I am new here and I know the topic of ‘difficult guests’ have been discussed many times over. But let me share my situation and get your input.
I recently had an overseas guest who rented my 1-BR apt for a month. He raised MANY complaints and demands and kept on comparing me to other hosts. I dread answering his messages because I could feel it’d be another complaint. Some of his complaints were:
- The sofa was uncomfortable (It was a brand new sofa bought 1month before, not a lumpy old one)
- The comforter is useless, so get rid of them (He could have folded it and put it in the cupboard)
- The pots and pans were too small (They are not toys, but real pots and pans. How small can they be?!)
- The cutting boards were too small (I provided 2 cutting boards, 1 small and 1 full size)
- The 118-cable channels did not meet his likings as an ‘adult white male’ (118 channels and still…?! It even has 6 sports channels)
- There is no movie channel (We never promised any movie channels)
- “I am a news person and the cable TV doesn’t have a decent news channel” (apparently CNBC, Bloomberg, Al-Jazeera, DW, EuroNews, Channel News Asia are not ‘decent’)
- The clothes hangers were cheap (These are not flimsy hangers from the dry cleaners. I purchased them in a home store)
- The dining room table was too small, and demanded another desk (a proper working desk) to be brought in (The table was a round dining table that fits 4 people, and we are not ‘Airbnb for Work’)
- The food vendors around the apartment don’t speak English so he could’t eat out. He said I provided false advertising! (We are in Jakarta, Indonesia. Right in front of the apartment complex gates there are many local food vendors and restaurants)
- And when I refused to fulfil some of his demands, he started saying that the other hosts would bend over backwards to please him because he was renting for a month.
This went on for almost the entire month he stayed with us. As a new host, I am trying to be courteous and fulfil his demands when I could with the hope he’d give us a 5*. Towards the end, I finally told him that some of his demands were unreasonable. He became very upset.
What would you do to a guest like this without jeopardising your chance of getting a good review? I felt as a host we are sometimes at the mercy of the guests and Airbnb.