Dinged for the cat again!

Believe me I tried to train him really hard, especially as a kitten, not to jump up. He just did it again when I wasn’t looking, and when I came in the room he’d be up there anyway. Now he’s a fit 16 year old. You can’t teach a young or old cat new tricks. To me it’s a battle I can’t win. I could get him down, then when I left the room he’d be back up there so pretty pointless. High places are naturally attractive to cats.
Guests have self service breakfast over a 4 hour window so I can’t be on cat herding duty for 4 hours a day. I just keep on wiping the surfaces every time I go in the kitchen.
Apparently the most kitchen germs are found on the kitchen sponge and cloth anyway! I regularly launder and replace these.

Yes. I even have a photo of cat massage with a couch and turban! I have a paid hobby of aromatherapy. That photo originated because Gumtree would not allow holistic photos of humans for complementary therapies lol.

Yes it makes sense. However they are eating from plates and bowls sterilised in the dishwasher. That’s why I ask people who might be upset with cats to not book. As we know people do not read. Also I don’t think people know you cannot train or control cats, they think it’s just my neglect. The weird thing was the guest really liked the cat! I just don’t think people understand.
My friend has a photo of my cat and dog reenacting the Monty Python’s English class system sketch. The cat on the breakfast bar as upper class John Cleese ‘I look down on him’, and my poor Spaniel underneath looking up from her basket as working class Ronnie Corbett, ‘I know my place’.

4 Likes

Maybe get him a high place he likes better, like a cat tree? I think that’s what they’re called, indoor ones that are carpeted for their claws.

1 Like

I completely agree! I am animal lover but that is just gross to me!

4 Likes

You might think it’s gross. However it’s not something that you can control at all with cats (unless you shut them out of your property all the time). Therefore it’s part of the deal. Ergo you’re not really an animal lover. That’s totally fine, but don’t blame, just don’t book anywhere with a cat!

I am a lover of Shepherd/Rottie’s have had many, I guess I just am not a cat fan because of that kind of behavior.
Well apparently I’m not the only person who thinks that getting on the table is unsanitary. Not judging you, but you’re getting dinged for it, not me.

Yes but I am getting dinged when people are being asked NOT to book if they don’t like it. That’s the point. Whether or not people think it’s unsanitary is irrelevant.

Cats aren’t really trainable and @Jess1 is doing nothing wrong. I don’t think she needs to be called out on this post. She didn’t post for that. Cats are cats and she’s noted that she has him in her listing. Her cat’s behavior is not abhorrent for a cat; it’s pretty normal. Cats climb and they like to be at eye level of the people around them. Cats are awesome and completely different than dogs. She was looking for advice on how to not be dinged for the cat. Which will be there. And will be on the counters. Full Stop.

With that said, if the dishes are in the cabinet/cupboard before grab and go breakfast, there really shouldn’t be an issue for the guests who acknowledge and confirm cats are in the home. Maybe set out a container of Clorox wipes for the guests just in case the cat walked on the counter during the night and you’re not able to be there before they eat. Again, just trying to brainstorm for you.

I stated a couple ideas above, but only do we know the personalities, behaviors and tolerances of our pets. I have two cats that live with me and all of my guests have noted either in person or in their review or both about how amazing and entertaining Patrick and Susie are while they’re visiting. But my two are not perfect (they are) and as cats, they aren’t trainable (they’re too busy). They tolerate me (I buy their food), guests (they pet them) and life (20 naps a day) on their own terms. :cat:

5 Likes

Absolutely. It’s all a shame because most people love him. He’s handsome, entertaining and friendly. Some guests even come especially for him! The unfortunate counter thing is an uncontrollable downside of having a cat.

4 Likes

A wise host with incredible ratings advised me that if I had wootiecat mentioned in the description, photos, and rules, it is the guest’s problem, not mine. Let them be the ones to sort it out. Enough is enough.

1 Like

I only have one that jumps up on the counter and it’s only when I’m in my kitchen talking with someone else. She’s an attention grabber. She never jumps up there otherwise. My boy could care less. Again, you’re not doing anything wrong and your little man is fine. It’s just his thing. Take the suggestions that make sense.

My blessed Onecat died at 18 last year, and her puckish daughter is at the cottage. I state this in my photos, but i still get people who are disappointed that these friendly Himalayans aren’t here.

1 Like

Maybe you should use the crazy cat lady from The Simpsons as your avatar.

8 Likes

Yes it’s the guests fault of course. However they have the freedom to write an unfair review.

1 Like

Yes with mine it’s an attention grabbing thing. He gets really excited when guests arrive and if we spend too long chatting in the hall he mews to say it’s about time we said hello to him.

1 Like

I want to start again with you’ve done nothing wrong. You put in the requirements that they acknowledge you have a cat in the house and you’ve indicated that in your profile. I am a relatively new host, but I have been going overboard on making sure they understand cats are in the house. I haven’t had anyone cancel because of the cats (it’s still early) and most are cat parents themselves or they love animals in general.

If a guest hasn’t been around cats, they might not understand that they just kind of do what they want, when they want and where they want. But, it isn’t your responsibility to overcompensate for their lack of knowledge. Letting them know he’s there. Letting them know he likes to jump up to the counter sometimes. Letting them know he’s pretty awesome and doesn’t know a stranger. You can’t do much else.

2 Likes

Sounds like a complete tosser, too cheap to pay for a hotel, and searching for fault tirelessly. Don’t take it personally, not worth your energy at all!

4 Likes

Yes he is a tosser. He also gave me a lecture about how washing dishes by hand was more hygeinic and environmentally friendly than a (German) dishwasher. Complete utter nonsense. I bet his own place is a real shit tip lol.

4 Likes

I’ve owned cats all my life and none of them have been allowed on kitchen counters or tables. We have open plan living, so it’s not a matter of shutting them out.

I think maybe people have different expectations for cats. Someone in this thread suggested instead of just saying that you have a cat, you could forewarn about it’s behaviour. An example of this could be: I know I’m not allowed on the kitchen table, but sometimes I’m bold enough to sneak up there anyway. This tends to happen with guests as I am curious.

2 Likes