Discount for repeat customers?

Ive almost doubled my price (and rightly so, no doubt) since Guest stayed. She was my first or second guest. Asked today if the price increase was accurate - she wants to come one night - a Monday (unlikely I’ll get another booking). She didn’t ask for an increase, but do you folks ever offer a discount for a repeat customer? Or just let it be what it is. Thanks.

Yes. If paying direct then knock off the Airbnb or BDC fees.

JF

2 Likes

The discount to the guest is allowing a direct booking, they will save the Air Fees.

RR

2 Likes

RiverRockRetreat

Leader

February 10

The discount to the guest is allowing a direct booking, they will save the Air Fees.

RR

Ok newbie question: how do they do a direct booking?Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

They pay you cash and you block the room just call the guest and make a deal.

RR

@boylston1970, direct booking is NOT through Airbnb.

Direct bookings are always nice.

Direct bookings make me happy.

Not as happy as a glass of wine does, but close :slight_smile:

JF

9 Likes

I do! Only if it’s a repeat guest that was a great guest; left place clean, was low maintenance, great communication and wrote me a nice review.

1 Like

Yes I give a discount to repeat guests if they book directly so that they and I save paying Airbnb fees.

I would never give a discount for a one night stay.

I have quite a few repeat guests who, for some reason, book through Airbnb and not one of them has ever asked for a discount. Had they done so, I might have waived the cleaning fee but I’m certainly not going to offer if they haven’t asked.

Direct repeat guests are the best. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree, I’ve had several long term direct booked guests and they’ve always been very respectful and great to have stay. Obviously I wouldn’t do this is they were a pain in the first place :grin:

1 Like

I see a lot of advice to direct book. Be very careful corresponding about this in the Airbnb message thread. I had a guest correspond with me about this possibility. Airbnb inserted a warning that their policy requires communication and booking only within the Airbnb system. If you plan to get into direct booking be sure that you get personal emails and phone numbers and stay off the Airbnb system other than to block the nights in question. Also remember that AIrbnb protections such as insurance and payments for cancelation will not apply. I have been doing Airbnb since 2012 and can count on one hand the number of people allowed to direct book. It does become more tempting as the guest fees from Airbnb increase.

1 Like

Thanks for this. As far as this one guest, I didn’t have her personal contact info since we communicated solely through Airbnb the first time she was here. She didn’t ask me for a discount and I didn’t offer one through Airbnb channels. But I now have a clearer idea how I’d handle it if it comes up again.

You should have her phone number if she booked before.

RR

Airbnb always gives you the guest’s cell phone. You can call or text to her cell, even if you don’t have her personal email.

As many other hosts have said here, keep the guest’s full name, cell, and any other contact info you gather in your own records. Many of use spreadsheets. Some use paper. I use a spreadsheet and Outlook (my contact software).

Learning, learning…Now that I look back, I see her phone number. And I have started keeping notes (partly just so I remember people!). It seems like there are two strikes against the discount in this case:1) She didn’t ask for it, 2) It’s a one-nighter. Arguing in favor: 1) She was a great guest and 2) She comes to town a few times a year and like it here. It’s all moot in this instance since I’m sure she’s found someplace else. Is this a “no big deal, let it go” situation?

Can you please let us know why you chose only to allow a handful of guests as direct bookings? As most of us here tend to like direct bookings, it would be interesting to have the other point of view. Thanks.

I have several reasons:
-We have three rooms within our home and I like having them all on instant book.
-Frankly I don’t have a good system for tracking direct books other than blocking rooms with a note. I am a little paranoid about double booking.
-I appreciate the insurance, resolution center and support for my cancelation policy through Airbnb.
-I like having Airbnb handle the state occupancy tax.
We have about 20% repeat guests and I rarely get inquiries regarding direct booking. Stays of over 31 days don’t require my state occupancy tax so I occasionally do a longer rental and treat it as I do my other two, non Airbnb, apartments. That said, it is getting more tempting as the fees to guests increase.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I’m sure that will give another point of view to readers . :slight_smile:

Are you relying solely on Airbnb?

For those of you who offer direct booking on future stays, do you make that offer during the stay or after they’ve left?

I’m sure I’m overthinking this, but I don’t want to extend the offer to direct-book until I’ve seen how they left the place. And at that point, texting them to say “thanks for leaving the place in great shape! If you’d like to stay in the future, feel free to reach out to me directly…” feels kind of squicky-sales-ick. :nauseated_face:

Like that feeling when your host says “If there’s any reason you can’t rate us a 5* in all categories…”

Not sure if it would leave a bad taste in ones’ mouth after an otherwise enjoyable visit.

1 Like

I never mention it at all. I leave my card in the rental ostensibly so they’ve got my phone number and contact details for during their stay. Those who might be interested in returning take it with them. 99.9% are good guests anyway though.

I’d say that the majority of direct bookings aren’t from people who were originally Airbnb guests.

2 Likes