Deep scratches on stove

The last guests put some deep scratches in about a one inch circle on the stove around 2 of the burners. It looks like they took a fork or something and scraped the surface. What would you do in regards to this if these were your guests? I don’t know who to call to get something like this. The pictures aren’t posting here.

Is that rust or food detritus on the burner.
Where I am you can order a new top fitting via the manufacturer.
Looks like a heavy duty scourer.
Did you ask the guest what happened?

1 Like

Looks like they had something boil over and make a mess, then used a rough metal scrubby to try to remove it.

I had some housesitters from hell once who did that to my brand new stove. I was seriously pissed.

Look online for replacement parts for that stove and send them a damage claim.

2 Likes

I don’t have any scrubbers in the house that would scratch the enamel off my stove. That is not rust it is grease. We have not asked the guest yet. Just wondering how others would handle it. Ty

While you wait for the replacement part you can use black appliance spray or buy burner covers. I’ve seen them at the Dollar store. It will be a temporary fix until you can replace it.

1 Like

Could be that they scraped with a utensil, or maybe they went out and bought a scrubber.

Is the metal normally black. or ‘stainless’? First thing that needs doing is get in there with a scrubber and remove the detritus. THEN assess the actual damage. Some of those bits are easily replaceable, but if the base pan is scratched the whole (expensive) thing would need replacing.

1 Like

Looks like they used a metal scourer, why you would not stop omg. Charge through damages. I would ask what happened so you get an admission of guilt first.

1 Like

Rondena, I was at Lowes last night and saw at the store “Fix It Stick” which is an epoxy putty compound and is suppose to be food safe. You can fill in those scratches with the putty then use the black appliance spray. It would be a lot cheaper than replacing it or it can be a temporary fix until the replacement arrives.

First thing to do is to see if a replacement part is available. That looks like it’s the piece that is the entire top of the range and it will be expensive. If the range is more than about 20 years old, the part may simply not be available. Find the model number which is usually around the edge of your oven door and do a Google search for replacement parts for the model number.

BTW, it looks like there were already chips in the enamel from the cast-iron grates, so it’s probably not appropriate for the guest to bear the full replacement cost. If it goes to the Airbnb’s Host Guarantee, you’ll find that Airbnb will only offer a pro-rated value based on the cost and the expected lifetime of the damaged item.

1 Like

I found out the whole cooktop piece can come off and be replaced. Unfortunately I’m not close by to see the damage in person.
Yes, as a guest, I would think you would see that you’re scratching the top and stop.
There were no chips in the cooktop from the iron grates.
ABB did reimburse based on the estimate quote I received from an appliance store. Unfortunately the appliance store didn’t show on the scheduled day… if it’s not one thing it’s another!
Thank you all so much for the assistance!!

1 Like

Ritzy
Very helpful information! I had no idea how to proceed with this and feel so much pressure with time to report to ABB before next guests check in date.

1 Like

They denied any damage. This seems to always be the case when something’s damaged or outright broken. Even had one of my first guests hide a pool stick (then in 2 pieces) under a bed & pushed it back against a wall and took another and pieced it together and returned it to the holder. But “they didn’t break anything.”

2 Likes

I can’t believe so many people act like such babies, that they can’t just take responsibility like an adult.
As if you’re not going to find the broken pool cue. Or that when you do, you’ll just assume that it got there all by itself.

1 Like

Or the greasy pots put back in the cupboard,
the burnt top to a timber coffee table,
the disappeared extension cord,
the vanished Roku box,
the burst pool toys,
the broken bed,
the missing decor items,
the cable internet ripped out of the wall
Let alone the missing towels!

2 Likes

Debthecat, Sounds familiar :frowning: