Design Help for Small Outdoor Space

Hello
I am trying to maximize a small backyard space that I wish I could think of a great idea for. My front yard is a big corner lot. It has seating, string lights, a grill, hammock and seating. So i would like to counter program the small, fenced backyard. It has access to the outside and the back of the home. It does not have a lot of light during the day and no views. Cornhole is pictured there, but not really working. Guests play with it in the front

Any thoughts? I know there’s something im not thinking of!

Although you already have a seating area in the front yard, maybe another, more intimate and private seating area in this space? A small table, some chairs, set on one of those outdoor rugs (not astroturf, but the ones that have attractive designs) and a lot of potted plants in attractive pots. As you say it doesn’t get much sun, there are lots of lovely plants that are suitable for shade.
In nice weather, I could see someone who had to work online using that space to set up their laptop on a table and work undisturbed by the rest of the group. Or having a glass of wine in the evening without being on display in the front yard, which I assume is visible to the street.

And if you host families, you could integrate a childrens’ play area with a box of outdoor-type toys and another outdoor carpet. As it’s fully fenced, parents could let their kids play back there without having to keep a constant eye on them.

4 Likes

Hot tub! In addition, a Tiki Bar : )

2 Likes

Wow amazing - thank you for your thoughtful reply. Almost like a WFH sanctuary of sorts. Maybe one side is the WFH sanctuary, the other one is a play area.

Haha! I have thought about the Tiki Bar. the only thing is that i think people would prefer to hang out in the front lawn with the drinks.

I’m hoping to avoid the hot tub purchase. Id love it and i know it helps. but the upkeep seems like a really big hassle.

1 Like

Yes, and I’ve read lots of accounts over the years of scammer guests claiming they got “a rash” from the hot tub, as an excuse to demand a full refund.

Also, I think we all need to be mindful of the fact that water is an issue in many parts of the world and will continue to escalate. Adding amenities that require massive amounts of water to maintain doesn’t seem to be very environmentally sound. But another thing you could put back there, as it just recycles the water, is some kind of small water feature. The sound of gently falling water is usually something everyone likes.

2 Likes

It’s a beautiful space that can really boost your listing.

My first impression is that the pebbles are not working well (for me). We do have (a lot) of those around our house as well but if you want to make this space more inviting and an asset to your listing I would definitely add plants (potted or in the ground) mixed with an area that is either paved or a deck style terrace. This surely involves a lot more work than what @muddy suggested but for me it would significantly enhance your listing.

As mentioned, placing a small table with a couple of chairs, together with plants certainly provides a more intimate place for guests to enjoy. Even if you add a couple of sun loungers just to have an outdoor lay down in the shade on a hot summer day would be a nice amenity.

I’m sure you’re already aware of the additional upkeep if you add plants (which I really think you should), so planting them directly into the ground will at least make them less dependant on daily watering on hot days (in case the guests are not taking care of that). Potted plants do have their benefits as well but in this scenario I would plant everything into the ground.

The only thing I’d also consider is your neighbors to the left (if there are any?). If this is some in-home hosting situation it should be less of a problem to keep any extraordinarily loud guests in check. Otherwise this is a really cool feature!!! Good luck.

1 Like

I have noticed that people like to gather under a ceiling when they’re outdoors. It’s not even so much about protection from sun and rain; people just like feeling enclosed, especially when they’re eating. I think some kind of arbour or gazebo would be inviting

2 Likes

I agree that the river rock is uninviting except as an invitation for someone to sprain an ankle. We use it a lot out here in the desert so if you are in Phoenix or a similar place, I understand. This is a great area for dogs if you allow pets. It’s okay as a hot tub surround too. If you want to entice people to spend time there you need pavers or a deck. If you are in a mosquito laden area an outdoor space with screen or mosquito curtains would be nice for WFH or meals. You can get a DIY Pergola with metal roof and mosquito curtains for under 6k. I’ve done both projects myself and I’m a 66 year old female. With competent help the project could be done in a week.

If you aren’t looking for that kind of investment and want an inexpensive upgrade then go with something similar to what Muddy suggests. I’d put pavers around that tiny concrete slab, get rid of those spotlights and put a nice down light fixture and some string lights and seating. Plants take care so I might look for something less labor intensive.

2 Likes

Also, if you don’t allow pets, maybe you should consider it. There are so few areas in the country with full tall fenced areas for dogs. Depending on your market you could probably get a hefty pet fee and in my experience dogs are less damaging than tiny humans. If you are fully booked and maxing out income now though, no need to add pets to a winning formula.

1 Like

That’s a good point on the river rocks.

And YES - we are pet friendly and charge a $79 pet fee. HOWEVER - it has been very challenging to collect it. (Im going to make a separate post about that.) The house is doing pretty well. I think theres a bit of room to raise rates, especially if i can ‘activate this space’

I like the idea of seating and lights. I am just trying to think of the best way to encourage people to use it. The fenced front lawn is huge and very inviting. I really need to think of a way to give people something different. I looked into the Tiki Bar idea. It looks like it will be hard to find the right type of builder for that (although a great idea.)

Here’s the front patio @KKC (Also happy to hear feedback on any of this as well)

1 Like

I think it’s a lovely area. If I was a guest there, with how it looks now, I’d wish there was a place to sit and relax there. I visualize potted plants along the house and fence to add color and interest and definitely more string lights. A bistro table to eat breakfast and a couple of cushioned outdoor seats for lounging. Personally, I’d rather see it as an intimate area rather than another place for drinking.
I like the rocks, I imagine it helps with drainage as well. Pavers in front of the door and under the proposed table area and maybe a path to any other chairs would be easy enough and just fine. I hope you post pics after you re-create this space!

1 Like

I’ve been allowing pets for 10 years and have had good luck getting my money. I’ll withhold advice pending your post.

1 Like

Thank you for the ideas. I will definitely post ‘After’ pictures!

Thanks, @KKC the post has the headline 'How do you successfully collect Pet Fees"

Look fwd to your experience! Any other ideas on the backyard yall?

1 Like

just my 2c, that table and chair set in your lawn photo does not look very great for eating or drinking, although you can use the Adirondack chair arms for drinks, it is hard to use any table from Adirondack chairs and that is at a reach. The back area does look very inviting for dogs, but they do like grass too… I think a real table with dining type seating outside is something to consider either front or back. At the back wall end of the side area you could put a loveseat or couch, doesn’t have to be fancy, just on the rugged side, or an outdoor bed, with a rug in front of it daybed type thing with a canopy for shade or protection from falling leaves.

3 Likes

Look on craigslist for tiki bar

I was thinking the same thing about the front yard seating. That little bistro table in the middle of the adirondack chairs seems kind of pointless because it’s not accessible while sitting in the chairs. And it looks out of place.

I’d put 2 lower small tables between each set of chairs. So 1 table for 2 of the chairs. The bistro table could be repurposed in the back yard area.

1 Like

Good call on the table!

Searching craigslist for labor to build the Tiki Bar or something else?

1 Like