Deleted , please argue with someone else

Never mind! I deleted the content. People here are not too friendly and enjoying attack other people
I am not coming here for war guys. Have fun. But don’t reply. Thanks

2 Likes

Are you a new host? This sort of thing is just part and parcel of the hospitality business, I’m afraid :slight_smile:

Guests will ask you the most elementary things, even though you think you’ve explained everything really well in the house tour AND provided a manual. I know that it’s hard for us to believe that guests need to be shown how to use a cafetiere, how to unlock a door, how to adjust the AC, how to get access to wifi etc. but it’s a fact of life for hosts, sadly!

2 Likes

What is it and how do I use it? :slight_smile:

…update…French press. Oh jeez I wouldn’t turn some of my guests loose with one of those…

3 Likes

In all fairness, these people may not have had any experience using the type of fixtures, etc. that you have. Could some of them be from another country?

I’m not exactly stupid, but when I go to my brother’s newly refurbished house I cannot get the hang of using the kitchen sink faucet. Same with the light switches that actually don’t have what I’d consider a switch. Then there’s the sliding glass doors leading onto the patio.

1 Like

Remember that 99% of humans think they are intellectually well above average. :grin:

Seriously, some of my guests do this, but at least they ask and those are less likely to break something, which is cool.

3 Likes

I have had the puzzling “how the faucet works?” and “how do you open the window?” questions, but they were from guests living in Asia so I think that Maybe they do not have the same windows and faucets there.

I once had a very dumb question. Before check-in, I send a guidebook to my guest, with information about the neighborhood and how to get to the Disney parks (bus map, timetables, where to buy tickets, a map and photo to show where the bus stop is ). At check-in, I point to a binder where they can find a printed copy of the guidebook, and explain again how to go to the parks. The very complicated journey :grin: involves walking straight-on for 1 minute to the main square, where there is 1 bus stop with 1 bus line, Disneyland being at the last stop. Guests must cross the main square before they arrive at the apartment from the train station, airport or highway. There are also bus maps and real-time information at the bus stop, and needless to say all passers-by in the neighborhood know how to get to Disneyland. Usually you’ll also see people wearing Mickey and Stitch ears waiting at the bus stop.

One day at lunchtime, I check my phone and notice 4 missed calls from the guest staying in my apartment. Thinking something bad must have happened, I call back and I am asked “how do we go to Disneyland ?”.

The same guests asked for meal delivery by the restaurants at the corner of the street…

2 Likes

Well of course that just might be the case. Some of us tend to be a bit ethnocentric.

…funny that this topic came up. I now remember a guy a couple of weeks ago who went in the bathroom for a shower and was in there quite a while. I didn’t hear any water running. He couldn’t get the single handle faucet to come on and came to me to ask how to work it. We both laughed.

@J_Wang – A couple of years ago I put in one of those kitchen faucets that you just touch or tap anywhere and it turns on or off. Cool feature, right? Yeah, except that I’m so used to it that I keep slapping the heck out of other faucets until I remember that not all faucets react to the touch/tap.

3 Likes

I would love to have you walk in cold turkey, get a glass from the cabinet and fill it with COLD water from the tap in my brother’s house. :slight_smile: Just ONE try!

Ok, speaking of challenged guests. I told the guests if solar system goes below 50% start being conservative so stays above 50%; best for battery longetivity. I get a call from them about being ‘totally out of power’. How odd. I zoom to island (travel 6 long miles) , batteries are at 49%! Goodness.

But when I get to the island, they were quite frustrated trying to catch these snappers under the dock to no avail because they kept getting off since they were only using a line tied around a shrimp, but not using a hook. My neighbor who came with me, kept glaring at me dying to ask - ‘Who are these people’?

Trust me, I got a lot of stories along the same vein. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Im not a new host, I have 10 listings and hosted nearly 2 year. I don’t get this type of guests everyday. Just probably 1 group in 2-3 month. Just come here to complain lol.

1 Like

Heres what I do to prevent those annoying 11pm texts like;where is the wine opener? I meet each guest 99 percent of the time. I have a brief walk through memorized;word for word BUT said in a very unrehearsed tone(at least thats what I think!) I start at the front door and show them how the door lock works…moving to the AC, showing where the remote is…I walk around the geusthouse in the same order, I dont jump from one corner to the next…I quickly cirle around the space pointing every single thing they need to know!!! There are many things I show them…the “BIBLE” for the room which has everything it…I point to where the password is located for the internet.I cover everything they need to know quickly in about 10 minutes. This is crucial to do for 2 reasons; 1.) they get to know you…and I make dumb jokes along the way(the same dumb jokes every time but I like to think it sounds unrehearsed.)At the end of the walk thru, I have met them and made small talk, they have met me and like me(I think so anyway!) and then I get a 5 star review and they never text me because I have covered everything.I dont like to just leave a key or even a “walk thru” sheet because I know people are lazy and dont read;they dont even read my website!So whether they have a low IQ or high IQ they will all benefit from the walk thru and I benefit too because they dont call me.Another thing I do;I leave a check-out instruction sheet on the fridge and it also explains the review system and why its important and I kindly ask for a review and that I will review them also;then 95% of my guests now quickly leave reviews.

1 Like

I do the same, but now have brought it to only 5 stops in the circle and now down to only 7 things they need to know. Five minutes max. I then point them to a laminated sheet on the wall with the 7 points in case they forget. “Bye, see you in 3-5 days”.

Then there is the occasional above-mentioned ‘show stoppers’.

Ok, not wanting to be controversial here but hosts can be pretty stupid too. As in, they assume that everybody speaks the same language and is conversant with how things work in your place. It’s not always the case. Just because I can’t work out how your lock works doesn’t mean I’m stupid. It means you haven’t taken the time to explain it properly. I think hosts should aim to be nice and open and not assume ANYTHING. It’s nothing to do with IQ ffs. Some of the most stupid ignorant people I have met in my life have PhDs and I wouldn’t let them loose anywhere. Well actually, I would and I have - let them be devoured, the twats. The NICE ones, however, get to live.

3 Likes

Diamond, how about your AC? Did you ever get a lock for it?

“I don’t need no stinkin’ briefings.” (Just like Trump)

2 Likes

Gosh, I think the stupidest question I had was “what do we do for the checkout?” and as some of you have seen, I have a four foot high sign in my kitchen detailing how to check out. It is hard to miss.

But really, not many dum-dums. Or maybe they just aren’t lazy, which I think may be the real issue. I’m sure guests could figure this stuff out if they tried.

We must have been lucky so far because we have a number of odd/interesting appliances (like an induction cooktop), locks, etc. AND offer a french press with no physical instruction book, nor do we do a walk-through, and we have not received any questions. I’m always impressed when we find that someone has used all of these devices without messaging us.

1 Like

It is also, at times, of the guest, perhaps, wanting a little extra attention. They want to know you are there, ready to help them. Just a guess.

Or, maybe they are ‘stupid’, but we are all stupid in our own way. That’s what I try to remind myself when I get frustrated.

You do sound like you attract more than your fair share, @Crystalscholar!

I had a group of 4 older (relatively) guests who would get lost a few blocks from my house and then call me. Thankfully they were here only two nights. Yes, I did run out and find them and get them home. Seemed the easiest solution.

Yeah, those types I forced them to walk the 5-minute circle, otherwise they be rifling questions for hours after I leave. I leave a phone in the island for ‘In case they have questions’ OR use Airbnb chat. Then I shut off the phone, and they use the chat. :sunglasses:

2 Likes