners live in the apartment and you cant block the garage, and also no parking is on the street. True and false. False: The driveway can hold 5-6 cars. Look left. True: The owners live in the apartment. This is all over the listing. True: no parking on the street. The boats will smash your car while heading to the boat landing. There is plenty of driveway room. Contract says no parking in street.
    People make me wonder. I think this is that knock down theory in action.
    Maybe after 125 reviews, guest run out of nice things to say.
    On second thought - here is the actual 5 star review. See for yourself! --------
    Great house & awesome yard! SC, United States
    Date of Stay
    Sep 13, 2017
    Very nice and comfortable home. There is a dock and kyacks/stand up paddle board to use. The beds were all awesome. The house was beautifully decorated. There are a few things to know, this is in the old neighborhood of xxxxxxxx that is slowly being revitalized so you will see houses that are not that nice on your way there. This house is fine, surrounded by nice houses. Also the owners are above the garage so you have to keep your group of cars to a minimum (3-4) and cannot park in street or in front of garage. It worked out fine. We had a party of 9, everyone had a room and my younger daughter had a pull out sofa. There is one room w two queen beds where she could have stayed but awkward for a couple to stay with her. There is also a large closet off of master with a mattress you can use. Again awkward for our situation but can be used for extras.