Dinged for the cat again!

My cat wasn’t allowed on the counters either! He just did it. If I was out, if I was not looking, if I was upstairs … In the end after 2 years it became pointless. All I could have done was shut him out totally. I think some cats are more trainable than others. May your next cat be an education to you.

So say that to your guests -ahead of time.

You’ve seen one cat, you’ve seen one cat. Our Rizzo likes high places, our Rosie likes to be under things and Maggie jumps into the guests laps!

2 Likes

I would ask them to acknowledge that you have a cat when they send a request to book and also that the kitchen is off limits to the guests since it’s a home with a cat. The cat lives there and they don’t.

2 Likes

Taking away the kitchen use is actually the best solution. We don’t allow it and none seem to mind.

1 Like

And one of my cats used to look for attention and pets from exactly those guests that didn’t like cats …

1 Like

I’m not understanding why they are offended by a cat who does things in a kitchen they aren’t allowed to use?

They are allowed to have a self serve breakfast between 6am and 10am. Maybe I should take away that privilege.

2 Likes

Well I haven’t had cat problems for a good while since I put it in the house rules. However there have been 2 recently. People do not read. So either extra messages or stop allowing breakfast.

@Jess1, In the past, I’ve also had people complain when they arrived at my house to “discover” we have 2 cats that are clearly disclosed in the listing, but it doesn’t happen often, thank goodness.

As for your last guest that marked you down, it sounds like nothing short of not having a cat would have prevented it, since in the eyes on that guest, having a cat makes it impossible for your home to be 5 star clean.

Like you, I make self-serve breakfast available. One of my two cats also likes to jump up on the countertops (and yes, there is no training cats, as those of us who love them know) and the other will rubs guest’s legs while they are sitting at the table. I don’t know if this is a possibility for you, but could you confine the cats to your bedroom or someplace during breakfast hours? Right after they have their breakfast, I grab them both and keep them in my room. I’ve installed a litter box in my master bath so I don’t have to worry about that. Depending on my schedule, they sometimes have to spend most of the day in there, but they’ve got water and toys, so they do okay.

1 Like

You definitely have a workable solution. It sounds a bit hassley for me though. I think I will focus on putting guests off who don’t like cats.

Of course guests have the right to write an unfair review. But mindful ones know that your rebuttal will make them look as thick as a fridge door.

It also lets other people who fancy showing at your home and pushing your hospitality around that this is unacceptable for you.

You have already been torpedoed for their own stupidity and survived it.

Long live the honest review.

1 Like

Most cats jump up on surfaces. Our cat is 15 and continues to do it even though I stop her when I see her doing it. Cats like high places and jumping up is what they do naturally. Getting the cat to pose with an apron is a cute idea if she can get him to stay still with it on! Letting people know that he does this is probably a good idea if it’s something she is dinged for regularly.

4 Likes

Our cat is always on the higher surfaces, tables, benches that way she can look down on the dogs who she has never forgiven us for getting, and they are both fascinated and terrified by her. My ex in laws would always push her off. However guests are not in our house so it’s not an issue nor are the ex in laws. :grinning:

5 Likes

Makes no sense, I like the Superho ‘typo’, I will use that one :wink:

1 Like

Please deliver said cats to my home for safekeeping next time you get a nasty guest. Kindly to not send nasty guests.

2 Likes

Oh yeah! I was a Super Ho until I wasn’t. Which was only because I sold the property and could no longer host. I’ll get that tiara back one of these days when I settle down.

2 Likes

My cat is grey like this one but with a slimmer face.

2 Likes

I have changed the wording in my house rules. ‘I have a friendly grey cat. It is impossible for me to stop him from jumping on the table or worktop 24/7. If this is a cleanliness issue for you then please do not book. There’s also a friendly spaniel who does not go on the table or worktop.’

5 Likes

Yes, why do they do this? I’m OK with cats and have had several, (although never had one that showed me any affection) My husband, au contraire, does NOT like cats and shudders when one comes near. Yet almost every cat we meet mews pitifully at him and tries to jump up on his lap even after multiple rejections. I tell him it must be his Animal Magnetism …