Did you host a rioter?

If I were hosting in a USA state capital city, I would consider closing until after 1/20.
The item below is from josh Margolin, an ABC investigative reporter

2 Likes

In Juneau, we know who the local loonies are. Just like the guns compensate for what’s missing, so do the giant jacked up diesel pickups with the giant pipes spewing black smoke, and they wear camo. In a town of 30,000 that is to Alaska like Austin is to Texas, where 85% wear masks, we’ll get a small crowd and they’ll close the street in front of the Capitol, where the Legislature will be in session and the building is secure, especially because of COVID. We get demonstrations there about once a week during the session.

But there are at least 6 AirBnBs within a quarter mile of the Alaska Capitol.

2 Likes

I was going to come to the inauguration. I was in DC 4 years ago as well. I already had decided Covid was too risky to be traveling and alas, didn’t get my Airbnb reservation nailed down quick enough because all the ones I had favorited were rented as I was waffling on my decision. Of course a lot of people are going to be in town for it and not all of them for nefarious reasons… but after this a whole lot fewer !

1 Like

If I had reservations I’d be looking to get out of them. Too many uncertainties now. As if flying weren’t already enough of a headache for one. I wouldn’t put anything past in insurrectionists in terms of planting bombs, protesting violently, attacking or harassing anyone they think is a Biden supporter.

3 Likes

Airbnb announced today they are blocking and canceling all DC reservations for the inaugural.

Airbnb will pay the hosts for the reservations.

1 Like

Paler data has been downloaded & stored by non-law enforcement on publicly accessible servers. Meaning law enforcement can mine the data and use it for prosecution.

Parler foolishly made it easy to change passwords without email verification. Axios published a tiny amount of how the Parler platform functioned. It was just enough for Techies to access Parler Admin accounts & download 90% of the data.

The way it was done did not trigger data theft safety alerts.

Parler was lazy & did not clear time & location stamps off videos & pictures. Also lazy, did not clear deleted files, only data tagged it as deleted so wouldn’t display but saved & accessible.

Parler enrollment required provision of name, email, image of state DL & SSN!

If someone posted their “we were part of the Trump-olution” on Parler their name, state DL with address, SSN(?) and evidence is ALL mineable & usable by the FBI.

Personal note: I think Parler opened it up on purpose. 1.ease of password change
2. Just enough info for techs to grab data
3. No data security alerts tripped
4. Sloppy lack of removal of metadata tags & deletions
5. Day before site platform shut notice sent to members there data was about to go public.

3 Likes

I think Parler is rife with the same incompetence that has infected the entire right wing.

6 Likes

Maybe paler was extreme left deep state all along? Just to get all those crazies personal info?

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

What does this post have to do with blueberry pancake day, bourbon, badminton, duvets vs comforters or any of 1000 appropriate areas of discussion?

Come on folks - keep it on subject!

1 Like

Biden will no longer ride an Amtrak train to his inaugural. The paring down on an already modest ceremony continues. The great thing about Airbnb preemptively canceling and paying out to hosts means many hosts in the DC area are going to be very happy.

2 Likes

I would imagine that even some guests whose bookings for non-nefarious reasons but who don’t feel safe being in DC now will also be relieved that bookings were cancelled without them having to contact Airbnb or beg the hosts for refunds.

And since there are protests in the works for all state capitols, if I were a host in any of those places, I’d be blocking my calendar for the coming week to all new bookings and looking to cancel any that were made in the last few days unless they are repeat guests or those who are evidently not risky.

2 Likes

Here’s to Airbnb for shutting down DC bookings !
A great example of corporate responsibility !

4 Likes

It is just stupid and wildly inappropriate of Air to interfere like this. Innocent until proven guilty. Juries make these decisions, not corporations.
The IRONY is Air RARELY blocks guests when they SHOULD (have caused significant damages, Broke serious house rules - Parties / smoking, caught lying about service animals, have payment issues, etc, etc). This is just more grandstanding by Air execs.
This is one more perfect reason for every host to build a strong direct channel and use as many productive OTAs other than Air as possible.
You can bet money that they will pull the same bs for spring break. Bank on it.

1 Like
2 Likes

I couldn’t disagree more @Jefferson

This is a unique situation.

Anything that can be done to discourage terrorists from coming to Washington is a good thing. I have heard VRBO and hotels are considering doing the same.

6 Likes

Thank you for posting. My heart goes out to those hosts. I’m glad they stayed safe. Crowd mentality kicks in, sanity goes out the door, & people continue the agitated bad behavior.

1 Like

5 Likes

This is real. Lives are at stake. To pretend it is a non-issue is short sighted. It is going to happen again unless action is taken.

Hosts and families could be at risk once crazy energy runs high.

Hotels are being encouraged to either cancel reservations or allow refunds to those who don’t want to be in the middle of this.

@jefferson Whatever faults/problems/concerns you have with Airbnb are not the same as domestic terrorists attacking the capital.

This screen grab is worth a second post. Josh is an investigative reporter

3 Likes

Wow - can’t wait to read this.

1 Like